PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Dual-Core and SlimServer

ezkcdude
2006-03-14, 14:13
So, I have a P4 3.0 GHz which has hyperthreading and I'm running Windows XP Professional. It's a fast computer, but when SlimServer is scanning, it is just impossible to listen to the SqueezeBox. I guess the scanning is so cpu-intensive that it somehow bogs down the SlimServer-SqueezeBox connection. That said, I'm wondering if I had a dual-core cpu, whether it would make any difference. It would be nice to hear the experiences of anyone out there who has one of these dual-cores in their computer. Can you listen to the SB even while SlimServer is scanning your library? I'm curious to know. Thanks!

pfarrell
2006-03-14, 14:21
ezkcdude wrote:
> That said, I'm wondering if I had a dual-core cpu, whether
> it would make any difference. It would be nice to hear the experiences
> of anyone out there who has one of these dual-cores in their computer.

Last time I checked the source code, the production releases were single
threaded, so dual core, multi-processor, hyperthreading, etc. won't
be used effectively.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

radish
2006-03-14, 14:26
I would think it's much more likely to be your IO bogging down than CPU, but task manager will tell you for sure. Last time I checked I could play while scanning on my server and it's just a lowly Athlon.

ezkcdude
2006-03-14, 14:56
I would think it's much more likely to be your IO bogging down than CPU, but task manager will tell you for sure. Last time I checked I could play while scanning on my server and it's just a lowly Athlon.

That's interesting. If that is the case, what could be the problem? Or I should ask, if it's an IO problem, how would I go about fixing it?

MeSue
2006-03-14, 15:12
I went dual-core about 6 weeks ago. Before the change, my PC would really bog down whenever a SlimServer scan would kick in. Now I don't even notice a hit. Generally I don't play my Squeezebox while scanning but I just checked it out. There is some delay with the remote control, and text scrolling on the display, but there were no issues with the sound.

MrC
2006-03-14, 15:16
So, I have a P4 3.0 GHz which has hyperthreading and I'm running Windows XP Professional. It's a fast computer, but when SlimServer is scanning, it is just impossible to listen to the SqueezeBox. I guess the scanning is so cpu-intensive that it somehow bogs down the SlimServer-SqueezeBox connection. That said, I'm wondering if I had a dual-core cpu, whether it would make any difference. It would be nice to hear the experiences of anyone out there who has one of these dual-cores in their computer. Can you listen to the SB even while SlimServer is scanning your library? I'm curious to know. Thanks!

Your P4/3.0Ghz should have no trouble both scanning and streaming at the same time. If your windows filesystem is really fragmented, then this could cause such troubles (or if you had a really slow disk). As radish mentioned, this is most likely an I/O issue, not a CPU issue. A dual core system won't really fix this issue, all things being equal.

Check / resolve your disk fragmentation, and if necessary, do some disk benchmarks.

Ensure that you are not having network performance issues during your scanning, as well as all the usual suspects. If you have your disk controller and network controller on the same interrupt, this can case some performance troubles.

ezkcdude
2006-03-14, 15:35
Man, sounds like I need to hire my own IT person just to figure this out. I shall give it my best efforts, but it sounds like I need some knowledge that I do not currently have.

mherger
2006-03-14, 15:40
> Last time I checked the source code, the production releases were single
> threaded, so dual core, multi-processor, hyperthreading, etc. won't
> be used effectively.

You could use MySQL. With a little luck this would have slimserver run on
one of the cores while MySQL is working on the other one...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

pfarrell
2006-03-14, 15:45
Michael Herger wrote:
>> Last time I checked the source code, the production releases were single
>> threaded, so dual core, multi-processor, hyperthreading, etc. won't
>> be used effectively.
>
> You could use MySQL. With a little luck this would have slimserver run
> on one of the cores while MySQL is working on the other one...

True, but we really need the streaming engine on one core
and the HTML engine on the other. Then transcoding goes on
the third and scanning on the fourth.

We can laugh, but in a year, AMD and Intel will both be selling
quad and higher cores for consumers.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Robin Bowes
2006-03-14, 15:49
ezkcdude wrote:
> Man, sounds like I need to hire my own IT person just to figure this
> out. I shall give it my best efforts, but it sounds like I need some
> knowledge that I do not currently have.

I'm for hire. Reasonable rates too. :)

R.

radish
2006-03-14, 17:46
That's interesting. If that is the case, what could be the problem? Or I should ask, if it's an IO problem, how would I go about fixing it?

First of all confirm it. Start a scan (while NOT playing anything) and open task manager, switch to the processes tab. Look for the slim.exe process and check the CPU column, if it's staying at or around 100 for significant amounts of time then you may have a CPU issue. More likely, I think, it will be significantly lower, and that indicates something else is causing the problem - and it's probably disk access.

EnochLight
2006-03-14, 21:05
That said, I'm wondering if I had a dual-core cpu, whether it would make any difference.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (although I clocked it to a 4800+). I can do a rescan of my library - WHILE PLAYING MY SQUEEZEBOX - and playback is fine. And my computer responds fine. And I can check my mail or surf the web, etc - all while my library is scanning.

I 100% whole heartedly recommend *ONLY* going with dual-core processors. Apps might not be threaded, but multitasking is 2nd to none.