PDA

View Full Version : Handheld controller like Sonos?

groverblue
2006-03-11, 14:04
I finally got to read the march/06 issue of Linux Journal, and there was a nice article about Sonos.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8689

I was wondering if Slim Devices would be releasing a hand-held controller similar to that by Sonos.

I'm not always in the same room where the stereo is, so an IR remote is not as convientent as something like a WiFi browser/controller to the Squeezebox.

Something like this would be great. Actually, I think it would be the perfect addition to the Slim Devices line, and I would much prefer to purchase a Slim Devices protect because of the slimserver.

aubuti
2006-03-11, 14:07
Check out the Nokia 770. It isn't Squeezebox-specific, and that should be considered a plus. There are a lot of posts here about it, especially the very slick skin that a someone is developing.

groverblue
2006-03-11, 14:50
How does that work? I found a link on the Nokia 770, and having it play a stream, but will using the skin allow me to building a playlist to stream to the squeezebox, even after the 770 has been disconnected/off? I didn't see any clear indication of this.

radish
2006-03-11, 15:54
Of course, the 770 is designed as (primarily) a web browser. Just use it to go to the SlimServer web page and use it as you would from any other computer.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-11, 17:40
How does that work? I found a link on the Nokia 770, and having it play a stream, but will using the skin allow me to building a playlist to stream to the squeezebox, even after the 770 has been disconnected/off? I didn't see any clear indication of this.

It's like the Sonos remote - it will fully control the Squeezebox. You're going to the SlimServer web page.

Since the commands are being sent to SlimServer, you can build a playlist then turn the 770 off. SlimServer will handle the rest.

cshaida
2006-03-11, 19:07
Search the Wiki using 'nokia 770' and you'll get a detailed description of how the 770 works with slimserver and the squeezebox --complete with screen shots, snazzy album art, etc.

Search the General Forum using 'nokia 770' and you'll get a ton of information from us actual users.

The skin developed specifically for the 770 is fabulous. I've never owned a sonos system but I did look at them seriously when I was replacing my auditotrons and I think now that the 770 is here with Ben's skin the sqzbox+770 combination is pretty great.

mrfantasy
2006-03-11, 19:11
I finally got to read the march/06 issue of Linux Journal, and there was a nice article about Sonos.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8689

Seems like someone needs to show this guy a Squeezebox. I understand his point about home automation stuff in general, but there's a lot of open source X10 stuff, and Slimserver is what he needs to make his dreams come true.

bernt
2006-03-12, 13:22
http://umpc.com/default.aspx and Moose.

moby_uk
2006-03-13, 02:40
The Nokia 770 with Ben's skin is a fabulous solution. You can cue tracks from any room in the house, start the playlist *then* go and surf the web/play games/sort your email on it.

The skin is very professional - I tend to leave mine running on the now playing screen, so I get album art etc.

With the 770 selling at 220 in the UK, compared to 350 for the sonos and a free skin, it's a nice (relatively) cheap solution.