PDA

View Full Version : New foobar2000 0.9 as it relates to SlimServer

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-20, 09:54
I notice that foobar2000 0.9 went final yesterday.

I understand it's very different from 0.8.3. How do people find it at doing SlimServer-related tasks, i.e.:

- encoding FLAC to MP3?

- encoding one bitrate MP3 to another (for use in portable players)?

I could never get my 0.8.3 to export tags at all, hopefully 0.9 is better. I also could never get 0.8.3 to use MAREO - 0.8.3 would not pass any tag data and MAREO would crash.

funkstar
2006-03-20, 15:55
I'm running a large convertion task with 0.8.3 so i'll wait till it's done before updating to 0.9.

But looking at the changelog is interesting, especially "Improved audio CD support, with simple secure ripping functionality". I don't know how secure this is or how it compairs to EAC.

autopilot
2006-03-20, 16:53
Never had a problem with exporting tags, but have noticed a couple of things; Firstly, i miss the 'Show file info' menu, i found editing tags much easier with 0.8.3, even though you can do a bit more with 0.9. Also, the Libary/Album list is a far to fussy for my liking; Even if two files/tags have the same artist and album value yet have a different year value etc, it shows up as different albums on the list.

Small niggles though, just needs playing with a bit to get used to it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-22, 07:47
I just noticed that streaming from SlimServer with foobar 0.9 won't work for me anymore with localhost or 127.0.0.1, I have to use the proper network IP address.

It isn't the end of the world, but it's a PITA as all my settings for the player are gone. Not that I used it much though.