PDA

View Full Version : WPA-PSK / SlimServer / D-Link Trouble... Please Help!

smurfk1
2006-03-11, 14:53
I've been running my SqueezeBox3 from a Linksys wireless router for about 3 months. Once my initial setup was complete (which took a little while to figure out) I had no trouble connecting to my OS X hosted SlimServer through WPA Personal on the Linksys. The Linksys turned out to be a major pain, crashing hard every few weeks, so I just replaced it with a D-Link DI-524. My problem now is that I cannot get everything to work together.

To begin with, I'm running 6.2.2/35 on my SlimServer/SB3.

Everything works fine so long as the wireless security is turned off, but once WPA-PSK is turned on, I'm only able to get this far:

Obtain IP Address (DHTP) -> Looking for SlimServer (finds 192.168.0.100) -> Connect to Wireless Network -> Can't find SlimServer

When security is off, it finds all of the network stuff, connects to the SlimServer and takes me to the Squeezebox home (Now Playing.)

I have the application/port 3483 & 9000 connection stuff set up both in my router and in OS X. I would assume that this is not related to WPA directly, so if these setting are correct, they'll be used by regardless of what sort of authentication you use.

I've looked through all of the threads related to this topic and haven't found anything useful. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-11, 17:59
Can you connect to SqueezeNetwork? If you can, then it is a firewall issue. You say you haven't changed anything on your Mac, maybe something in the router is blocking it.

For that matter, does the router have MAC address filtering and is the Squeezebox on the list?

smurfk1
2006-03-11, 18:31
I do not have MAC filtering enabled.

As for SqueezeNet vs. SlimServer, the results are the same. Without password protection I can access either. With password protection (WPA) I can access neither.

JJZolx
2006-03-11, 19:58
I've been running my SqueezeBox3 from a Linksys wireless router for about 3 months. Once my initial setup was complete (which took a little while to figure out) I had no trouble connecting to my OS X hosted SlimServer through WPA Personal on the Linksys. The Linksys turned out to be a major pain, crashing hard every few weeks, so I just replaced it with a D-Link DI-524. My problem now is that I cannot get everything to work together.

To begin with, I'm running 6.2.2/35 on my SlimServer/SB3.

Everything works fine so long as the wireless security is turned off, but once WPA-PSK is turned on, I'm only able to get this far:

Obtain IP Address (DHTP) -> Looking for SlimServer (finds 192.168.0.100) -> Connect to Wireless Network -> Can't find SlimServer

When security is off, it finds all of the network stuff, connects to the SlimServer and takes me to the Squeezebox home (Now Playing.)

I have the application/port 3483 & 9000 connection stuff set up both in my router and in OS X. I would assume that this is not related to WPA directly, so if these setting are correct, they'll be used by regardless of what sort of authentication you use.

I've looked through all of the threads related to this topic and haven't found anything useful. Any suggestions?
Are you using TKIP? Don't use AES or AUTO. You'll probably find it under the label 'Cipher Type' in the D-Link setup.

smurfk1
2006-03-12, 18:03
For those interested, I still can't get WPA to work at all, but I have learned a few more things.

Although the Squeezebox3 will connect to both my wireless router (d-link) and my computer (running OS X) it still will not connect to the SlimServer. I've tried WPA using both TKIP and AES, and the above results are true for both.

Interestingly enough, I can connect using both WEP 64 and 128 bit. I've never been able to get WPA2 to work with this or my former linksys router, but I think it's because it requires a radius server, or some such nonsense.

So my underlying question is still why does WPA work with my linksys router and not my d-link router?

thanks again!

smc2911
2006-03-12, 18:17
What sort of signal strength do you have when you connect without WPA? In the past I had troubles with getting a DHCP IP address assigned with WPA on when I had low signal strength (using a laptop not the SB) and it was suggested to me that the WPA creates a bit of an extra overhead which can time out the DHCP conversation. This may not be the same thing, but you could test this theory, by trying WPA with a static IP address.

Sean.

danco
2006-03-13, 00:06
Although the Squeezebox3 will connect to both my wireless router (d-link) and my computer (running OS X) it still will not connect to the SlimServer. I've tried WPA using both TKIP and AES, and the above results are true for both.

I'm not sure what you mean here. SlimServer is just software running on the computer, so how can you connect to the computer and not the SlimServer?

Have you looked at the router status page of the wiki? It lists which routers are known to work (or not) with which security level.

smurfk1
2006-03-13, 15:37
smc2911... my signal strength is at 100%. For testing purposes, the Squeezebox is actually sitting on my desk, just a couple of feet from the wireless router. Even in the front room where the final installation will be, the signal strength has never fallen much below 90%.

danco... the wiki shows no bad messages about my router, however the only devices tested are versions A and D and I'm running D-Link DI-524 rev E with the latest firmware (5.1)

As for the confusion about Slimserver, let me try again.

If I go through the Squeezebox3 setup process, I choose my wireless network and connect using WPA-PSK with TKIP. It then connects to the wireless network and I choose to connect using DHCP (sorry, there was a typo in my original post.) Then I have the option to connect to my local machine (shows machine name and IP address), SqueezeNet or a manual IP address. I select my local machine, it pauses, then goes through connecting to my router bit again, then gives me an error that in cannot find the SlimServer. The same is true for SqueezeNet.

If no password is used, or if I use WEP, everything works fine.

JJZolx
2006-03-13, 15:54
smc2911... my signal strength is at 100%. For testing purposes, the Squeezebox is actually sitting on my desk, just a couple of feet from the wireless router. Even in the front room where the final installation will be, the signal strength has never fallen much below 90%.

danco... the wiki shows no bad messages about my router, however the only devices tested are versions A and D and I'm running D-Link DI-524 rev E with the latest firmware (5.1)

As for the confusion about Slimserver, let me try again.

If I go through the Squeezebox3 setup process, I choose my wireless network and connect using WPA-PSK with TKIP. It then connects to the wireless network and I choose to connect using DHCP (sorry, there was a typo in my original post.) Then I have the option to connect to my local machine (shows machine name and IP address), SqueezeNet or a manual IP address. I select my local machine, it pauses, then goes through connecting to my router bit again, then gives me an error that in cannot find the SlimServer. The same is true for SqueezeNet.

If no password is used, or if I use WEP, everything works fine.
I take it you still can't connect to SqueezeNetwork either?

What IP address does the Squeezebox receive via DHCP? If it's a DHCP issue, the SB will breifly show that it's received an IP address of 168.254.xxx.xxx, which actually means it failed to get an IP address from a DHCP server. If that happens, try manually setting an IP address that's on your LAN's subnet.

I think that the reason the SB shows you the SlimServer on your network as an option is that it remembers it from when you had connected with WEP or no password. It probably doesn't actually see it.

smurfk1
2006-03-13, 16:21
Thanks Jim. You are correct that I cannot connect to SqueezeNet either. The IP address shown is the correct IP, but I hadn't considered that it might be cached by the Squeezebox3.

If the IP address shown is cached (and therefore not necisarily correct or active at the time it's displayed) the issue may be someplace else, but I can eliminate most.

Remember, I can connect using no password or WEP, just not with WPA. So my IP info must be fine, SlimServer is running, etc. It seems to me that there is simply an issue with WPA and maybe it is a time-out issue (which I also never considered.) I suppose that I can return this router, but there's no guarantee that company X's WPA router configuration is no more compatible to SqueezeBox than D-Links.

I'm going to give D-Link a call tomorrow to see if they have any ideas, but for now I guess I need to choose between a secure network or a musically friendly one!

JJZolx
2006-03-13, 17:00
Thanks Jim. You are correct that I cannot connect to SqueezeNet either. The IP address shown is the correct IP, but I hadn't considered that it might be cached by the Squeezebox3.
I said the SlimServer address will be remembered. From what I've seen, I don't believe the SB caches its own IP address (although that might be the smart thing to do; in either case a good clear indication when it failed to get a DHCP address would be nice).

If the IP address shown is cached (and therefore not necisarily correct or active at the time it's displayed) the issue may be someplace else, but I can eliminate most.

Remember, I can connect using no password or WEP, just not with WPA. So my IP info must be fine, SlimServer is running, etc.
Yes, that tells you that SlimServer and the machine on which it is running are probably configured correctly. No firewalls or similar issues.

It seems to me that there is simply an issue with WPA and maybe it is a time-out issue (which I also never considered.) I suppose that I can return this router, but there's no guarantee that company X's WPA router configuration is no more compatible to SqueezeBox than D-Links.

I'm going to give D-Link a call tomorrow to see if they have any ideas, but for now I guess I need to choose between a secure network or a musically friendly one!
I'd be surprised if D-Link will be able to help. About your only recourse there might be to try older versions of the firmware for the device.

There are still some definite issues with the Squeezebox 3 firmware and many wireless access points, so you just may have to live with WEP until (if) Slim Devices gets those resolved. Or try a different wireless router.

Churro
2006-03-15, 04:52
I had a similar problem with my D-Link 2100 access point and my squeezebox3 (no problems with the squeezebox2).
It turned out that the sb3 didn't like the "wireless G with dynamic boost" AND the power output level. Turning off the boost AND setting the power output to a quarter fixed it for me.
I saw the same as you, getting a 169.x.x.x address (DHCP server not found) using WPA only, didn't change those settings as I knew they were OK with my sb2. Changed the boost and power level and it immediately got an IP and connected to the silmserver.

(Just looked at the RouterStatus in the wiki which says basically the same thing. I should've looked there first)