PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Zero Configuration (windows users)

nocaster
2006-03-20, 15:08
Im not the most technical person on here by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought i'd post this up to (hopefully) save some people the time and pain I went through.

Ive had my squeezebox for sometime now and mostly been happy, but i was getting plagued by drop outs and what seemed to be network related problems. After much investigation I found my problem to be the Windows (xp in my case) zero configuration service.

I had used this tool to configure the wlan settings on the Pc that acts as my slimserver, music library etc. Well it turns out that this little sucker constantly searches for wireless networks and disconnects from the existing network.

The solution is easy - disable the zero configuration service (and make sure it doesnt start up when you reboot) and use the propriety wlan config tool that comes with your wireless card.

Hopefully this will help somefolks out and isnt blindingly obvious to you techies on here

Cheers

James

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-20, 16:24
Good advice - my Zero Config continuously fights for control over my Intel Network Connector.

When I go in to one, I find the other has taken control.

Wirrunna
2006-03-20, 20:57
This should be added to the new page on wireless networks in the wiki.

funkstar
2006-03-21, 02:46
this looks like another symptom of wireless networking being an imature technology. I used to get occasional problems with two other networks near me, the strang ething was neither is very strong and my laptop was only a couple of meters away from my AP. but since i added a high gain antena to my netgear box i've not had any problems. This was all before getting my two SBs as well.

Oh yeah, i use the windows wireless network manager instead of the intel one.

hunta
2006-03-21, 06:40
That sounds handy - thanks. I spent a few minutes researching this and came across what looks like a handy article. I'll try it later:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3573316

nocaster
2006-03-21, 11:15
Read the article and to be fair I forgot to point out that I "hide" my ssid. Not sure wether I would have suffered the same problems if I didnt.

James

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-21, 14:13
This should be added to the new page on wireless networks in the wiki.

I don't mean to sound crass, but the wiki is editable by anyone, so if you see something that should be added to it, have at it. :-)

Personally I'd rather not add it as it won't help all that many people. This assumes that the SlimServer PC is wirelessly connected to the network. This is a BAD IDEA. Your music has to go through 2 wireless hops (SlimServer to router, router to Squeezebox). Sure it may work for MP3 but for FLAC and WAV you'll be straining the wireless network and you will likely experience dropouts.

ezkcdude
2006-03-21, 14:20
I don't mean to sound crass, but the wiki is editable by anyone, so if you see something that should be added to it, have at it. :-)

Personally I'd rather not add it as it won't help all that many people. This assumes that the SlimServer PC is wirelessly connected to the network. This is a BAD IDEA. Your music has to go through 2 wireless hops (SlimServer to router, router to Squeezebox). Sure it may work for MP3 but for FLAC and WAV you'll be straining the wireless network and you will likely experience dropouts.

That's how I do it. I assumed most people here are set up this way.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-21, 14:38
That's how I do it. I assumed most people here are set up this way.

It won't work in cases where you have marginal 1-hop wireless bandwidth to start with. I doubt it would work for me.

I had assumed that most people had a wired SlimServer because it often is their primary computer, which is usually close enough to the modem and router to be wired to it.

My concern if we put this in the wiki is that we don't want to be encouraging newbies to do this as it's asking for trouble.

fuzzyT
2006-03-21, 14:43
Mark Lanctot wrote:

> My concern if we put this in the wiki is that we don't want to be
> encouraging newbies to do this as it's asking for trouble.

Then that's exactly what the wiki entry should state.

1) Don't do this.
2) When you do this and it doesn't work very well, try this: ...
3) See 1

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-21, 14:48
Then that's exactly what the wiki entry should state.

1) Don't do this.
2) When you do this and it doesn't work very well, try this: ...
3) See 1

LOL! Sounds good to me.

I realize it's convenient for some people to do it this way though.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-21, 14:58
Well you did prompt me to put something in the wiki in the Beginners Guide to Servers page, http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToServers

Wired or Wireless?

Ideally your SlimServer should be wired to your router.

If your SlimServer PC is wirelessly connected to your router, all its traffic will go over two wireless hops: the SlimServer to the router and the router to the Squeezebox. This restricts bandwidth and may cause dropouts in radio-adverse environments with high-bandwidth lossless music formats.

This is not to say it won't work as more than a few SlimServer users do it this way, but caution is advised.

Feel free to edit.

I'm not trying to offend anyone doing this wirelessly, I just want to make sure new users are aware of this.