PDA

View Full Version : SB audio quitting after one track



aubuti
2006-03-10, 22:53
A problem suddenly popped up with my wired SB2, which has been working fine since I got it a couple weeks ago. The exact symptoms vary a little, but the most common problem is that it stops playing after one track in the playlist. Here's the details:

1. Running SS 6.2.2 - 6491, with firmware 35. Previously ran 6.2.2 build 6200 (with firmware 29) and didn't have these problems. Unfortunately, downgrading back to build 6200 doesn't seem to help.

2. Slimserver is running on a LinkStation HD-HG250, with OpenLink 0.51b installed. Connection is via ethernet. Audio out is using the RCA jacks, which connect to a Y-cable that runs a mini stereo plug into the back of amplified speakers (this is the compact, lo-fi kitchen system....)

3. The first track plays through, and then the music stops, leaving that song info on the SB screen. It's still possible to browse the music collection with the remote, and when I try to play another track, the track comes up on the screen, but no sound. So it's not that the SB is completely freezing.

4. After the music cuts out, sometimes traces of the screensaver (spectrum analyzer and analog VU) remain frozen on the screen background, not moving when the music stops/starts/changes.

5. I also have a wireless SB3 that doesn't have this problem. I changed the ethernet cable on the SB2, but it didn't help.

6. Need to power cycle the SB to get it to respond again.

7. SqueezeNetwork seems to work okay.

So it seems like it's a problem with the SB2, not with the server or the network. Any ideas on solutions, or even the next steps on debugging?

Thanks in advance.
-Ken

aubuti
2006-03-11, 07:26
Bump

Another day, another data point. Now it seems that I can reproduce the problem behavior on the other SB, plus I got errors when I tried to restart slimserver. So I definitely have a server problem, and will install the latest nightly to see if that sorts it out.

Question: Is it possible that my preferences file is corrupted? And if so, is there anything else I should watch out for besides slimserver.pref, the server itself, and the library cache?

Thanks.

TorbenGB
2006-03-14, 13:30
What's your firmware version? We're seeing some strange things with version 35 (from the 6.2.2 beta), see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22096 and
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=94509

Related?

jonheal
2006-03-14, 13:33
What's your firmware version? We're seeing some strange things with version 35 (from the 6.2.2 beta), see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22096 and
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=94509

Related?
We're using v35, which I installed a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see this strange problem until today. I am going to turn on debugging to see if anything pops out. I'll also check the file dates of everything in the server folder. My assumption is that when SlimServer started this morning, it hosed some file somewhere, since everything was working fine yesterday.

aubuti
2006-03-14, 13:37
It started when I upgraded to firmware 35, but downgrading back to 29 didn't solve it (see #1 in OP). Deleting and re-creating my slimserver.pref file _appears_ to have solved it, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

melston
2006-04-17, 22:28
i've started to see a few posts like this. I am having the same problem. but here's my deal:

2 SB3's, one works fine, other exhibits the "1 song" problem
server is XP box running 6.2.2
SB firmware is 41 - before that i was running 6.2.1 & 28...

I just upgraded server and firmware today (4/17)

seems like there is a ghost in the machine...

Wirrunna
2006-04-18, 22:15
It started today, plays a few tracks and then stops. Power button wouldn't restart, found that the slimserver service had stopped.
Firmware 41, Win XP SP2, wireless link from Netgear router.