PDA

View Full Version : How long to index? Is it working at all?

yizzung
2006-03-17, 22:11
Just installed on Windows XP, it's "still scanning" my iTunes directory, telling me to please wait... I've had that same message now for about two hours. Should any songs show up during the initial scan? I don't know if it's working or if I need to try something else. Is there any way I can tell if anything is actually happening? I'd love to trust that it's just going to magically "ding" when it's done but I sure would like to see some kind of progress indicator, like a file count or something...

I have about 20G of music and a Dell PC that's probably 3-4 years old, so it's not the fastest thing in the world. But that doesn't excuse the software for not telling me if it's making progress.

thanks.

ceejay
2006-03-18, 02:16
This is something that a lot of people have found, for no reason that we've seen yet. If its still going, just stop slimserver, reinstall it and start again. You should find that the scanning will complete at this second attempt. It might still take an hour or so though.

Ceejay

radish
2006-03-18, 09:48
Also, if you click some of the Browse Music links you should see stuff appearing as it's scanned, along with the message at the top saying it's working.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-18, 21:19
20G on a computer that's several years old should take like 15 minutes or so. If it's longer, something could be wrong.

There are some tricky things about iTunes configuration, which if you get them wrong, can really increase scanning time, but I don't run iTunes so I don't have that info at my fingertips.

Try searching the forum for iTunes.