PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.2.1 problems after upgrading to Mac OS 10.4

mckenzie
2006-03-22, 08:49
After upgrading my Powermac G5 from OS 10.3 to 10.4, my SlimServer 6.2.1 has started exhibiting some strange behavior:

- if I cue up a random song playlist, the songs that play don't correspond to the "Now Playing" display
- if I start playing in the middle of an iTunes playlist, I hear the first song in the playlist, even though the info for the selected song is displayed in "Now Playing"
- after doing either of the first two actions, I can no longer play albums selected by Browse or Search. "Now playing" displays normally, and the SB3 claims it is playing the first track, but there is no sound, and the play counter doesn't advance. Restarting the server restores normal operation.

I have already removed and re-installed SlimServer, to no avail. (The only file I preserved was the settings file, because I didn't want to have to recreate all the settings - I inspected it with a text editor, and couldn't see anything fishy.)

Has anyone seen something similar? My first thought was that there was a database issue, but the reinstall should have fixed that...

David
-------------
clio.mckenzie@verizon.net
david.mckenzie@group1.com

axiomatic
2006-03-27, 23:22
I'm running SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 6523 - Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454) - EN - utf8 on an Intel iMac and experience none of the symptoms you describe. I wonder about your decision to keep the settings file, since the first thing I suspect when appications go wrong are the preference and settings files. (That's ONE thing that hasn't changed from the olden days before OS X!) I understand the value of eyeballing the file, but let me also suggest you consider backing it up and deleting it to see whether that solves your problem. Are you certain you got rid of ALL the related files--com.slimdevices.slim.plist, etc.?

You might also consider testing whether 6.2.2 works better for you.

Good luck.

mckenzie
2006-03-28, 07:36
axiomatic gives good advice - a second re-install including deletion of the prefs file restored most functionality. (I missed the plist file, though - either it wasn't implicated, or that is the source of my remaining problems as described below. I will take a look at it if I have time when I get home tonight.)

I am still having some weird behavior when the user login associated with the server process isn't logged in interactively - tracks cue up normally, but won't start playing. (They stay stuck at 0:00) I suspect some kind of permissions issue - it seems like maybe the server can read its database, but not the m4a files.

David
---------------
clio.mckenzie@gmail.com