PDA

View Full Version : Silly question from a computer fool...

hifisteve
2006-03-22, 06:43
Many apologies if this is a daft question with a simple answer but....

Is there anything I can do on my PC so that waking up my SB downstairs will rouse my PC from sleep/stand-by?

The problem I have is that my PC's a bit noisy (in much the same way as a hovercraft is a bit noisy) to be left on all the time so I've set it up to go into stand-by when left alone. Trouble is that waking up my SB doesn't start it up again.

Any ideas folks? My alternative will be to have to silence my PC but frankly the range of silent PC bits confuses the life out of me.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-22, 06:56
Your PC needs to support Wake-On-LAN (WOL). If you're using a network interface built into the motherboard, this option should be in your BIOS settings. If you're using an add-in NIC, there should be a WOL cable connecting it to a WOL jack on your motherboard. You'd also need to set a BIOS option here.

You may also have to set your OS to wake-on-LAN.

hifisteve
2006-03-22, 07:11
Now remembering that I'm a computer fool, my network connection is via a Belkin USB 'widget' plugged into a 2 port USB2 card
which I fitted because my PC (which is about 2+ yrs old) didn't have any USB2.0 ports as standard.

So I'm not using the motherboard fitted network socket and I don't recal connecting any cables when I installed the card.

I'm stuffed aren't I?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-22, 07:25
Maybe not, check Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network Connection - Local Area Connection - Properties - Configure - Advanced. You may see a WOL setting here.

Your chances are not good though. With this many things in the chain there's a lot that can go wrong, even if it did support WOL. Also this wouldn't be WOL, this would be "wake-on-USB", which I've never heard of before...but USB power is provided even during standby, so it is possible.

stinkingpig
2006-03-22, 07:31
hifisteve wrote:
> Now remembering that I'm a computer fool, my network connection is via a
> Belkin USB 'widget' plugged into a 2 port USB2 card
> which I fitted because my PC (which is about 2+ yrs old) didn't have
> any USB2.0 ports as standard.
>
> So I'm not using the motherboard fitted network socket and I don't
> recal connecting any cables when I installed the card.
>
> I'm stuffed aren't I?
>

as long as you're using that widget, probably. However, why? If the PC
is about 2+ years old, it should have an ethernet port on the motherboard.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996