PDA

View Full Version : Is MediaCenter's ReplayGain tag supported ?

rjay
2006-03-12, 05:54
I use MediaCenter and recently used the 'Analyze Audio' feature to write ReplayGain to my FLAC & MP3 files. However it doesn't seem to be picked up by Slimserver and after some googling I found this link referring to some kind of bug:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/branches/BRANCH_6_2_x/server/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm?rev=5317&view=markup

I don't really understand what the above link is so can anyone tell me whether they have used MediaCenter to apply the Replay Gain field or alternatively let me know of another app that definitely works with FLAC, MP3 & SS :)

max.spicer
2006-03-12, 06:24
Don't know about mp3, but replay gain with flac is definitely supported. metaflac is one command that will add this information.

metaflac --add-replay-gain album/*.flac

Get it from http://flac.sf.net

Max

I use MediaCenter and recently used the 'Analyze Audio' feature to write ReplayGain to my FLAC & MP3 files. However it doesn't seem to be picked up by Slimserver and after some googling I found this link referring to some kind of bug:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/branches/BRANCH_6_2_x/server/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm?rev=5317&view=markup

I don't really understand what the above link is so can anyone tell me whether they have used MediaCenter to apply the Replay Gain field or alternatively let me know of another app that definitely works with FLAC, MP3 & SS :)

rjay
2006-03-12, 06:40
Thanks - but I'm specifically asking about Media Center's implementation of the tag ...

MeSue
2006-03-12, 07:22
I use MediaCenter and recently used the 'Analyze Audio' feature to write ReplayGain to my FLAC & MP3 files. ... can anyone tell me whether they have used MediaCenter to apply the Replay Gain field
Media Center's Replay Gain is definitely supported in MP3. I don't know about FLAC files (don't use them) but if you file an enhancement request and provide a sample file, Slim may add it if they haven't already.

One thing to note, though... by default, MediaCenter only saves Replay Gain for tracks to the file tags. If you want SlimServer to be able to use both track gain and album gain, you will need to go into MediaCenter and change the settings so that Album Gain is saved to the tags. To do this, go to Tools > Options > Library, find the Album Gain library field, click edit, and put a check in the box "Store in file tags (when possible)." While you're there you might as well check to see if Replay Gain is being saved to the tags. If it's not, it may be why it seems not to be working for you.

Then for your already analyzed songs, in MC you will need to select them, right click and choose Library Tools > Update Tags (from library). Finally, do a clear and rescan in Slimserver. Once SS finishes the rescan, you should be able to verify whether SlimServer has picked up the replay gain and album gain tags from the songinfo page in the Web UI, or by scrolling through the song information on the player.

max.spicer
2006-03-12, 07:49
If they've implemented it differently to the way that metaflac does it then they deserve to be shot! I'd hope this is unlikely (unless they're owned by Microsoft...).

Max

Thanks - but I'm specifically asking about Media Center's implementation of the tag ...

rjay
2006-03-12, 11:50
Put it this way, with Media Center 8, the tag is not being recognised in SS. Or at least, I hear no evidence of it AND when I view the Song info page in SS there is no mention of a Replay Gain tag.

MeSue
2006-03-12, 12:42
I use Media Center 11 and it works with SlimServer 6.x for MP3 files. I guess if you want it badly enough you would have to upgrade.