PDA

View Full Version : Hawking wireless? and other questions

tonyptony
2006-03-10, 07:27
Has any testing been done against the Hawking Tech HWR54G wireless router?

Is WEP-Open still not able to be used with the SB3?

Do I need to worry about what appear to be blank spaces at the end of my SSID which I programmed into the SB3?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-10, 12:27
Do I need to worry about what appear to be blank spaces at the end of my SSID which I programmed into the SB3?

Yes, that means you're not really seeing your true SSID.

If you say you entered the SSID into the SB3, then I assume you're not using SSID broadcast? Remove the trailing spaces by pressing the PLAY key while your cursor is over the trailing space. Be warned, though, I find connecting an SB3 to a non-SSID-broadcast wireless network is hit-and-miss, even with a router that works fine with the SB3 otherwise.

Not broadcasting SSID isn't much of a security advantage anyway.

You may also want to try a factory reset of the SB (unplug and replug the SB power, press and hold ADD as it comes up). This will wipe any pre-entered SSIDs. If you're broadcasting SSID, it should come up in the next configuration page.

If you don't want to reset the SB3 and you're broadcasting SSID, you may want to change your SSID to something temporary so you can tell there's no cached data.

tonyptony
2006-03-10, 15:36
Thanks Mark. I think the SSID concern is a non-issue. It got past the point where it "found" the network and tried to authenticate. That's where it's stopping. I think it's because I'm using WEP Open System. I heard the SB does not support this. Can you confirm?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-10, 15:56
I think it's because I'm using WEP Open System. I heard the SB does not support this. Can you confirm?

Unfortunately no. I'm using WPA. The SB is specified to support WEP 64 and WEP 128, not WEP Open so I suspect you're right.

It's largely academic as WEP is easily cracked in seconds and will deter only accidental connections.

tonyptony
2006-03-10, 16:09
Well, I fixed the problem. Part of it was WEP Open (unfortunately I have some devices that do not yet use WPA) and part of it was a typo in the WEP key! Thanks for the help Mark.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-10, 16:47
Great but I don't think I helped much. :-P

By your response, do you mean that you did get WEP Open working with the proper WEP key?

tonyptony
2006-03-10, 19:55
Nope. Had to use Shared.