PDA

View Full Version : After many months of smooth performance, slimserver won't boot

trebejo
2006-03-17, 08:15
I've been having one of those "inexplicable" problems and when I came by here I noticed that there's a bit of this going around. I'm starting to wonder if the latest Apple Tiger upgrade didn't break something (which is what happened to rsync a couple of weeks ago).

Basically, I've been using slimserver on a mac since last June, and yesterday I could not boot slimserver. I tried to find some networking problem, but no dice.

I tried reinstalling but that doesn't help either. I can't even build the directory ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer (or was it Slimdevices? I can't remember but it's the one that contains the database). The usual perl command never shows up on ps.

To debug the network, I first established a connection to slimnetworks, and got some bubbles and river sounds through. So the box is not totally fried.

The network is a mini with ethernet at 192.168.0.101, airport at 192.168.0.100, di-524 router at 192.168.0.1, and SB2 at 192.168.0.102 all courtesy of dhcp. The firewall is set up as it always was with tcp and udp clear on 3483 and 9000. You know, the usual working rig.

I tried quirky stuff like rebooting, unplugging router and squeezebox, holding down the "Add" button, etc. I even turned off the firewall but didn't get a reaction that way either.

I can ping and traceroute to the squeezebox without a problem. I just can't get the bloody perl line started, or if I can, it dies awfully quick.

Lest we suspect the perl command itself too quickly, its creation date is August 2005. It's been around.

Oh before I forget, the rest of the network seems to be going as before. I can do iTunes, downloads, mail, web, etc. It's just the squeezebox that has gone partially bonkers; but its ability to get to Squeezenetworks tells me that the router/cable modem series is functional enough.

I didn't drop a beer on the squeezebox, either. It's just been sitting in its usual well-ventilated spot, gathering a little dust but otherwise pampered.

For starters, I'd appreciate being told if I am missing anything from a standard slimserver 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 install. All I can find right now after my latest attempt to install 6.2.2 are

~/Library/Preferences/com.slimdevices.slim.plist

which is a 4 kb file of the plist kind and

~/Library/PerferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane

which is a directory with these stats:

$ ls -lR ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/ | wc
3334 21644 181974
$ du -sh ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/
27M

In other words, around 3300 files with a total size of about 27 mb.

Cheers,

Ariel

danco
2006-03-17, 11:54
Just to double-check, what do you mean by "the latest Tiger upgrade"? My machine works fine on 10.4.5 and I think that is working after the Security Update 2006-001. I have tried 2006-002 yet.

trebejo
2006-03-17, 19:07
Just to double-check, what do you mean by "the latest Tiger upgrade"? My machine works fine on 10.4.5 and I think that is working after the Security Update 2006-001. I have tried 2006-002 yet.

I mean to-the-day; that includes 2006-002, which was installed on the 14th. I actually don't know whether I tried to start up the slimserver since that install, but in particular I don't remember trying to do so.

The 2006-002 update was primarily needed by me to fix rsync, which is how I back up my hard drives. However, there is a work-around, which is to install the darwinport of rsync and use it instead. That's what I'd done.

I'd be all kinds of surprised if the slimserver-os x connection was so tenuous, and none of them good.

The diagnostics are non-existent, too--there is no obvious place to find a record of what is going wrong. The install says that it succeeded, then I click on the start-up button, and nothing happens.

Cheers,

Ariel

trebejo
2006-03-17, 20:42
At the moment, I am able to boot by command-line.

This is, like, SOOOOOOO undocumented. I had to dig around

~/Library/PreferencePanes/

then down to

~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server

and then run

$ ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl --daemon

(that's all on one line in case the forum editor turns it into two).

Sooo undocumented.

So now the server runs. The preference pane that you normally use to start slimserver (you know, the icon in System Preferences) shows the server as running and gives me the option to stop it.

I still don't know what is broken, but it's as simple as "clicking on this button does not produce the desired activation".

Just for a lark, I clicked on "Stop Server" and sure enough, it stopped it. Then I clicked on "Start Server" again (hoping it'd been a bootstrap hiccup) but no, it still doesn't work.

I don't know if booting up this way neglects some other startup script that should be running.

These are the things that keep me from giving a squeezebox to my friends and relatives. My father would disinherit me if I told him to play his music by just opening up the terminal and typing

$ ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl --daemon

Cheers,

Ariel

dean
2006-03-17, 23:23
Sorry that it's not working for you, and thanks for taking the time
to debug this.

On Mar 17, 2006, at 7:42 PM, trebejo wrote:
> Sooo undocumented.
Well, it's in the normal place for Preference Panes on OSX. Regular
folks shouldn't have to dig down here, so there was no reason to
document the file layout for accessing it via Terminal.

> So now the server runs. The preference pane that you normally use to
> start slimserver (you know, the icon in System Preferences) shows the
> server as running and gives me the option to stop it.
>
> I still don't know what is broken, but it's as simple as "clicking on
> this button does not produce the desired activation".
>
> Just for a lark, I clicked on "Stop Server" and sure enough, it
> stopped
> it. Then I clicked on "Start Server" again (hoping it'd been a
> bootstrap
> hiccup) but no, it still doesn't work.
Please try downloading and reinstalling SlimServer from the Slim
Devices website. It's possible there's some kind of corruption in
the original install. Also, try setting it to not start up
automatically, then set it again to do so.

trebejo
2006-03-18, 05:22
Sorry that it's not working for you, and thanks for taking the time
to debug this.

Oh, you know, we love our squeezebox and the people that bring it to us. *hug*

On Mar 17, 2006, at 7:42 PM, trebejo wrote:
> Sooo undocumented.
Well, it's in the normal place for Preference Panes on OSX. Regular
folks shouldn't have to dig down here, so there was no reason to
document the file layout for accessing it via Terminal.

I think the very events that I'm describing justify documenting alternative boot schemes somewhere, so that people don't waste their time hunting down phantoms (like I did with my poor network).

For example, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if your squeezebox is showing up with an IP address that begins with "169", then you've got a network problem. That's good to know.

Also, consider this: at the moment, I don't mind one bit using the terminal to boot slimserver; in fact, I think it may well become the way I do things from now on. However, I would LOVE to get a refund on the hour(s) I spent wondering what I needed to do to fix it, but mere humans don't have access to the rewind hands on the big clock so that's that.

Open source empowers you to tell the enduser as much as he is able to handle. I suppose that by leaving /longpathname/Installation.txt in the distro, you did just that for a guy like me, I suppose, but even a guy like me could use a "Here is how everything works" paragraph in an obvious place.

Please try downloading and reinstalling SlimServer from the Slim
Devices website. It's possible there's some kind of corruption in
the original install. Also, try setting it to not start up
automatically, then set it again to do so.

Well, that's what I already did. Tried 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 (the nightly). Same symptom on both.

The install *seems* to be ok. When booted from the command line, it works fine. I can see all my albums and do all my usual stuff. I just can't start by clicking on "start server" in the preference pane, or by setting that to boot automatically at boot time.

The only change that has taken place that I can think of has been that wednesday-night Tiger update. I am borderline certain that something got broken there, probably by Cupertino.

Nonetheless, there is a robustness issue here. Everything is ready to go--network, squeezebox, slimserver--and it all comes to a halt because the "start" button is temporarily fritzed out (just to make it that much easier to question my sanity, the other preference pane buttons that I clicked on worked as they should).

It's like cancelling a moon launch because the taxi driver taking the astronaut to the space center gets a flat tire... this merits a separate thread, I'm sure, but when the box stopped working I realized that its dependence on "virtual" factors in comparison with a braindead CD player is still a cause for concern; by putting in little debugging steps, you can make the experience a lot saner for the end user.

Anyway, I *am* running all that I need to run when I run /longpathname/slimserver.pl, right?

Cheers,

Ariel

danco
2006-03-18, 08:43
Well, as a bit of extra data, I have just upgraded Mac OS 10.4.5 to the latest (version 1.1 of update 2006-002) and am using SlimServer 6.2.1.

Absolutely NO problems. It started at login, and I have been able to listen, to stop and restart the preference pane and so on. So it looks as if it must be a Tiger issue or some corruption that is causing Trebejo's problems.

This is all after one restart required by the upgrade. I haven't tried another restart or a shutdown.

Trebejo, have you tried standard Mac problem-solving. Repairing permissions, deleteingh preferences, etc.

Yes, the 169 issue has come up in the forums several times. It is now in the wiki on Network Problems.

trebejo
2006-03-18, 09:22
Well, as a bit of extra data, I have just upgraded Mac OS 10.4.5 to the latest (version 1.1 of update 2006-002) and am using SlimServer 6.2.1.

Absolutely NO problems. It started at login, and I have been able to listen, to stop and restart the preference pane and so on. So it looks as if it must be a Tiger issue or some corruption that is causing Trebejo's problems.

Thanks for letting me know. It's a bit of a relief to know that there isn't some generalized problem out there.

Trebejo, have you tried standard Mac problem-solving. Repairing permissions, deleteingh preferences, etc.

Yes, thanks, I tried the permissions before anything else. Deleting preferences... I take it you mean deleting any files that I could think of that are connected to slimserver? In my case that meant the .plist file, the PreferencePane app, and the ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer directory--they all got wiped.

I ran ls -al in my home directory and found nothing. It's too bad that Apple didn't emphasize the .*rc approach to app configuration, but I guess that wasn't gooey enough for them.

Cheers,

trebejo

trebejo
2006-04-01, 16:47
Take a look at

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22208

to see how this problem gets fixed.

btw the fix doesn't take long at all--I just had some health issues to deal with and I have literally not had my hands on the server for a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Ariel