PDA

View Full Version : Powered speakers for clean (wife-friendly) setup

rpalarea
2006-03-17, 23:14
I love my SB3. But I need to find a way to migrate it out of my office (where anything goes) and into the house (where electronics lead a frightened and scarce life).

Both my wife and I would like to bring our music library into other parts of the house, but don't have tons of space for a receiver (I have a nice, older NAD that I could use...).

Does anyone have any success with powered speakers? I was looking at the Bose Companion 3 on eBay. Looks like you could use the heaphones out jack from the SB to the control pod mini jack input. Cheesy...wonder how much quality it will loose with mini jack connections. Have no idea how the speakers/sub sound.

Open to suggestions. It would need to live on a shallow shelf.

Thanks!

stinkingpig
2006-03-17, 23:54
rpalarea wrote:
> I love my SB3. But I need to find a way to migrate it out of my office
> (where anything goes) and into the house (where electronics lead a
> frightened and scarce life).
>
> Both my wife and I would like to bring our music library into other
> parts of the house, but don't have tons of space for a receiver (I have
> a nice, older NAD that I could use...).
>
> Does anyone have any success with powered speakers? I was looking at
> the Bose Companion 3 on eBay. Looks like you could use the heaphones
> out jack from the SB to the control pod mini jack input.
> Cheesy...wonder how much quality it will loose with mini jack
> connections. Have no idea how the speakers/sub sound.
>
> Open to suggestions. It would need to live on a shallow shelf.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
I have a pair of Edirol MA-20Ds in the living room, which sound very
good. However, WAF was reduced by the fact that they have no radio. I
just ordered the Tivoli Henry Kloss Model Two for the office, it's
gotten good reviews.

I also have an older Altec Lansing set of computer speakers, probably
$50 or so the last time I built a desktop? There's a first gen
Squeezebox powering those in the kids room with an RCA y-adapter, end
result is fine for audiobooks and a bit of classical (all the audiophile
classisicts in the forum just shivered in disgust).

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996

stevieweevie
2006-03-18, 01:24
I have a set of Creative Gigaworks T20's (http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=28&product=14299) in the kitchen.

Sound is quite loud, plenty of bass from a speaker set without a sub, quality is pretty good. I would buy again.

WAF is at 100%.

Around 80.

ceejay
2006-03-18, 02:44
Does anyone have any success with powered speakers? I was looking at the Bose Companion 3 on eBay. Looks like you could use the heaphones out jack from the SB to the control pod mini jack input. Cheesy...wonder how much quality it will loose with mini jack connections. Have no idea how the speakers/sub sound.

If the powered speakers you end up with do have a mini jack input, get yourself a converter cable to go from the RCA outs on the SB rather than using the headphone output.

Readily available on the high street or online.

Ceejay

rpalarea
2006-03-18, 06:16
Good info - now that I took a bit more time to search the forums, I found this to be an oft covered topic. Sorry for any redundant posts.

I really am looking for specific feedback about the Bose unit, however. If anyone has any experience with it, I'm interested in hearing from you.

Otherwise, I have an "industry" friend who can get me a pair of Roland Edirols. Based on some further reading that I've done here, sounds like they are popular and a good fit.

tom permutt
2006-03-18, 06:37
Powered speakers would work, or an "executive" (=ostensibly high-WAF) shelf system with Aux input like Philips, which gets you radio and CD player if you want those. Personally, I like passive speakers and a Sonic Impact T-Amp, which is too small to annoy anyone. If you were thinking of spending X on powered speakers, look at ordinary speakers for X - $50, which is the price of T-Amp + power supply. (It runs on batteries by default.) You may be pleasantly surprised by the sound, and many speaker enclosures are built for the living room rather than the computer den.

If you want to be really subtle you could buy the Sonic SoundPads for $20 and stick them to some "art" (a Picasso or a Garfunkel).

rpalarea
2006-03-18, 07:01
Tom - ok...I saw those little speakers that stick on surfaces. What the heck? Have you heard how they sound? Of course, they won't sound like an enclosed speaker, but I wonder if they sound ok for a low-mid end residential application like music in a small library/den sized room. Very interesting...would love to try before I buy, but at that price you can't lose.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-18, 07:07
stick them to some "art" (a Picasso or a Garfunkel).
A bare naked ladies fan! And you thought no one would notice :-)

tom permutt
2006-03-18, 08:49
Tom - ok...I saw those little speakers that stick on surfaces. What the heck? Have you heard how they sound? Of course, they won't sound like an enclosed speaker, but I wonder if they sound ok for a low-mid end residential application like music in a small library/den sized room. Very interesting...would love to try before I buy, but at that price you can't lose.I have a pair in my office (in Silver Spring, by the way: we're neighbors). They make decent near-field monitors (i.e., computer speakers) when used with shoeboxes as, er, waveguides. But, no, I wouldn't recommend them as "low-mid end." There, I think you'd be better off with some proper bookshelf speakers.

The amp is fine, though, really. Buy one online from target or thinkgeek (support local business!) for $30, hook it up to your regular stereo speakers to test it.

Linzer
2006-03-18, 09:10
Search the forums (or use Google to assist) as this topic has been discussed in the past.

I ended up going with a pair of Swan M200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102 but if I could do it again, I'd look for some NHT powered monitors http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/nht.htm. Lower WAF but higher quality sound.

HTH

Rob A.
2006-03-18, 09:12
I have a pair in my office (in Silver Spring, by the way: we're neighbors). They make decent near-field monitors (i.e., computer speakers) when used with shoeboxes as, er, waveguides. But, no, I wouldn't recommend them as "low-mid end." There, I think you'd be better off with some proper bookshelf speakers.

The amp is fine, though, really. Buy one online from target or thinkgeek (support local business!) for $30, hook it up to your regular stereo speakers to test it.

I like the Harmon Kardon soundsticks. They only use the headphone out, but they have a powered sub and sound great from across the room.
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=MME&prod=SOUNDSTICKSII&sType=C

We're neighbors too, Tom. I live in Bethesda.

- Rob

rpalarea
2006-03-18, 09:42
Wow - the NHTs look pretty sweet.

donkin
2006-03-18, 23:57
I was thinking of using an SB3 with the new Apple Hifi speaker system either through the digital or analog inputs.

Thoughts?

Simon Still
2006-03-19, 01:59
On 3/18/06, rpalarea <rpalarea.24uqf01142662503 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any success with powered speakers? I was looking at
> the Bose Companion 3 on eBay. Looks like you could use the heaphones
> out jack from the SB to the control pod mini jack input.
> Cheesy...wonder how much quality it will loose with mini jack
> connections. Have no idea how the speakers/sub sound.

I:ve a set of Acoustic Energy Aego sub-sats which are pretty impressive
though a 'proper ' set of speakers will always give better imaging. Very
discreet though and a world away from most sub-sat systesms.

In the bedroom i've just got a Tivoli Model 2. i've put an mp3 player
through the aux in and it works well - Ok for a small room but it's not
going run a party.

Simon Still
2006-03-19, 03:40
On 3/19/06, donkin <donkin.24wn601142751602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I was thinking of using an SB3 with the new Apple Hifi speaker system
> either through the digital or analog inputs.
>
>