PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody Coming to Squeezebox According to PC World

boerner
2006-03-15, 13:28
Don't know if this has been dicussed in the forums already, but I just saw this link to a PC World review of the Squeezebox3 (on Slimdevices on News Page):

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124580,pg,2,00.asp

Nothing that I didn't already know but there was a quote I found interesting:

"SlimServer can play pretty much every unprotected digital music format, including AAC, but not DRM-coded tracks. It can handle Live365, Radioio, and Shoutcast Internet radio streams, as well as MoodLogic mixing. The company says Rhapsody support is coming soon."

Anyone from Slimdevices care to comment? If this is true, it may be the magic bullet for my wife to give me permission to finally buy one.

aubuti
2006-03-15, 13:54
It could be true, but some of the info in that article looks a bit dated. For example, about Roku it says

"By the time you read this, Roku plans to ship an alarm clock version of the SoundBridge--the R1000--with 18 Internet radio presets, for an expected $399."

That product started shipping in November or December 2005. So I wonder if the claimed Rhapsody-Squeezebox connection is perhaps confusion between Rhapsody and Pandora, something that was discussed that is already dead in the water, or something that really is in SD's future.

Discuss. ;-)

dean
2006-03-15, 21:55
On Mar 15, 2006, at 12:54 PM, aubuti wrote:
> "By the time you read this, Roku plans to ship an alarm clock version
> of the SoundBridge--the R1000--with 18 Internet radio presets, for an
> expected $399."
>
> That product started shipping in November or December 2005.
As far as I know, that product still hasn't shipped.

aubuti
2006-03-16, 07:21
My mistake. I recall that they *announced* it would be shipping back in Nov/Dec. I was even mildly interested until I learned that it is only 802.11b and doesn't even have a wired NIC -- a real deal-breaker combination for me.

Anyway, I just scanned the Roku forums and found that Roku was accepting orders as far back as last October, and promising delivery in November. Oops! A lot of posters over there pretty PO'd about not only the delay, but also Roku being less than forthcoming about realistic shipping dates. Roku claims unforeseen manufacturing problems.

I still think the self-contained table unit is a promising concept, but it's hard to imagine the execution could be any worse than what Roku has done.

EDIT: Dean, I noticed you chose not to comment on the Rhapsody connection, nudge nudge.

scthom
2006-03-25, 17:04
For those who may be new, and for the completeness of the thread, there used to be a Rhapsody plugin. It worked with several of the version 5 SlimServers, but is not being maintained and no longer works with version 6.

It was one of the reasons I bought the Squeezebox to begin with, though the loss of Rhapsody is not sufficient for me to stop using it :-)

leinad
2006-04-05, 17:51
For those who may be new, and for the completeness of the thread, there used to be a Rhapsody plugin. It worked with several of the version 5 SlimServers, but is not being maintained and no longer works with version 6.

It was one of the reasons I bought the Squeezebox to begin with, though the loss of Rhapsody is not sufficient for me to stop using it :-)

I plan to purchase a music networking device and Rhapsody support will be the reason that I make a purchase. Even if that means a Roku over a Squeezebox. It would be great to hear that there is a compatible plugin available for SlimServer.