PDA

View Full Version : itunes alternatives

Larry
2006-03-17, 11:19
I'm dual ripping my music collection (flac and lame), and plan on using the mp3 files on a ipod nano. I don't plan on buying music from the itunes store, so compatibility with their store isn't a concern.

From past exeriences I'm no big fan of itunes.

What are the good alternatives out there which work on XP?

I'm aware of anapod explorer and it seems like media monkey has some ipod management capabilities.

Are there others?

Which ones do you like?

radish
2006-03-17, 11:38
FOr general music management the obvious candidates are Winamp, Foobar2000 and J River Media Center. I'm not sure which of those will work with an iPod.

fuzzyT
2006-03-17, 12:35
radish wrote:
> FOr general music management the obvious candidates are Winamp,
> Foobar2000 and J River Media Center. I'm not sure which of those will
> work with an iPod.

Foobar has iPod plugins.

Or you may choose to pick what you will for library management,
playback, etc. and something else entirely for iPod loading.

I've used EphPod since before the iPod was supported on Windows. It's
not so slapping great, but it works.

Does Songbird do iPod loading?

--rt

govardha
2006-03-17, 13:26
I used to use J.River Media Center and have found it pretty usable. It does support iPod and all the music formats you were asking about. It is pretty fast and the ability to customize the front end and song management is amazing. I do use iTunes as I use a Mac now, although it is a decent product, at times it can be slow as hell.

Unfortunately the product tends to be on the expensive side, I think they include a 30 day trial, give it a whirl.

Gov

m1abrams
2006-03-17, 13:40
I use jriver Media Center. They have a 30day trial and the cost of the product is $40.

Pretty nice product I tested it against Media Monkey and Foobar2000.

Foobar2000 is a great product I love the amount you can customise it, however you really have to spend a great deal of time with foobar2000 to make it sing like you want. Also the foo_pod plugin for it that makes it work with the ipod lacks some features that I would want (maybe the author will add them soon). It lacks albumart, rating and playcount sync. The last two being the biggest for me.

Media Monkey I did like a good bit and was cheaper than jriver, however jriver appeared to be a more polished product and jriver allows for more customization. Jrivers smartlists is just so much better than any of the competition.

Now a note, jriver and media monkey do not support smartplaylists ON the ipod like iTunes does. This means that if you create a smartlist in jriver it will SYNC the contents of the list but the list will NOT be dynmanic on the iPod. The best example is a playlist of UNHEARD Podcasts. When I sync this list I have 4 unheard podcasts when I listen to the 1 of the podcasts on my iPod the list does not update with that removed. The only 3rd party app I could find that does support smartplaylists is foo_pod, however since it does not support ratings and placount syncing it almosts seems pointless to me.