PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to SB with Slimserver

rocket j squirrel
2006-03-19, 22:49
I'm clearly doing something wrong. I have a new wireless SB3, and am running Slimserver 6.2.1

What IS working:
The SB connects to SqueezeNetwork. I can listen to Internet Radio. Pandora is a pleasure.
My computer can tell SN what radio channels I want to listen to, and control volume and stuff, and the SB responds correctly.

What ISN'T working:
When I'm not connected to Internet Radio (Signed Off), Slimserver says that my player is not found. But I can ping the SB from my computer (Win XP, SP2).

For a brief moment yesterday, I did connect to the SB, and when I use the remote, I can see that it found some of my music files. But though it displays the names, it's not playing them. Is there some way to smack the SB, or slimserver, upside the head and get them to talk to each other?

ceejay
2006-03-20, 00:39
OK, so the SB is definitely on your network, but won't talk to slimserver ... Two possibilities spring to mind.

(1) you've not configured the SB to use your slimserver. When you configured the SB (setting up networks etc) do you remember being asked about which slimserver it should be connecting to?

(2) your firewall is getting in the way. If you have a firewall on your PC (as you should!) then it may need to be configured to allow ports 9000 and 3483.

If you can't fix this straight away, post back with info about what firewall you're using and someone might be able to give more specific guidance.

HTH

Ceejay

rocket j squirrel
2006-03-20, 07:42
Hi -- thank you for your response.

1. When I first set up the SB, I told it to use Laptop A. Now I have decided that I no longer want to use Laptop A to connect to the SB, I want to use Laptop B, as it is the one with my music library on it. Laptop B is the machine that I want to connect with , but cannot. I have been poking through the SB's menus with the remote trying to find the secret area where this can be changed. Is there a FAQ on this?

2. The firewall on Laptop B has all the requisite holes punched through, as described in the documentation, and turning off its firewall does not help. So I think #1 (above) is the main deal here.

danco
2006-03-20, 10:10
Looks as though you need to configure the SB again.

Press and hold the Power key until you get the setup screen.

Go through the setup procedure. You don't have to enter most of the information again, just pressing the Right button will move through the steps.

Do this until you get the Connecting to wireless network message, and then the Connected to Network.

I think it is at this point that you will be asked which address your SlimServer is on. I'm pretty sure that pressing the eUp and Down buttons will move through all the computers on the network - if I'm wrong you may have to enter the address manually. Just choose the correct address (of course you have to know the numerical address of your computer) and continue the setup process.

If you have removed computers from the network and then added them again, there is a possibility that the address of the computer you want has been changed.

rocket j squirrel
2006-03-20, 18:30
Worked like a charm! So . . . when fresh out of the box, SB needs to be told where to look to find the Slimserver. If you want to change to another server, you have to do the "hold down the power button to enter the config menu" thing. On-the-fly switching would be nice, as a wishlist item.

Thank you for your help!

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-20, 18:57
Ah - I see what you were thinking.

Keep in mind SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork are two different things. When you are connected to one, the other one won't see your player.

This is normal behavior. The SB can't handle being connected to two servers at the same time.

Slim's intention is to make SqueezeNetwork integrate more seamlessly into SlimServer, so this may not always be the case, but that's the way it is now.

danco
2006-03-21, 00:56
Worked like a charm! So . . . when fresh out of the box, SB needs to be told where to look to find the Slimserver. If you want to change to another server, you have to do the "hold down the power button to enter the config menu" thing. On-the-fly switching would be nice, as a wishlist item.

Thank you for your help!

In fact, when fresh out of the box the SB will look for a SlimServer. When it has found one (if more than one, you have to choose), it will in future connect to that one until you go through the process again.

I guess people don't change the computers on which the SlimServer is running often enough to make it any easier than at present.

Robin Bowes
2006-03-21, 04:53
rocket j squirrel wrote:
> Worked like a charm! So . . . when fresh out of the box, SB needs to be
> told where to look to find the Slimserver. If you want to change to
> another server, you have to do the "hold down the power button to enter
> the config menu" thing.

Pressing and holding the left arrow will have the same effect without
re-booting.

> On-the-fly switching would be nice, as a wishlist item.

Yes, I would like to see that too. I run three instances of slimserver
(trunk, BRANCH_6_2_x and split-scanner) and it would be nice to easily
switch between them!

Vote here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2607

rocket j squirrel
2006-03-21, 08:17
I will vote for this -- thanks for the link.

Those, like you, who have more than one Slimserver running would benefit. Those, like me, who initially set their up their SB to connect to one server, then changed their mind later, would also benefit.

I also think that there should be some way to switch the SB from SN to server mode, and back again without using the remote would be nice. I'd like a button on SN's web interface that says, "Switch to Slimserver (and maybe even list the available servers . . . ); and one on server's interface that says, "Go to SqueezeNetwork." It's not just laziness -- I have enough remotes cluttering the place.