PDA

View Full Version : Why would an average signal strength of 50+% be considered "bad"?

Jon
2006-03-18, 19:33
I've been using SlimServer's "Server & Network Health" utility to monitor one of my Squeezeboxes that is located a bit from my router. The wireles signal strength averages at just over 50%, with a minimum of around 30% and maximum or around 70%. "Server & Network Health" reports this player's signal strength as "Bad" or "Poor". Why would an average of just over 50% be considered bad? Also, what is the difference between "Bad" and "Poor" (I've seen both reported)?

Finally, I notice that sometimes the "Control Connection" field goes from "OK" to "Fail", then eventually back to "OK"; similarly, "Streaming Connection" will ocasionally go from "OK" to "Inactive" even though music from my hard disk is streaming to it and playing fine. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

Kyle
2006-03-18, 20:43
I've run with no problems anywhere from 40% to 60% and occasionally lower. It might depend on outside inteference factors which could cause problems even at 50% or more. Evidently, I don't have anything else causing inteference.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-18, 21:24
"Streaming Connection" will ocasionally go from "OK" to "Inactive" even though music from my hard disk is streaming to it and playing fine. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

This is normal. With a small MP3, the server will only stream for a short while. Once the buffer has the whole song, the streaming will stop and it will read "Inactive".

Even with FLAC or WAV, there comes a point near the end of the song where nothing needs to be streamed anymore.

Triode
2006-03-19, 05:57
The current logic in the health plugin is as follows:

OK: <1 % of samples below 50% signal strength
Intermit: <5 % of samples below 50% signal strength
Poor: <20% of samples below 50% signal strength
Bad: >20% of samples below 50%

I'm very willing to take input on this - I did put out a call for feedback when these numbers were orginally set which got to where we are now. But actually got minimal feedback.