PDA

View Full Version : Any Beastie Boys fans here?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-11, 18:11
I'm not heavily into hip-hop, but I have liked the Beastie Boys since the Licenced to Ill days.

Lately their stuff has been really fun and quite sonically complex. I can almost always understand what they are saying, which is more than I can say for most music artists.

And of course they have the best videos. Sabotage is my #1 favourite video of all time. Intergalactic and Ch-Check It Out are also great.

I remember the first time I saw Intergalactic was in a bar with some friends. One of them said "Did he just say 'I'll stir fry you in my wok'?"

:-)

deepblu
2006-03-11, 19:35
I'm a fan of Beastie Boys.
Best of all their tunes got funk.
Makes me feel like rippin' the curtains off the wall.
That's a good thing at my age. ;-)

Skunk
2006-03-11, 20:05
...is my favorite music video ever. Do you have the criterion collection video anthology?

Beastie Boys wrote:
>Puttin bodies in motion cause I got the notion
>Like Roy Cormier with the coconut lotion

ezkcdude
2006-03-11, 21:29
I'm not heavily into hip-hop, but I have liked the Beastie Boys since the Licenced to Ill days.

Lately their stuff has been really fun and quite sonically complex. I can almost always understand what they are saying, which is more than I can say for most music artists.

And of course they have the best videos. Sabotage is my #1 favourite video of all time. Intergalactic and Ch-Check It Out are also great.

I remember the first time I saw Intergalactic was in a bar with some friends. One of them said "Did he just say 'I'll stir fry you in my wok'?"

:-)

And you didn't even mention their best album, Paul's Boutique. "Hey, ladies..."

funkstar
2006-03-12, 03:14
...is my favorite music video ever. Do you have the criterion collection video anthology?

Beastie Boys wrote:
>Puttin bodies in motion cause I got the notion
>Like Roy Cormier with the coconut lotion
I'll have to try and find this, their videos are amazing...just as good a the music. Never really got into their earlier stuff, but Hello Nasty is fantastic, so is their new one To The Five Buroughs

It's the way rap and hip hop sould be.

dbuk
2006-03-12, 04:25
If you like the funky instrumentals, like Sabrosa on Ill Communications. There's a compilation, "The In Sound From Way Out". I'm not sure if I'm convinced by "To The Five Boroughs"

Robster
2006-03-12, 05:05
[QUOTE=Skunk]...is my favorite music video ever. Do you have the criterion collection video anthology?

Yeah I got this, it's great, so many different mixes, commentaries and the classic vids

get it here....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IU5Q/qid=1142164958/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/203-8869219-4611918

Rob

funkstar
2006-03-12, 10:26
14.99 on Play.com :)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=R2M&title=108462

Skunk
2006-03-12, 13:46
I'll have to try and find this, their videos are amazing...just as good a the music.

I found it for 9.99 used, and see it all the time in used cd stores.

The camera angles are selectable on the fly. Here are the ones for Intergalactic alone:
1.Final cut
2.Slo-mo, lip sync
3.Fast-mo lip sync
4.Vogue
5.Platform
6.Spin cam
7.The jogger
8.The scientists
9.Officer side streets

Audio for the same song:
1.Album ver w/ sound effects
2.Colleone&Webb remix1
3.Colleone&Webb remix2
4.Sever&Hoffman remix
5.Prisoners of Technology remix (my fav from memory)
6.A cappella version

..Of course all the songs don't have so much material, but 75% of the songs have at least 5 audio mixes : )

Jon
2006-03-12, 19:09
Does anyone remember the 12" EP of "Cookie Puss" and "Bonus Batter" from the early 80s?

Skunk
2006-03-13, 14:50
Does anyone remember the 12" EP of "Cookie Puss" and "Bonus Batter" from the early 80s?

No, but I remember being on the schoolbus as a fifth grader hearing fight for your right (to party), so they must be at least 35-40 year olds by now. I'm thinking a bunch of gray haired old men jumping around stage rapping is going to be fun to see some day : )

Raify
2006-03-14, 00:37
I saw them at Wembley, just after the release of the 5 Boroughs. They were amazing, absolutely tore up the place. Not bad for old fellas! (okay, just a few years older than me!).

I stumbled across a great album recently, loads of their songs mixed up by DJ Green Lantern: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPN2BS/qid=1142321736/sr=8-19/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i19_xgl/026-9335447-2850053

Worth 7 !

branas
2006-04-28, 17:37
I really started liking them after Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication, In Sound From Way Out, the list goes on. Truly an underrated group and stereotyped after their first major commercial release. I saw them in '94 at Lollapalooza. They absolutely blew everyone away. The big headliner was Smashing Pumpkins but everyone realized that the Bboys delivered better than anyone. The only other show that I enjoyed during that concert even close to the Bboys was Charlie Hunter on the 2nd stage. If you like jazz you should check him out, he plays the guitar and bass at the same time with a custom 8 string.