PDA

View Full Version : Office Music System Questions

fred21
2006-03-21, 07:19
I'd like advice on best use of the Slim Device for my office music.

Eight workstation + dedicated server wired network dental office. Music will be mp3 (at first) and then move to FLAC.

My question is... What is the best use of hard drive storage to store music and run Slimserver? I was thinking of running slimserver off one of the most unused and most undemanding workstations and connecting a USB drive to it that stores the music. Would that be best for a hardware overusage, underusage 'swapable if something goes bad' standpoint?

This way, I can access the drive (share it) from my private office to add and delete songs and have it out of the way and in a cool place.

It would basically be put on shuffle and let play eight/nine hours a day and cut off at night.

Separate NAS drive (Infrant) is an option, but would that be overkill. Would I not have drop-out issues with FLAC since it would be put on play and left alone?

Thanks for this information. Couldn't find something like this in other posts...

Rick in Houston, TX

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-21, 13:31
My question is... What is the best use of hard drive storage to store music and run Slimserver? I was thinking of running slimserver off one of the most unused and most undemanding workstations and connecting a USB drive to it that stores the music. Would that be best for a hardware overusage, underusage 'swapable if something goes bad' standpoint?

This way, I can access the drive (share it) from my private office to add and delete songs and have it out of the way and in a cool place.

Sure, that would work. USB 2.0 is fast enough and this would make for a fairly fast SlimServer.

If something does go bad, make sure to maintain a mirrored USB drive.

Separate NAS drive (Infrant) is an option, but would that be overkill.

Depends how much music you want. The largest single drives for installation in an external USB enclosure are 500 GB. If your music collection will be larger than that, then yes, you'll need a multiple-drive NAS. 500 GB is a lot though - should be 10 000 FLAC tracks or more.

Would I not have drop-out issues with FLAC since it would be put on play and left alone?

A wired network with a PC dedicated as a server should not have any dropout issues.