PDA

View Full Version : Slow Response From SlimServer

frankL
2006-03-22, 10:03
I apologize if this is redundant, but I've spent the last 30 minutes searching and trying different things to solve my problem...unsuccessfully.

For a long time, I've been having slow performance issues with SlimServer to the point where I've resorted to putting CDs into a physical CD player (I'm sure your parents told you about those). Here are some examples of my slow performance:

Select "Browse Albums" -- 39 seconds
Select "Browse Artists" -- 41 seconds
Select "Browse Music Folder" -- 25 seconds...

When I Browse [ ], the CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there. For the first half of the waiting period (while nothing is happening) the usage is 95% SlimServer and for the last half while the requested view is being displayed, the usage is 95% Firefox.

I also experience dropouts, but I assume this is part of the same problem.

System:
- Pentium III, 800mhz
- 500MB RAM
- Windows XP Pro
- I use this system for SlimServer, backup and print server so there are no other major programs running

Select SlimServer settings:
- Version: 6.2.2 nightly from last night
- Plugins: none
- Cache size: 30000 pages

Music Library:
- I forgot how to look this up but it's about 5000 songs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

notanatheist
2006-03-23, 00:52
Set your wallpaper to "None", under Control Panel, System, Performance click "Adjust for best performance". Windows itself is a resource hog. Try a different shell like Litestep instead of Explorer if it's not being used as an active workstation. Also, be sure not to be running crap like Norton or McAfee.

mherger
2006-03-23, 01:21
> When I Browse [ ], the CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there. For
> the first half of the waiting period (while nothing is happening) the
> usage is 95% slimserver and for the last half while the requested view
> is being displayed, the usage is 95% Firefox.

What about using IE (not that I'd prefer it, just to be sure it's not a
browser issue)? And what skin are you using?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

frankL
2006-03-23, 08:04
Set your wallpaper to "None", under Control Panel, System, Performance click "Adjust for best performance".

I tried that and I didn't notice a significant increase in speed.

Try a different shell like Litestep instead of Explorer if it's not being used as an active workstation.

Will I still be able to use the computer as a print server -- my other primary purpose?

Also, be sure not to be running crap like Norton or McAfee.

I am running Avast antivirus, but I disabled it (from msconfig startup and rebooted) and still didn't notice a difference in speed.

frankL
2006-03-23, 08:08
What about using IE?

I tried that and it didn't seem to help.

And what skin are you using?

Fishbone. Using the "lite" skin seems to help a little, but it's nowhere near the performance I seem to remember over a year ago.

BlipBlop
2006-03-23, 22:38
I once experienced the same problem and thought it had something to do with a large library of music files (10,000 plus). Back then I used the iTunes music library, so I changed that and let Slimserver look directly into my music folders and that solved the problem for me...

I must say that I do not miss any functionality by NOT using the iTunes music library.

I still experience that my Squeezebox 3 hangs a little while when I start it (that means it takes a little while before it is operational and I can start listening to music). But I think this has to do with that the harddisks that it streams music from have gone into sleep/dwelling mode so the harddisk has to be "woken up" first.

notanatheist
2006-03-23, 23:59
Using a different shell won't affect your network share including your printer. You just lost the traditional look of Windows. How many processes on startup? Under MSCONFIG go to the "Services" tab, check "hide all MS services" and see what else is hiding around.

frankL
2006-04-04, 14:06
Using a different shell won't affect your network share including your printer. You just lost the traditional look of Windows. How many processes on startup? Under MSCONFIG go to the "Services" tab, check "hide all MS services" and see what else is hiding around.

The only things *running* are an HP fax program that seems to keep coming back after I disable it and Avast anti-virus, but when I disabled that it didn't make a discernnable difference.

I also tried changing the the "items per page" in the server settings to 30 (from something like 200). That helped a lot, but I still get dropouts when I am listening to uncompressed tracks and browsing through artists, albums, music folder etc. Maybe this is just normal.

radish
2006-04-04, 14:51
No, it's not normal. Pull up task manager and switch to the performance tab. What do the numbers at the bottom say when SlimServer is idle?

frankL
2006-04-04, 14:59
No, it's not normal. Pull up task manager and switch to the performance tab. What do the numbers at the bottom say when SlimServer is idle?

Processes:21
CPU: 1%
Commit Charge: 206M / 1249M

frankL
2006-04-04, 15:07
Maybe this helps -- picture of Performance tab. The spike in CPU usage is when I "Browse" something.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1104/untitled6ea.png

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-04, 15:20
Maybe this helps -- picture of Performance tab. The spike in CPU usage is when I "Browse" something.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1104/untitled6ea.png

Those spikes are 100%. You are running out of CPU cycles. And you shouldn't be, your server is fast enough.

Now nearly the same thing happened to me with 1500 songs and a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. I wasn't listening to music at the time, but Browse Music Folder caused SlimServer to become completely unresponsive and even crash a few times.

I think the problem was I didn't have my music arranged in the expected Artist/Album folder structure. That brute-force listing of ~1500 tracks was enough to bring SlimServer and my P4 2.8 to its knees. If you have 5000 songs arranged in a single folder, it will be much, much worse, especially on your PIII 800 MHz.

So are you using an Artist/Album folder structure?

Fortunately if you don't, the solution is simple and free with Mp3tag. I'll post details about it if this turns out to be the problem.

frankL
2006-04-04, 16:02
So are you using an Artist/Album folder structure?

Yes. To be sure, here is an example:

Music
- The Beatles
-- Abbey Road
-- Let it Be...Naked
--- Track 1
--- Track 2
--- Track 3

I also get those spikes when I browse albums or artists.

Could it be a problem with my tagging? ...now that I think of it, I used MusicMatch to tag most of my files. The tags include artwork, if that makes any difference.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-04, 16:20
Hmm.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to double-check the tags in an alternate tagging program just to see if anything is amiss.

Also check your music folder for recursive shortcuts, shortcuts pointing to a deleted folder or files, etc.

Is your hard drive unusual at all? Seems like it's something in the drive structure or performance.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-04, 19:02
For comparison, I have about 8500 tracks and "Browse Albums" takes about 3 seconds. 1.8GHz P IV. Otherwise, roughly same size memory, etc, as you. So you should be seeing 6-8 seconds. Not 39.

frankL
2006-04-06, 12:51
Note: I continued this thread as http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=100224#post100224 because I think the problem has something to do with tagging.