PDA

View Full Version : Discovering my own music collection

GregF
2006-03-19, 19:39
Now that I've got about 480 albums ripped and loaded into SlimServer, I'm loving the random song mix feature. I'm discovering music in my collection that I didn't even know I had and old favorites keep coming up in fresh new ways. I'm doing most of my listening with pop, folk and folk/rock genres checked and a 3 second crossfade (using the very handy Dynamic Transition Updater plugin). Classic rock, blues and pop is fun too. I've found quite a few songs and at least one artist (Katy Moffet) that I had never heard before. I've always been a believer in listening to albums all the way through, because that's the way the artist intended that their work be heard. SlimServer has made me change my ways.

nathanroberts1
2006-03-20, 09:53
I'm interested in your experience as since I've put all my music together on the Slimserver I feel completely overwhelmed by the amount. It's by no means a colossal collection, about 40gb of mp3/flac, but where do you start? There must be so much I just browse past or never hear.

I guess I need to start hitting random like you and start building up some playlists!

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-20, 10:00
I think Random Mix is the best thing about SlimServer 6.2.1 and 6.2.2. It works very well, although it seems to repeat a few tracks a bit too much. I understand mathematicians call this "The Birthday Paradox", where you notice patterns in random events only because one item before all others stands out in your mind.

Just remember, if you restart SlimServer or rescan, you have to restart Random Mix. The playlist generated by Random Mix will stay there and your player will keep looping through it.

Skunk
2006-03-20, 10:02
I learned to love randomness in playback as well, having previously been a 'whole album' type. I prefer the no-fade transitions, for the occasionally odd juxtaposition. One of my favorites is a Cash/Nelson Storytellers track into a hit-the-ground-running rock or techno song. Some electronic music has great voice samples that make for fun lingui-musical transitions. Other times I'm amazed how similar the general mood or rhythm of one random song going into the next can be. I had a pet theory about the intelligence of Slimserver's random play mode before a recent thread disproved it.

I wonder if any artists have done multi disc albums designed to transition seamlessly? I'd also like to hear an album written with songs designed to be played in random, with transitions designed to work no matter the order. The old paradigm said put the best tracks first and last [speculation]. For example, the producer of NIN 'The Fragile' (same producer as 'The Wall' IIRC) suggested arranging the four best songs in the 'four corners' of the double disc (1st,last-\-1st,last). It will be intresting to see how things progress/change.

snarlydwarf
2006-03-20, 10:32
I had a pet theory about the intelligence of Slimserver's random play mode before a recent thread disproved it.

I'd also like to hear an album written with songs designed to be played in random, with transitions designed to work no matter the order.

Who says Slimserver isn't AI?

While I was reading that, Henry Kaiser's Re-Marrying for Money was playing on Random Play.

The liner notes for that disc note that it is a 75 minute or so CD and that the 'proper' way to play it is to put it on random play on your CD player.

Of course, it has no real 'transitions' between tracks worth... but still, it was creepy to read your post and remember the liner notes to that disc. :)

rkeeney
2006-03-20, 10:35
I've always been a believer in listening to albums all the way through, because that's the way the artist intended that their work be heard. SlimServer has made me change my ways.

My wife has still not 'taken to' the SB (I've only had it for 14 months). However, last night during dinner, I threw a random mix playlist together of about 8 different compliation albums and she enjoyed the variety very much, especially when Ella Fitzgerald came on.

Maybe in another few years she'll start to actually use it.

Skunk
2006-03-20, 10:40
it was creepy to read your post and remember the liner notes to that disc. :)

I guess the theory lives on. It can be downright spooky at times!

RonM
2009-06-04, 19:44
I like random mixes, too, although full-on random can be a bit much. I get annoyed when listening to discover that a 15 minute opera duet interrupts a nice sequence of other non-classical stuff.

Of course, genre selection fixes that (assuming that your tags are coherent, which is not necessarily true for me).

I do like to create substantial playlists which I can then put on random. For instance, I tried to identify every male/female duet that I had or could get, and put most on a playlist. It's got everything from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong to Dolly Parton and Jack White to Ane Brun and Ron Sexsmith (Norwegian and Canadian folksingers respectively). I love putting those hundred-plus tracks on random.

Another thing I've done is to sort all my songs by name, and identify the (very many) different versions of the same song, and then to play them in pairs or trios. I call these "Alternate Takes". I've a vast number of these, so many that the playlists I've made are alphabetized (e.g. Alternate Takes A-B). Can't play them random, because then you lose the pleasant weirdness of completely different back-to-back playing of the same song, but it has a similar effect -- when you alphabetize them, you get a kind of semi-random sort, with, for instance, A Day In The Life (Beatles, George Martin/Jeff Beck) bracketed by Comes Love (Joni Mitchell, Robin McKelle) and Do It Again (Shirley Horn, Diana Krall). Or Goin' Down Slow (Duane Allman, Howlin' Wolf) with God Only Knows (Holly Cole, Manhattan Transfer) and Goodnight Irene (Tom Waits, Ry Cooder). Sweet.

Ron

RonM
2009-06-04, 20:16
I like random mixes, too, although full-on random can be a bit much. I get annoyed when listening to discover that a 15 minute opera duet interrupts a nice sequence of other non-classical stuff.

Of course, genre selection fixes that (assuming that your tags are coherent, which is not necessarily true for me).

I do like to create substantial playlists which I can then put on random. For instance, I tried to identify every male/female duet that I had or could get, and put most on a playlist. It's got everything from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong to Dolly Parton and Jack White to Ane Brun and Ron Sexsmith (Norwegian and Canadian folksingers respectively). I love putting those hundred-plus tracks on random.

Another thing I've done is to sort all my songs by name, and identify the (very many) different versions of the same song, and then to play them in pairs or trios. I call these "Alternate Takes". I've a vast number of these, so many that the playlists I've made are alphabetized (e.g. Alternate Takes A-B). Can't play them random, because then you lose the pleasant weirdness of completely different back-to-back playing of the same song, but it has a similar effect -- when you alphabetize them, you get a kind of semi-random sort, with, for instance, A Day In The Life (Beatles, George Martin/Jeff Beck) bracketed by Comes Love (Joni Mitchell, Robin McKelle) and Do It Again (Shirley Horn, Diana Krall). Or Goin' Down Slow (Duane Allman, Howlin' Wolf) with God Only Knows (Holly Cole, Manhattan Transfer) and Goodnight Irene (Tom Waits, Ry Cooder). Sweet.

Ron

jdbaker
2009-06-04, 21:07
I like to make playlists scrolling through my album list,(800 albums)picking 8 - 10 albums then playing the songs in shuffle. When the list finishes I clear it and do it again.It just takes a couple of minutes and makes me listen to stuff I have not heard in a while.

RonM
2009-06-05, 04:40
. . . I thought I'd edited and saved, but I appear to have posted again.

R.

nik8
2009-06-05, 07:06
For those of you who feel like you're suffering from music paralysis caused my the amount of GBs you've got, check out MusicIP. This piece of software revolutionised my listening habits and broke my 'I only listen to about 10 artists' habit :)

It integrates brilliantly with SC and also checkout the SugarCube plugin to make it even easy.

As a standalone product, the MIP GUI client is fantastic at allowing you to browse your collection (mp3, flac, aac, wav ...) in loads of ways, filtering on meta data, creating playlists based on acoustic data which is great fun.

The product development unfortunately has stalled but the current version is stable and works just fine.

My view anyway :)

N

Dogberry2
2009-06-05, 07:31
Letting the software pick selections at random can make for some interesting listening, but playing with your collection manually can be fun. I spent a lovely afternoon once putting together a playlist of same-song/different-artist crossovers, something like this:

Song X by artist A, then by artist B
Song Y by artist B, then by artist C
Song Z by artist C, then by artist D

And so on. Occasionally I'd do three or four versions of one song by different artists before changing. It was cool when I could complete a full "loop" and get back to the artist I started with. And it was really fun listening to the results, with some songs done in vastly different styles back-to-back. I believe "Summertime" by Oscar Peterson, then Susan Werner, then Janis Joplin, then Booker T. & the M.G.'s, then Ten Years After, then Paul McCartney was my longest and most stylistically varied string.

Coming up with different "games" to play with your music like that can be a lot of fun when you have people over (provided they're people who know something about music).

RonM
2009-06-05, 13:11
For those of you who feel like you're suffering from music paralysis caused my the amount of GBs you've got, check out MusicIP. This piece of software revolutionised my listening habits and broke my 'I only listen to about 10 artists' habit :)

It integrates brilliantly with SC and also checkout the SugarCube plugin to make it even easy.

As a standalone product, the MIP GUI client is fantastic at allowing you to browse your collection (mp3, flac, aac, wav ...) in loads of ways, filtering on meta data, creating playlists based on acoustic data which is great fun.

The product development unfortunately has stalled but the current version is stable and works just fine.

N

Are you using and describing the MusicIP Mixer? Seem to be multiple products.

R.

nik8
2009-06-07, 15:50
Are you using and describing the MusicIP Mixer? Seem to be multiple products.

R.

Yeah thats right, the mixer. There are other products such as iTunes and Winamp plugins but its the mixer that integrates with SC.

iPhone
2009-06-07, 17:42

Ron

WOW Ron, I have got to hand it to you or you should win an award! I would have started another thread only because I won't have found this one. Dormant for 3 Years, 2 months and now this thread is alive and kicking again.

Anyway, this thread has many truths. Squeezebox has helped me rediscover old music and have the time to listen to more of it because of not needing to hunt through Jewel Cases.

I guess I am an Album Rock/Jazz guy at heart. I like to listen to Albums all the way through. Guess I got in the habit when I was a DJ at the college radio station. We didn't play full albums but a good 75% of what we played was a full album side (it was all LPs back then).

dhallag
2009-06-08, 19:36
Now that I've got about 480 albums ripped and loaded into SlimServer, I'm loving the random song mix feature. I'm discovering music in my collection that I didn't even know I had and old favorites keep coming up in fresh new ways. I'm doing most of my listening with pop, folk and folk/rock genres checked and a 3 second crossfade (using the very handy Dynamic Transition Updater plugin). Classic rock, blues and pop is fun too. I've found quite a few songs and at least one artist (Katy Moffet) that I had never heard before. I've always been a believer in listening to albums all the way through, because that's the way the artist intended that their work be heard. SlimServer has made me change my ways.

now that i've got my DUO working, i'm buring CD's like crazy!!

Dean100
2009-07-01, 13:27
now that i've got my DUO working, i'm buring CD's like crazy!!

Yep! Burn, Burn, Burn....

Have had my Duet since they first came out. This has changed the way I listen to music. Am listening to stuff in my 490 CD collection that I haven't listened to in years! This has truely gotten me back into music big time and have been buying more music the last couple of years than I have in a long while.

Phil Leigh
2009-07-01, 15:23
what is this "burning"? - sounds so last century...

Skunk
2009-07-01, 18:10

Yes- I would advise against actually burning the physical media, liberating as the Squeezebox may be. Not only would the fumes likely be bad for the environment, but you may need to rip them again at some point... or if you don't keep receipts- prove to the RIAA that you didn't download those million tracks illegally.

x2 on the thread revival kudos. I'm off to listen to some intelligent random mix- which may include some Intelligent Dance Music (that I've likely been meaning to delete).

Dean100
2009-07-02, 12:52

Oops, meant rip, rip, rip....