PDA

View Full Version : mac mini & Squeezebox?

davidcotton
2006-03-16, 16:09
Had a quick look through the forums and used search but couldn't find an appropriate thread.

Curious about the possibility of using a mac mini as a server to play back through a wired squeezebox and wondered what I would need.

Basically I have about a hundred or so audio storys and about a hundred or so music cds that I would like to back up to harddrive and use squeezebox to play back so I can box the cds up and put them in a box in the loft out the way. I had been contemplating using a setup using a shuttle size case with a 300 gig hd and using squeezebox. Only problem with that scenario is the size and noise of the shuttle box, small though it is. This would be for a bedroom and so would have to be as quiet as possible. Also size of the mini mac would be an advantage as well.

Would 80 gig be enough for say 200 or so cds? How easy would it be to set it up? What I want is to have it as :-

Mac mini (plus usb hard drive if size isnt enough?)
connected to wired squeezebox 3, which in turn is plugged into an m-audio 2496 dac connected to a marantz 66 KI Signature amplifer and Mission 780 speakers. In a bedroom without any other pc present. I'd use the existing monitor and keyboard to set everything up, then move the mac/sb3 into another room and use it there.

Would this be doable and how much would I be looking at to set it up? Also using macs would I be limited to Itunes to manage cds or would there be other programs I could use (I know nothing about macs).

Cheers...

Philippe SCHMUCK
2006-03-17, 00:05
>
> Mac mini (plus usb hard drive if size isnt enough?)
> connected to wired squeezebox 3, which in turn is plugged into an
> m-audio 2496 dac connected to a marantz 66 KI Signature amplifer and
> Mission 780 speakers. In a bedroom without any other pc present. I'd
> use the existing monitor and keyboard to set everything up, then move
> the mac/sb3 into another room and use it there.
>
> Would this be doable and how much would I be looking at to set it up?
> Also using macs would I be limited to Itunes to manage cds or would
> there be other programs I could use (I know nothing about macs).
>

Great idea !
Using a Mac mini will be very easy to setup, especially if you use
iTunes to convert your CD and to organize your file and set the
Slimserver to use iTunes (mp3 is not the best format but it's easy to
use with the Slim) ; the complete setup after plugin your Mac the
first time would be around 30 mn, even with some necessary Apple
software update ; the ripping of your CD will take a lot more time
after !
I would add an external firewire disk with the same mini look to have
enough space for your future music.
I assume you have another computer networked with your Mac mini : you
can use VNC to access to your Mac so you don't need any monitor after
the first set up.

mikerob
2006-03-17, 06:35
Had a quick look through the forums and used search but couldn't find an appropriate thread.

Curious about the possibility of using a mac mini as a server to play back through a wired squeezebox and wondered what I would need.

Basically I have about a hundred or so audio storys and about a hundred or so music cds that I would like to back up to harddrive and use squeezebox to play back so I can box the cds up and put them in a box in the loft out the way. I had been contemplating using a setup using a shuttle size case with a 300 gig hd and using squeezebox. Only problem with that scenario is the size and noise of the shuttle box, small though it is. This would be for a bedroom and so would have to be as quiet as possible. Also size of the mini mac would be an advantage as well.

Would 80 gig be enough for say 200 or so cds? How easy would it be to set it up? What I want is to have it as :-

Mac mini (plus usb hard drive if size isnt enough?)
connected to wired squeezebox 3, which in turn is plugged into an m-audio 2496 dac connected to a marantz 66 KI Signature amplifer and Mission 780 speakers. In a bedroom without any other pc present. I'd use the existing monitor and keyboard to set everything up, then move the mac/sb3 into another room and use it there.

Would this be doable and how much would I be looking at to set it up? Also using macs would I be limited to Itunes to manage cds or would there be other programs I could use (I know nothing about macs).

Cheers...

I use a Mac Mini + external 320G LaCie drive for Slimserver and it works great - I have 3 SBs in other rooms with 2 connected wirelessly and 1 wired.

I used iTunes to rip my CDs to Apple Lossless.

I use a wireless router for connectivity between the Mac Mini and SBs and the router assigns IP addresses to each device using DHCP.

If you want to connect the SB directly to the Mac Mini, I think you will need to configure IP addresses manually - however it makes sense for the Mac to be connected to a router with internet connectivity as you will need this when ripping CDs - unless you want to type in all of the CD track information manually.

xio
2006-03-20, 05:59
I use a mac mini running headlessly and wired straight to the squeezebox. Have about 350 albums ripped at 320 mp3 (80%) and flac (20%). Takes about 45gb of the 80gb disc iirc, so depending on what format you use, it should be enough space, but you can always expand if you need to. I didn't rip on the mini so can't comment on that - I just copied everything on to it from my linux box at home. The mac issues the ip address to the squeezebox and I have no internet connection to it (it's in a holiday apartment). System is set to sleep so squeezebox wakes it up on demand - i.e. when there's actually somebody there! Didn't even need a crossover cable. Very simple and effective solution.

Patrick Dixon
2006-03-20, 11:46
FWIW, I work on 3CDs per GB for FLAC (Apple lossless should be about the same), so 80GB should hold about 240 CDs.

xio
2006-03-20, 12:52
also allow around 13-15gb for all the stuff that comes installed...