PDA

View Full Version : "Problem: Can't open file for:"

slayaz
2006-03-19, 12:01
I have added some new music to iTunes which slimserver sees no problem, but when I try and play th enew music i get an error saying "Problem: Can't open file for:"

I am running 6.2.2 on Mac OSX 10.4.5 with a SB2

I had this problem last weekend and over the course of the week it fixed itself, but i don't know how or why or what causes it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

ceejay
2006-03-19, 12:06
Is this music DRM'ed by any chance (downloaded?) - if so it won't work. If not, what file type is it?

Ceejay

slayaz
2006-03-19, 16:09
Is this music DRM'ed by any chance (downloaded?) - if so it won't work. If not, what file type is it?

Ceejay

Thanks for the reply.

The music is downloaded, but not from a site which uses any kind of DRM. (allofmp3.com)

This seems to be an issue since installing 6.2.2.

As i said earlier, I had album which I added to itunes last weekend, which wouldn't play and gave me the same error. I tried that again yesterday expecting it not to work, but it did.

Could it be a library re-scan issue?

The files are AAC 128bit. All my other music is fine it is just the most recently added stuff.

Thanks again

ceejay
2006-03-19, 16:27
Not sure if there are any clues in here for you, but someone else had exactly the same problem a while ago... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15732&highlight=allofmp3

Ceejay

slayaz
2006-03-20, 05:39
thanks for that link, it did shed some light.

It might a bug that has crept back into 6.2.2 as it was definitely OK in 6.2.1.

Maybe I'll downgrade......

Although didn't i need 6.2.2 for Pandora....

Oh well.

agapow
2006-03-26, 05:59
I've had exactly the same problem: AAC files from allofmp3.com not playing with the "cannot open file" message. However, this only happens with some albums from allofmp3 and on 6.2.1. So the mystery continues ...

Orb
2006-04-05, 07:13
This problem has started with my setup. I have 6.2.1, windows XP. My music is ripped from CD and some stuff keeps getting the 'problem can't open file for' message.

For example, last night I was trying to play disc 2 of a 3 disc album. I have each disc ripped into its own folder. S Box plays the first 2 tracks of the 2nd disc but not the remaining tracks.
It's MP3 256khz and worked fine before.
I've just tried it again today and the problem continues.

I've noticed problems across my music collection.
Any ideas?

By the way, how can you stop S Server opening up in a browser window. It's bloody annoying. I wouldn't mind if it opened up a new window but it hi-jacks your currently open window. Most rude.

agentsmith
2006-04-05, 23:22
This happens to me on two different cases:

1. One of the cases I could not isolate the types of files that got that error. But somehow, the solution was to run Slim.exe from a DOS command line, as opposed to start from the Windows Start Menu.

2. More recently I had problems with Tags with accented characters (e.g. German characters). I replaced the accented character and it worlked.

Note that I am running MusicMagic Mixer on the PC side.

oscuridad
2006-04-11, 08:30
Hello:

I am having this same problem, but, with normal ripped from CD mp3.

I dont get it, everyother player on my machine plays the files but slimserver hangs on them.

For example, I recently purchased the new Flaming Lips album, I ripped it using constan bit rate @ 320.
I then transfered it to my desktop via the home network.
I rescanned the library.
Then I browsed my Music Folder, looked for my The Flaming Lips Folder, looked there inside for the new album.
I pushed play on the remote...and after three songs boom, it started repeatin, asi if in the folder there where only three songs.
All the songs were ripped the same,but when i chosse any song that is not the first three i get the error message, cant open file for:

I am using
SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Siduhe
2006-04-11, 08:55
I rescanned the library.
Then I browsed my Music Folder, looked for my The Flaming Lips Folder, looked there inside for the new album.

Did you go to "Browse Music Folder" and start trying to play the album before Slimserver had finished scanning your Music Library ? I seem to recall some people have reported problems trying to play a newly ripped album before Slimserver finishes the scan of the database. Best to wait until the scan has finished before trying to play.

If that's not what you did, perhaps try a full "clear everything and rescan" rather than a "find new or changed music" scan.

oscuridad
2006-04-11, 09:20
Siduhe:

I waited for the slimserver to rescan.
I am going to follow your advice and clear everything and rescan it.

I will let you know what goes on!

oscuridad
2006-04-11, 10:54
the complete rescan worked marvels...

Everything is now playing according!!

Siduhe
2006-04-11, 12:14
*beams*

Glad to hear it.

drhanso
2006-04-11, 13:27
I have added some new music to iTunes which slimserver sees no problem, but when I try and play th enew music i get an error saying "Problem: Can't open file for:"

I am running 6.2.2 on Mac OSX 10.4.5 with a SB2

I had this problem last weekend and over the course of the week it fixed itself, but i don't know how or why or what causes it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

were those files in AAC or MP3?
There are some AAC aka MP4 aka M4A files that won't play with Slimserver. I had to recode them with iTunes (in the same format like from 192kb mp4 to 192kb mp4) and then they were playing fine. As I only ran across this with a few files from allofmp3.com they occasionally seem to encode some bytes which Slimserver doesn't like.

-Hans

nlewis
2006-04-11, 14:04
>> I have added some new music to iTunes which slimserver sees no problem,
>> but when I try and play th enew music i get an error saying "Problem:
>> Can't open file for:"
>>
>> I am running 6.2.2 on Mac OSX 10.4.5 with a SB2
>>
>> I had this problem last weekend and over the course of the week it
>> fixed itself, but i don't know how or why or what causes it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Not a solution, but I can also confirm I have experienced the same
problem. When adding new music, generally, the first two tracks on an
album will play fine and all the others will report 'Can't open file
for:'. Occassionally the file will fail part way through playing at a
specific time, everytime.

The only solution I have found is to copy the files, MP3 for me, to a new
directory and rescan. I then need to delete the old directory, rescan,
rename the new directory and rescan again. The music is then accessible as
it should be. Without the middle delete and rescan the files remain
unplayable.

I was experiencing this on 6.2.1 on Linux so upgraded to the nightly on
2006_03_15 - no better.

Hopefully someone can advise if this is a known bug or not.

Nick

patrickregan
2006-04-30, 17:24
I just discovered this same issue on my squeezbox3. I did the clear & rescan and that didn't fix it. Does anyone have an update on this problem since the last post? I really don't want to go through my library and start moving files around and rescan 3 times.

-Patrick

patrickregan
2006-04-30, 19:30
thanks for that link, it did shed some light.

It might a bug that has crept back into 6.2.2 as it was definitely OK in 6.2.1.

Maybe I'll downgrade......

Although didn't i need 6.2.2 for Pandora....

Oh well.

Where can I download version 6.2.1? I'd give up Pandora to be able to play these .m4p files from allofmp3.com.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-30, 20:19
Where can I download version 6.2.1? I'd give up Pandora to be able to play these .m4p files from allofmp3.com.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.2.1/

davidcotton
2006-05-01, 01:08
FWIW I am having this problem with the qnap and sb3 combo. I think in my case I didn't leave the scan long enough. Some directorys are fine, whilst others have a couple of tracks in at best that play, despite the album being listed there. Its no biggy for me as I still have several (hah!)cds to rip and transfer across, so will do a full rescan and leave it on when I'm at work.

What would be nice (don't know if its possible)is for slim to include a progress bar to let you know when the scan is complete.

patrickregan
2006-05-01, 05:17
Yeah, I definitely waited for the scan to complete before trying to play the music. That's not the cause of this for me. I think I'll try the downgrade.

slayaz
2006-05-01, 10:33
I haven't had the problem again, and it seemed to be an issue with the file encoding.

Allofmp3 were upgrading their site at that point so may have been that, but I have had no problems since.

I know use 6.2.2 with no issues, and it definitely re-scans much quicker.

patrickregan
2006-05-02, 20:00
The issue is now fixed for me. I thought I had the latest version, but I had 6.2.1. I upgraded to 6.2.2. and the issue went away. Cool.