PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Squeezebox 3, some Q's

Magic_x_uk
2006-03-13, 06:06
Hi, Im keith from the UK.
Just recently I have put all my CD collection onto the Computer (some 180 albums and rising) around 15GB.

Now my computer is upstairs and my Hi-Fi downstairs, so bought the squeezebox after reading a lot on different makes out there and this seems to be a very good unit.

it should be with me in the next couple of days. Anything i must do with it out of the box, like any upgrade of the software etc ?? or should i be ok as is ?

Hopefully i shall enjoy this unit and it will serve me well. I have no wireless router yet, but am 99% sure I will buy the Netgear DG834G v2 Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall and WG311v3 54Mbps Wireless PCI Card (for another PC in another room)

If you can advice me on anything I should know, i would appreciate it.

Cannot wait to get it. it better sound good and work well. There not that cheap!

Thanks all

danco
2006-03-13, 06:31
You have to download the SlimServer software (it is free). Currently the stable version is 6.2.1. Once you are really happy with the SB, you can decide whether to go up to 6.2.2 or 6.5, which have advantages but are not necessarily stable yet.

The software includes SoftSqueeze, which runs on your comuter and is a software emulator of the SB. Useful for trying things out, as well as for listening on your computer.

I assume that the SB firmware will be the one that goes with 6.2.1.

I would recommend that you look in the wiki, read the various beginners' guides.

Note that the superfast speed ('turbo' mode) almost certainly won't work, you will need to use standard 802.11g.

mherger
2006-03-13, 06:31
> it should be with me in the next couple of days. Anything i must do
> with it out of the box, like any upgrade of the software etc ?? or
> should i be ok as is ?

I'd recommend installing SlimServer before the box arrives. Let it scan
your music collection so you're ready, once the box arrives. The player's
firmware is updated by the server software.

> If you can advice me on anything I should know, i would appreciate it.

After installing the server software, give the Softsqueeze a try: this is
a software emulater of the box, including the remote control. It gives you
a good feeling of how the actual product works.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Magic_x_uk
2006-03-13, 06:33
Thank you for your quick reply.

you think that router will be ok though, as i have no experiance with wireless equipment as of yet

ceejay
2006-03-13, 06:48
Thank you for your quick reply.

you think that router will be ok though, as i have no experiance with wireless equipment as of yet

Well, it does appear in the Wiki Router list at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus - so it looks like someone is ok with it. I have another Netgear (WGT624) which also works fine.

Ceejay

Magic_x_uk
2006-03-13, 06:51
just downloaded Slim server, installed it and its doing nothing ? where is the screen ? it start up and all it does is sit in my task bar next to my clock. Cant seem to open anything to see my music files, or see a emulator ??

I downloaded slimserver v6.2.1

TorbenGB
2006-03-13, 06:56
just downloaded Slim server, installed it and its doing nothing ? where is the screen ? it start up and all it does is sit in my task bar next to my clock.

Doubleclick the icon in the taskbar. You will see the SlimServer interface, it is opening in your browser. From there you can change system settings, control the players, and much more.

Magic_x_uk
2006-03-13, 07:06
ok got it working and all my files are in there. although SoftSqueeze looks graphic wise the same as the squeezebox 2 not the 3 as i am buying ? is that normal ?? would be nice to use it as the model i am buying ?

aubuti
2006-03-13, 07:41
Yes, what you're seeing is normal. Actually, the Squeezebox 2 appearance is just one of many "skins" for SoftSqueeze. Other skins are available that have no hardware counterpart, and so far there is no skin that looks like the SB3. Note, however, that the remote control on the default skin looks exactly like the remote you will be getting with your SB3. Also, the actual screen display is the same on the SB2 & SB3, so it's really only the difference in the case that you're not seeing. All in all, you'll find SoftSqueeze operations remarkably similar to using the Squeezebox itself.

Wirrunna
2006-03-13, 21:37
Don't forget the wiki - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/ - a lot of the suggestions so far are in the Beginner's Guide, and when you start connecting wireless routers with firewalls and turbo modes the wiki will be invaluable !