PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Cannot connect to to wireless network

ethereal_heart
2006-03-13, 14:10
Hi,
I got an sb3 today and for the past few hours have tried desperately to get it to connect to my wireless router. The router is a 3com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54g 3CRWE754G72A.

I have the router in 11g only mode with g-nitro disabled (that's the 'turbo' mode), the SSID is being broadcast, no encryption and the sb3 can't connect. AT ALL! :(

Signal strength fluctuates irritatingly between 81-82-91- and 0% in a predictable manner. It's mainly on the high numbers then dips to zilch for a second before going back up again.

Shall I send it back?

Wirrunna
2006-03-13, 18:10
Don't send it back until you have tried http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

Edit:
There is a reported bug with your router - http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2728

Michaelwagner
2006-03-13, 21:08
A number of wireless problems have been solved in firmware that is only available when you upgrade to the 6.2.2 "safe" beta (should that be called gamma?) test version of the code.

You might consider downloading 6.2.2 and see if that helps. It may or may not. The bug report mentioned above doesn't say if it was fixed in more recent firmware.

ethereal_heart
2006-03-14, 11:33
Just my luck.

Now I have to spend more money! Would a Safecom GWART2-54125 (or SWART2) work with the sb3?

Michaelwagner
2006-03-14, 12:06
Just my luck.

Now I have to spend more money! Would a Safecom GWART2-54125 (or SWART2) work with the sb3?
I'm sorry, I don't understand where you would need to spend more money. The 6.2.2 version of the server, as all versions are, is free.

ethereal_heart
2006-03-14, 12:17
I'm getting ahead of myself, assuming that the firmware won't make the slightest difference to my connection (the glass is half empty and all that). I'll give it a go though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Siduhe
2006-03-14, 13:42
Just my luck.

All current knowledge about combinations of routers / firmware and SB can be found here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus). Can't immediately see the Safecom one listed.

ethereal_heart
2006-03-18, 15:03
Upgraded the FW on the sb (v35) via ethernet, also got the latest FW for my Router (v1.31). Both are still refusing to talk. Weird, 'cos some guy just updated the bug report linked to earlier on and said that he's successfully networked with this router wirelessly. David Gammon, if you're reading this please give us a hand!

Another thing, can someone confirm if it's normal for the sb3 to report 0% signal strength every few seconds (the damn thing is sitting NEXT TO MY ROUTER!)? Have I got a duff one?

andrewjc
2006-03-18, 16:28
Don't give up I had a hard time getting my setup to work. I had to pitch ZoneAlarm, reinstall SlimServer, recheck my wireless settings and then it worked like a charm. My wireless strenght was on 60% and I have no problems at all.

Phil Leigh
2006-03-19, 02:33
Just helped a friend get online with his new SB3 this weekend. In case it helps, he was running XP SP1 - he was having all sorts of "Can't connect" problems.

We managed to get running by:

1) using static IP for the slimserver PC and SB (DHCP for the rest of his kit)
2) installing XP SP2 and all the MS updates
3) opening ports 9000 etc on the windows firewall after 1 & 2 (didn't work before)

After that, the SB3 worked immediately, first time.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-19, 09:04
The Sb3s, with their relatively big buffers, can survive momentary dropouts. So that, by itself, is not a show-stopper. And that seldom stops basic connectivity - at worst, the music would stop occasionally.

Can you get the system running wired first? If you have the SB3 beside the router, clearly you could run a wire.

Do that and get all the slimserver configuration issues out of the way first.

This sounds like 2 problems overlapping. That's always harder to debug.

Try to take all the wireless complexity out of the equation first and get the server configured and running correctly. If you're running XP2 with it's firewall, or if you're running someone elses firewall, you need to get that straight before the rest of it has a chance of working.

So that's my suggestion - get it working wired first.

Hope this helps.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-19, 09:10
The router is a 3com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54g 3CRWE754G72A.
Oh, oh.

Is this one of those ADSL modems with built-in router?

Someone had one here a few months ago (different brand, same nonsense). Some of them have internal firewalls between the ports. That blocks Slimserver access to the squeezeboxes. And some of them can't have this "feature" defeated.

IIRC, the solution was to go to a computer store and buy a simple $29 hub or switch. Put the SB and the computer running slimserver on the switch, connect the uplink of the switch to your "ADSL router".

If that works, the problem is the router is firewalling between LAN ports. If that misfeature can't be disabled, it cannot be used for home networking and needs to be exchanged for one that can. Sadly, the one I looked at a few months ago for someone either couldn't (or else there was no documentation for how to).

HTH

ethereal_heart
2006-03-19, 11:54
Hi,

I think I've tried everything now. Wired up, the sb3 works as it should with my ADSL router. I can access slimserver (but only after shutting down sygate firewall) and squeezenetwork. The sb3 finds my computer on the network perfectly. That's what I did yesterday and that's how I upgraded the FW on my sb3. I was hoping the new FW would make the wireless connection work, but it never made any difference. I've done all the port forwarding and dhcp server disabling and wireless network configuration jiggery-pokery.. no difference. I'm getting a new wireless adsl modem tomorrow. You seem to not like them Michael, but alot of people use them successfully so it should work. If it doesn't, then I'm going to find an alternative wireless music system. But I reckon it will.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-19, 16:59
I'm getting a new wireless adsl modem tomorrow. You seem to not like them Michael

It's nothing personal, I assure you. I've never had one, and so don't care much personally one way or the other.

I think I've tried everything now.

Did you try the $29 switch I suggested?

sterry21
2006-03-19, 17:53
I had the same problem, which drove me nuts for a few hours. Then I realized that I had inadvertently added a SPACE character after my SSID. It was hard to see--and then I found the "Delete character" function on the remote and used that to get rid of the additional SPACE.

I had a headphone short--perhaps it's a similar problem for you.

Cheers

Steve Terry

ethereal_heart
2006-03-28, 18:37
Late update. Good news, the new router works (and how!). Set up within minutes (updated the router FW first) and have been enjoying my Squeezebox 3 on a solid wireless connection with WPA-PSK encryption ever since. A bonus is that the new router is alot more reliable when using the net too, and it's nicer looking with a smaller footprint.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-28, 19:27
Glad to hear it worked out.

I had a similar experience many years ago with my first cable modem. It worked for a while, then kept getting slower and slower. They told me it was all the other customers on my block who were also getting the internet on cable. I took a little survey. There was me and one woman 2 blocks away and that was it in our little neighbourhood.

And then there was the little problem of the one month outage.

They sent out the repair guys. 3 different times. They checked the signal strength it was fine. They restrung the cable. Made no difference. Replaced the amplifiers on the pole. Nada. Finally they replaced the modem. Ran like a charm after that.

Sometimes they just fail in service. We're so used to electronics being the strongest link in the chain, we look everywhere else first.