PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent system behavior

pablolie
2006-03-12, 14:09
It's odd to see SB3 having issues with individual songs - nothking's wrong with them, they play perfect through WMP. All the other songs in the album play nicely through SB as well, but with one song, there's a dropout that happens consistently at exactly the same place. File check - nothing wrong with the file. No wireless network issue, either. It's some weird gremlin in the SQB or Slimserver that causes the system to skip to the next song at exactly the same point in the song. Argh. Very annoying to run across those. The song is in MP3 320kbps. Again, nothing is wrong with the configuration, the album, the song file or file system.

This is with SS 6.2.2.

Is it recommended to go back to 6.2.1 when one just wants a working, no surprises configuration that's been thoroughly trouble-shooted? The only reason for me to go 6.2.2 was the wireless setup stuff that prevented 6.2.1 to work in my environment. But I am happy with something that plays my music the way it should. I really could not care less about all the Internet radio stuff or other functionality - all I want is the most stable config to play music.

Fred
2006-03-13, 14:09
all I want is the most stable config to play music.

This should be 6.2.2 (the nightly). Only bug fixes make it in there. New stuff goes into 6.5.

Now in the interrest of debugging your issue, you may go back to 6.2.1 and check if by any chance the same issue pops up again. This could indicate a change external to the server, like a corrupted file (which other players could well accept and not SlimServer for some reason).

HTH

Fred

pablolie
2006-03-13, 14:14
> ... like a corrupted file (which other players could well
> accept and not SlimServer for some reason).

For some reason, the file now plays without a single problem over the SQB3 via Slimserver. The only change... I deleted Softsqueeze from my computer. Don't ask me why - Softsqueeze seems to be allergic to files that Slimserver lays through the SQB without an issue. Now everything plays fine again over the SQB.