PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly can't connect to web ui from networked computer ?

Siduhe
2006-03-13, 09:26
Has anyone got any bright ideas on the following:

I recently set up a dedicated music server running slimserver on XP, wired connection to router, static IP "192.168.0.104". I also have a laptop which connects wirelessly to the router.

When I logged in this morning, I could access the web ui on the dedicated server via localhost:9000 and on the laptop via "192.168.0.104:9000".

Suddenly, I can't access the web ui from the laptop - the connection just times out. I've tried rebooting both laptop and server several times. I've checked that incoming connections aren't blocked in the Security tab of Server Settings, (in any event, my network IP range is "allowed"). My network is also the "trusted" range of my firewall, and doesn't show up as being blocked in any of the logs in any event. I've tried with the firewall switched off and uninstalled as well - still no joy.

I haven't made any changes or installed any programs on either machine.

The problem is the same on Windows Explorer and Firefox and changing the security settings on the brower tools doesn't make any difference.

I've tried reinstalling and updating the browsers. I don't have a third machine to connect to see if I can narrow the problem down to the laptop or the music server.

Have searched other threads and I'm probably at the limits of my troubleshooting knowledge and would be grateful for other thoughts ?

jonheal
2006-03-13, 09:31
Has anyone got any bright ideas on the following:

I recently set up a dedicated music server running slimserver on XP, wired connection to router, static IP "192.168.0.104". I also have a laptop which connects wirelessly to the router.

When I logged in this morning, I could access the web ui on the dedicated server via localhost:9000 and on the laptop via "192.168.0.104:9000".

Suddenly, I can't access the web ui from the laptop - the connection just times out. I've tried rebooting both laptop and server several times. I've checked that incoming connections aren't blocked in the Security tab of Server Settings, (in any event, my network IP range is "allowed"). My network is also the "trusted" range of my firewall, and doesn't show up as being blocked in any of the logs in any event. I've tried with the firewall switched off and uninstalled as well - still no joy.

I haven't made any changes or installed any programs on either machine.

The problem is the same on Windows Explorer and Firefox and changing the security settings on the brower tools doesn't make any difference.

I've tried reinstalling and updating the browsers. I don't have a third machine to connect to see if I can narrow the problem down to the laptop or the music server.

Have searched other threads and I'm probably at the limits of my troubleshooting knowledge and would be grateful for other thoughts ?
To narrow things down, can you see the server if you plug the laptop into the router with an ethernet cable (rather than using wireless)?

Siduhe
2006-03-13, 09:46
I can't access the web ui by the laptop via a wired or wireless connection.

I can see all the networked shares on the PC server via wired or wireless.

What's puzzling is that it has suddenly stopped working - which suggests some kind of setting has changed. All I've done today is ripped a cd on the PC server and been working on documents on the laptop as far as I can remember.

jonheal
2006-03-13, 10:29
I can't access the web ui by the laptop via a wired or wireless connection.

I can see all the networked shares on the PC server via wired or wireless.

What's puzzling is that it has suddenly stopped working - which suggests some kind of setting has changed. All I've done today is ripped a cd on the PC server and been working on documents on the laptop as far as I can remember.
I'm assuming that you can still get on the Internet from the laptop, and that you can still browse to the server FROM the server at: http://locahost:9000. The server is running, yes?

Siduhe
2006-03-13, 10:51
I'm assuming that you can still get on the Internet from the laptop, and that you can still browse to the server FROM the server at: http://locahost:9000. The server is running, yes?

Yes to both. The server will resolve all of localhost, 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.104:9000. It is just the laptop which is refusing to play ball.

I will probably try a different browser to IE and Firefox next. Opera maybe ?

Thanks for the interest and assistance.

jonheal
2006-03-13, 11:33
Yes to both. The server will resolve all of localhost, 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.104:9000. It is just the laptop which is refusing to play ball.

I will probably try a different browser to IE and Firefox next. Opera maybe ?

Thanks for the interest and assistance.
I would doubt another browser would help if two stopped working all of the sudden.

One last stupid question... you are browsing to:

http://192.168.0.104:9000

on the laptop and not:

https://192.168.0.104:9000

Siduhe
2006-03-13, 14:44
Well, I got it working by a process of elimination. All of the items on my network are set up with static IPs, and for some reason 192.168.0.104 just isn't working. There's nothing else physically using that IP address, but it must be leased out to something other than the media server for some reason.

I forced the media server to a new static address and rebooted router and all items on the network. All seems to be working fine now. Thought I should report back in case anyone ever has the same problem. Thanks for the help, Jon.