PDA

View Full Version : Playing CDs on the SB3?

Aphextwin
2006-03-11, 03:38
Hi there, I have only a simple question: is it possibile to play cds on a computer and stream them directly to the SB3 without ripping and storing the tracks on the hard disk? Do I need a special plugin?

Thanks a lot.

Bruno

ModelCitizen
2006-03-11, 04:07
You may want to read this very recent thread.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21767
MC

autopilot
2006-03-11, 05:07
I never really understood why anyone would want to do this myself.

pm314
2006-03-11, 05:33
I use Winamp/Shoutcast (as mentioned in the other linked thread) to stream CDs and FM stations to SB3. I do it because people (in-laws) may want to listen music on our system but it is some junk that I would not want to take the time to rip/play/delete. FM stations are just fun to listen to sometimes although I find myself listening more and more to internet stations.

Aphextwin
2006-03-11, 08:15
I never really understood why anyone would want to do this myself.

Here are some reasons:

1. If I put a cd in my Mac and rip it, i have to open iTunes, import all tracks, store them on my hard disk and then go to Slimserver, do a rescan of the library (it takes usually more or less 10 - 15 mins, in which the Squeezebox doesn't work properly), and finally play it. Wouldn't be easier just to put a cd in my computer an play it through the Squeezebox immediately?

2. I would like to get rid of my cd player and only use a Mac Mini, a Squeezebox, an amplifier and two speakers. Don't know if it makes sense to you, but to me certainly.

Bruno

Patrick Dixon
2006-03-11, 08:52
Don't know if it makes sense to you, but to me certainly.It makes sense to me too.

zooropa320
2006-03-11, 09:20
There's something to be said for having EVERY cd you own (good or bad) ripped and stored on your hard drive because you never know when you (or someone else) might want to play them. Depending upon how often you need to play those other cds it may just be easier to take some time to rip them and not need to worry about them at all.

Richie
2006-03-11, 09:53
> all tracks, store them on my hard disk and then go to Slimserver, do a
> rescan of the library (it takes usually more or less 10 - 15 mins, in
> which the Squeezebox doesn't work properly), and finally play it.

If I've just ripped a CD I want to listen to straight away I use
Browse Music Folder to look at the new folder and the CD gets added to
the database without having to rescan everything.

Richard

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-03-11, 10:07
I think the best reason to do this was mentioned; someone brings a CD
you don't own over and you want to play it through your distributed
audio system. I suspect a goodly number of us here (me included)
don't have CD-players anymore. Personally, I work around this by
playing CDs in the DVD player, which routes the sound through the
stereo anyway, but it's really not an ideal solution.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.