PDA

View Full Version : Observations, questions, interrogations...

doundounba
2006-03-15, 14:07
Hi all,

Been trying out 6.5b1 in an effort to evaluate if we want to get a couple of squeezeboxes for a new place we'll be moving into soon, and so far I'm quite impressed! Just got the latest AlienBBC running even! ;)

I do have a few questions and observations:

- Am I *supposed* to be able to move favorites up or down or delete them from the Web interface? The buttons are there, but it doesn't work for me.

- I do wish that the Slim Devices Picks would show up on the WebUI. I see a couple of Bugzilla entries on this (#2649, #2721). I'll be trying to figure out how to vote on bugzilla next.

- Why are the Favorites under Plugins on the device menus, but right at the top level on the WebUI? Is there a way to make Favorites available at the top level on device?

- I'm having problems with one particular stream that happens to be very important in trying to convince my SO that we need to upgrade the old SliMP3 and buy a couple of new Squeezeboxes... ;) When I try to get to it (Slim Devices Picks -> By Genre -> Public Radio Canada -> Montreal QC, Radio-Canada Premiere Chaine), the whole server hangs. The player states "Connecting to play: En direct", and then it just sits there. Can't connect to the Web interface either - have to restart the server or wait upwards of 5 minutes. What is the best way to debug what's going on here?

Original SliMP3, latest deb package running on Kubuntu 5.10 on an Athlon XP2200 with 1GB RAM.

Thanks much for any help/pointers.

kdf
2006-03-15, 14:18
Quoting doundounba <doundounba.24qbun1142457001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> - Am I *supposed* to be able to move favorites up or down or delete
> them from the Web interface?

Yes, you are. 6.5 is experimental, and much of the work in in regard
to the HTML. Something broke recently in handling those img links.

> - I do wish that the Slim Devices Picks would show up on the WebUI. I
> see a couple of Bugzilla entries on this (#2649, #2721). I'll be
> trying to figure out how to vote on bugzilla next.

>
> - Why are the Favorites under Plugins on the device menus, but right at
> the top level on the WebUI? Is there a way to make Favorites available
> at the top level on device?

player settings->menus

> What is the best way
> to debug what's going on here?

d_source, d_remotestream would be the best debug flags to start with.
then check the log as you try to connect ( I think it is
/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log for the deb package)

-kdf

kdf
2006-03-15, 14:28
Quoting kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>:

>> - Why are the Favorites under Plugins on the device menus, but right at
>> the top level on the WebUI? Is there a way to make Favorites available
>> at the top level on device?
>
> player settings->menus

oh, and the new remotes have a "favorites" button to get there directly.
-k

kdf
2006-03-16, 10:17
If you download the latest nightly of 6.5, the favourites linkes for moving and deleting should now work. Note: this was only broken in 6.5 builds, not 6.2.x

doundounba
2006-03-16, 20:29
Thanks for the info and help kdf! I voted on the bug and got the menus sorted out to my liking. Haven't changed nightlies yet to test out the WebUI for favorites...

I'd like to suggest that the nightlies should have some sort of build number or date in the version string (eg 6.5b1_20060314). Adept isn't picking up the slimserver package as "upgradable", and I think that's because both the version in the repository and my installed version have the same version label (6.5b1)...

BTW, all this has also prompted me to start digging through my CDs to find the ones I haven't ripped yet. Oh, and I really like RadioioAMBIENT. :)

snarlydwarf
2006-03-16, 20:43
BTW, all this has also prompted me to start digging through my CDs to find the ones I haven't ripped yet. Oh, and I really like RadioioAMBIENT. :)

Be careful: when you start running low on CDs, you'll find yourself buying more.

doundounba
2006-03-17, 06:04
Adept isn't picking up the slimserver package as "upgradable", (...)

Strike that - apologies. I was just too impatient. It showed as upgradable this morning, ugraded fine and the Favorites section of the WebUI now works as advertised. Trez Kool.

doundounba
2006-03-17, 12:31
Hi folks,

Am I supposed to be able to transcode from, say, Ogg, with a SliMP3? I do have AlienBBC working and when I use it I can see it invoke mplayer... I am trying to get to Montréal's Radio-Canada, which is the radio station that we listen to the most using the good-old-radio-that-I'd-like-to-replace. I have two URLs:

http://ms2.radio-canada.ca:80/PremiereChaine.ogg
http://radio-canada.ca/util/endirect/premiere.asx

I thought the Ogg would be more likely to work (and it plays fine from KDE's media player Kaffeine), but when I tried it on the slim, I got horrible witenoise and the following in the logs:

--------
Assuming raw pcm input file
/usr/bin/sox: Warning: hole in stream; probably harmless

/usr/bin/sox: Warning: hole in stream; probably harmless
--------

And when I try the second one the server freezes for a while, then eventually spits out a whole whack of repetitions of the following to the logs...

------------------
2006-03-17 19:16:15.3098 Null track request!
2006-03-17 19:16:15.3110 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::objectForUrl (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 72)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Playlist::song (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 1529)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Player::currentSongLines (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/ScreenSaver.pm line 188)
frame 3: Slim::Buttons::ScreenSaver::lines (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 613)
frame 4: Slim::Player::Player::update (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 1180)
frame 5: Slim::Buttons::Common::_periodicUpdate (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Timers.pm line 112)
frame 6: Slim::Utils::Timers::checkTimers (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 634)
frame 7: main::idle (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 577)
frame 8: main::main (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 1215)

2006-03-17 19:16:16.3105 Null track request!
2006-03-17 19:16:16.3110 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::objectForUrl (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 72)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Playlist::song (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 1529)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Player::currentSongLines (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/ScreenSaver.pm line 188)
frame 3: Slim::Buttons::ScreenSaver::lines (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 613)
frame 4: Slim::Player::Player::update (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Buttons/Common.pm line 1180)
frame 5: Slim::Buttons::Common::_periodicUpdate (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Timers.pm line 112)
frame 6: Slim::Utils::Timers::checkTimers (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 634)
frame 7: main::idle (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 577)
frame 8: main::main (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 1215)

-----------------

Any ideas?

doundounba
2006-03-19, 14:42
OK, I think I've diagnosed out the ogg issue. Nothing to do with the beta version - just the sox version on Ubuntu 5.10...

See here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17627

[EDIT:] Indeed. Upgraded sox and I can now play the ogg stream in the URL above. :)