PDA

View Full Version : Is there a right and wrong Linkstation for AlienBBC?

Seineseeker
2006-03-19, 11:54
Before I shell out on a linkstation as my music server, I've been reading through the threads about MIPS and PPC versions. That AlienBBC will only work with PPC versions. Which linkstation are the PPC versions?

bpa
2006-03-19, 12:07
The situation regarding PPC and linkstation should have changed with the recent versions of mplayer. Since about mid-Jan 06, mplayer has a native RealAudio codec builtin which works for the BBC which means if you build a version of mplayer on a MIPS linkstation it should work.

However nobody has reported trying AlienBBC/mplayer on a MIPS so it can't be guaranteed. I am not sure the processing power of the MIPS linkstation compared to PPC and it may be an issue.

Look up the linkstation wiki for info on versions
http://linkstationwiki.org/Main/FAQ

Edit:
There are a few station (e.g. NPR News, RTE) which use older RealAudio codec such as SIPR - these still need the RealAudio codecs.

Seineseeker
2006-03-20, 07:04
Thanks, but I am none the wiser to which Linkstation is PPC and which is MIPS, and what processor each has. I was looking at the HD-H250LAN, but I cant seem to find any info that tells me. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

bpa
2006-03-20, 07:55
AFAIK originally Linkstation were all PPC both the HD and HG models. The HG have a Gigabit ethernet interface.

The HD models were updated (Linkstation II) and now use the MIPS processor.

So if the HD model is brand new it is likely to be MIPS.

You should look at the following site abotu the steps to take:
http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

Note the following which will apply to a new HD model.

LinkStation II owners: In order to gain root access, which is required for the installation process (see the next page for more information), you will need to update your product with firmware created by members of the LinkStation/TerraStation user communities. You should be aware that although many people have used these "unofficial" firmware revisions successfully, you may still have problems with them, and it is unlikely that Buffalo will provide support for them.

Seineseeker
2006-03-20, 07:57
Thanks very much BPA.

aubuti
2006-03-22, 04:11
Thanks, but I am none the wiser to which Linkstation is PPC and which is MIPS, and what processor each has. I was looking at the HD-H250LAN, but I cant seem to find any info that tells me. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

The HD-H series have MIPS processors, but the HD-HG (aka 'Gigabit' because they have 10/100/1000 Mbps NICs) are PPC. The HD-HG also has 128MB RAM, versus only 64MB in the HD-H models. There's a hardware comparison at http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/Information

I don't run AlienBBC, but I've been really happy with my HD-HG250, which is also a "new" model as far as I know.

bpa
2006-05-01, 05:25
The pre7 version of mplayer does not have a built in RealAudio codec and there is no external MIPSEL codec for RealAudio.

Normally I would advise to get the most recent CVS tarball snapshot and compile it instead but the snaphsot is broken. So use CVS to get your own snapshot and then compile it.