PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server / MySQL / WinXP Issues



aaggarwal01
2006-03-17, 22:19
I made the attempt to migrate to using the MYSQL database since I was having a number of strange errors with the latest 6.5b1 nightly - they were recognizing some of my albums, and ocassionally all the songs in an album would show up twice, etc....also performance was terrible since I have about 15,000 songs, 1000 albums of dilligently ripped FLAC files.

I have installed MYSQL 5.0, the Perl pieces, and made the requisite updates per the wiki, and all posts that I could find. Unfortunately slimserver is not starting up. Running it from the command line gives me the following error statements:

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>slim
File 'C:\mysql\\share\charsets\?.conf' not found (Errcode: 2)
Character set '#33' is not a compiled character set and is not specified in the
'C:\mysql\\share\charsets\Index' file
2006-03-17 23:03:35.7976 DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Field 'contributor' does
n't have a default value at /PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DataModel.pm line 935.
2006-03-17 23:03:35.7988 Can't insert new Slim::DataStores::DBI::Album: DBD::mys
ql::st execute failed: Field 'contributor' doesn't have a default value at /Perl
App/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DataModel.pm line 935.
at /PerlApp/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 1879

any ideas on what to do next? Given my limited capabilities, I am getting a bit frustrated and am pleading for any help I can get.

AA

gharris999
2006-03-18, 08:33
I don't think Slimserver 6.5 is MySQL 5 ready yet, and I believe that there are outstanding bugs filed on this. If I remember correctly, there is a problem with one of the data definitions that Slimserver uses. Try installing MySQL 4.1 and using that version. It works just fine for me.

aaggarwal01
2006-03-18, 10:55
thanks - switching to MYSQL 4.1 fixed the issue. The other problem that I have been having that for the last few days the builds that I have downloaded, keep crashing, part way through the scan (6.5b1), - this always occurs around 350-400 albums - any ideas - should I revert back to 6.2...

gharris999
2006-03-18, 14:19
I've certainly had that happen before. And it nearly aways comes down to bad metatags in my audio files. You might try using some of the debug flags (e.g. --d_scan) and see if you can spot an offending file. Then try removing that file from your library and scanning again.

aaggarwal01
2006-03-18, 17:10
Well, I went the easy way out - uninstall everything and reinstall everything and then run the system - worked this time and picked up most of the tracks and also it seems that It is no longer just shutting down in the middle of playing.

Interestingly, it will now only play music if started in command line mode. Double-clicking on slimserver starts the application and the item in the tray, and will be picked up by the browser, however when I select something to play, all I get is deafening silence. The SP3 says file not found....but if I shut slimserver down and restart slim from the command line, I can log in from the browser and everything works...strange....