PDA

View Full Version : Pandora ends abruptly

jlg84
2006-03-09, 15:59
I have noticed that when playing Pandora through my Squeezebox the songs will occasionally--sometimes often--end abruptly, with the next song commencing thereafter as though the song had ended properly. Any idea what I can do about this?

andyg
2006-03-09, 16:05
On Mar 9, 2006, at 5:59 PM, jlg84 wrote:

>
> I have noticed that when playing Pandora through my Squeezebox the
> songs
> will occasionally--sometimes often--end abruptly, with the next song
> commencing thereafter as though the song had ended properly. Any idea
> what I can do about this?

I haven't seen this. Are you sure the song isn't supposed to end
where it ends? Many albums have tracks that just run together, and
on Pandora they'll sound like they got cut off.

You say it happens often, so can you share the affected station with
me so I can listen and see if it happens to me? Login at Pandora.com
and click Share -> Email current station to a friend, and then send
it to me at andy (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com.

Thanks,
-Andy

jlg84
2006-03-09, 16:14
I have found this happening on several of my Pandora channels, with songs that I am familiar with as well as new ones. I am sending you the channel I was listening to this evening when it was happening again.

andyg
2006-03-10, 09:52
jlg84 wrote:
> I have found this happening on several of my Pandora channels, with
> songs that I am familiar with as well as new ones. I am sending you
> the channel I was listening to this evening when it was happening
> again.

I've been listening to your station for a while and haven't heard any problems
with songs ending too soon. I wonder if the problem is that your internet
connection has a problem keeping up with the stream. If the buffer runs out on
the player it will send an "underrun" event back to the server which will cause
it to skip to the next track. Do you have problems playing Pandora using the
Flash app on their website? Problems with other 128k streams?

-Andy

jlg84
2006-03-10, 15:24
There does not seem to be any problem with my internet connection, and the problem I described only happens when I'm using the Squeezebox, not when listening through my computer. Also, the next song begins immediately, so it's not as though there is a lag when the one song ends suddenly.

mhuie
2006-03-27, 16:07
I'm having the same issues also.

It stops in the middle of the songs, and the next song starts instantly. Sometimes the song plays for several minutes and it goes onto the next song, sometimes even within seconds.

I've tried it via a wired connection and same thing.

Ross L
2006-03-31, 10:10
jlg84, what is the make/model number/firmware version of your router?

I've been working with another customer who had the same issue, it turned out a firmware update to his router corrected everything.

boerner
2006-03-31, 10:16
My first time using Pandor was last night, and the same behavior happened. Unfortunately, the router I am using is provided by Verion for their FIOS service, and cannot be changed :-(

WrightDawg
2006-04-04, 22:36
Yep, same thing here. Happens both when I use Pandora through the computer as well as the Squeezebox. I have a SB3 and it cuts out all the time.

andyg
2006-04-05, 02:06
On Apr 5, 2006, at 1:36 AM, WrightDawg wrote:

>
> Yep, same thing here. Happens both when I use Pandora through the
> computer as well as the Squeezebox. I have a SB3 and it cuts out all
> the time.

Wait, so it happens when you listen with Pandora.com's flash player
too? Sounds like a bandwidth issue. Can you stream other 128k
internet radio stations to your computer or SB?

boerner
2006-04-05, 06:10
I have 15mbps downstream with my Verizon FIOS service, so I don't think I have a speed problem :-)

It hasn't happened again to me, (yet) but I haven't had a chance to use it as much as I would like.

Incidently, I received an email from Tim Westergen (head of Pandora) after I activated my trial account. Seemed like a form letter, but it stated he read every email. Well, I answered back with a few comments and he replied to me last night. He said he would forward my bug report on to the appropriate people.

I also mentioned that I did not like the "feature" that limits how many tracks you can skip. He stated that the service would have to be much more expensive that it already is without that limitation. Would love to see Pandora join with Rhapsody, in that I pay the regular Rhapsody fee, but have the "Pandora" functionality included.

Would also like to be able to buy a CD straight from the Squeezebox. Maybe later?

mherger
2006-04-05, 06:28
> I have 15mbps downstream with my Verizon FIOS service, so I don't think
> I have a speed problem :-)

You don't, but maybe your provider does, or Pandora's provider, Pandora
themselves or something between you and Pandora. All those big numbers
they're selling today are theory. As long as the other side or something
in between can't deliver your bandwith, you're lost.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

abdomen
2006-04-05, 07:21
Would also like to be able to buy a CD straight from the Squeezebox. Maybe later?
This might be dangerous, depending who gets their hands on the remote. Like, for example, myself while in a music-induced trance. :)

I love that with a couple of clicks of the remote you can add the currently-playing Pandora song to your Pandora favorites, and thereafter you can go to Pandora.com any click on any one of those favorites to buy the album it's on from Amazon.

boerner
2006-04-05, 09:58
This might be dangerous, depending who gets their hands on the remote. Like, for example, myself while in a music-induced trance. :)

I love that with a couple of clicks of the remote you can add the currently-playing Pandora song to your Pandora favorites, and thereafter you can go to Pandora.com any click on any one of those favorites to buy the album it's on from Amazon.

I concur with that statement, but I still would like the feature :-)

One thing I think would be easy to implement is for them to add an option to say "I like this song" AND "Add to my favorites".

abdomen
2006-04-05, 10:16
I concur with that statement, but I still would like the feature :-)

One thing I think would be easy to implement is for them to add an option to say "I like this song" AND "Add to my favorites".
Good point-- my wife suggested that "Add to my favorites" (actually I think they changed the term used for that choice) should also automatically take care of "I like this song". It would be a reasonable inference to say the least, and would save button presses while one is busy liking one's new favorite song. It is a very small point for me, but perhaps someone will end up entering a proposed enhancement like this in Bugzilla.

gobikey
2006-04-05, 16:28
i semi-frequently (approx once in three hours of listening) see this behavior, but only through the squeezebox. i'm fairly certain that it is not due to instability in my DSL connection. i listen to Pandora for much of the day at my office and do not observe the problem. it's not particularly annoying, and i imagine it will be noted by Pandora if it continues to be a problem.

d_anders
2006-04-11, 19:36
I have these problems from time to time too. If you have any type of QoS or other types of Services on your network, this can be a culprit.

Additionally, the firewall services of certain routers (mine included which is a linksys srx400) can cause really strange throughput issues. Just for giggles, temporarily turn off the firewall on your router and see what happens. Then turn it back on...depending on what happens, you may need to open up some ports on your router.

I've also got vonage on my network, and everytime i've tried to improve the performance for vonage, I crap out everything else. What's the fix? I turned off the firewall for a period of time and came to the same conclusion....

e3954
2006-05-21, 08:46
On Mar 9, 2006, at 5:59 PM, jlg84 wrote:

>
> I have noticed that when playing Pandora through my Squeezebox the
> songs
> will occasionally--sometimes often--end abruptly, with the next song
> commencing thereafter as though the song had ended properly. Any idea
> what I can do about this?

I haven't seen this. Are you sure the song isn't supposed to end
where it ends? Many albums have tracks that just run together, and
on Pandora they'll sound like they got cut off.

You say it happens often, so can you share the affected station with
me so I can listen and see if it happens to me? Login at Pandora.com
and click Share -> Email current station to a friend, and then send
it to me at andy (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com.

Thanks,
-Andy

I'm not sure this is the right place to be inserting my comment. This same thing happens to me from time to time and it is a very minor irritation; however, it did it three songs in succession just today. The song started to play, went on for a brief while (a minute or less), stopped abruptly, then started another song, as if I had fast forwarded the first song (which I hadn't, of course). Then it did it again on the next piece of music, and again for the third time. This was about an hour ago; it has been behaving itself since then. I did notice a screen flash on the squeezebox much earlier today before I ever started streaming music. A firmware update gone slightly wrong?

andyg
2006-05-21, 08:53
On May 21, 2006, at 11:46 AM, e3954 wrote:

>
> andyg Wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2006, at 5:59 PM, jlg84 wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I have noticed that when playing Pandora through my Squeezebox the
>>> songs
>>> will occasionally--sometimes often--end abruptly, with the next song
>>> commencing thereafter as though the song had ended properly. Any
>> idea
>>> what I can do about this?
>>
>> I haven't seen this. Are you sure the song isn't supposed to end
>> where it ends? Many albums have tracks that just run together, and
>> on Pandora they'll sound like they got cut off.
>>
>> You say it happens often, so can you share the affected station with
>> me so I can listen and see if it happens to me? Login at Pandora.com
>>
>> and click Share -> Email current station to a friend, and then send
>> it to me at andy (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Andy
>
> I'm not sure this is the right place to be inserting my comment. This
> same thing happens to me from time to time and it is a very minor
> irritation; however, it did it three songs in succession just today.
> The song started to play, went on for a brief while (a minute or
> less),
> stopped abruptly, then started another song, as if I had fast
> forwarded
> the first song (which I hadn't, of course). Then it did it again on
> the next piece of music, and again for the third time. This was about
> an hour ago; it has been behaving itself since then. I did notice a
> screen flash on the squeezebox much earlier today before I ever
> started
> streaming music. A firmware update gone slightly wrong?

Most likely you got disconnected from SN briefly or the SN instance
you were connected to crashed. When it reconnects it will pick a new
Pandora song to play and cause the current song to stop plating. A
fix for this is on my todo list.

mark-e-mark
2006-05-25, 18:19
It used to be once in a while, but today it's frequent. I'm trying to figure out if there are any settings on the wireless router to help. It only happens with Pandora; SB performance is flawless.

crane
2006-06-03, 14:07
I'm new so please excuse me if this should have been a new thread.

In addition to the problems mentioned with songs occasionally ending abruptly I've noticed a couple of other issues.

1) My Squeezebox 3 seems quite sluggish while playing on Pandora (volume doesn't respond on remote or gets stuck on volume display, other controls too).

2) It crashed! Just went completely dark. Nothing worked but unplugging and replugging.

I've just been using it for a day or so... Perhaps it's not specific to Pandora?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Craig

deryl
2006-07-27, 09:05
It used to be once in a while, but today it's frequent. I'm trying to figure out if there are any settings on the wireless router to help. It only happens with Pandora; SB performance is flawless.

I am seeing the same problem, with varying frequency, when I use the Rhapsody service on my Squeezebox. Everything else works fine, but when I listen to Rhapsody streams, the player will often skip to the next track.

If a buffer underrun triggers this action, I'd expect to see similar behavior when playing from my MP3 library, but this never happens in that scenario.

giordajl
2006-08-06, 14:17
In addition to the problems mentioned with songs occasionally ending abruptly I've noticed a couple of other issues.

1) My Squeezebox 3 seems quite sluggish while playing on Pandora (volume doesn't respond on remote or gets stuck on volume display, other controls too).

I have only had mine up and running for a few days, but I am loving it. Especially discovering new tunes with Pandora via Squeezebox. But I, too, am experiencing dropped songs and have also experienced the sluggish response from the Squeezebox when using Pandora.

I want to tell everyone about this product, but maybe it isn't ready for prime time yet?

If solutions are found, please email me directly! Thanks.

Bud_Dude
2006-09-10, 16:20
Like others I am experiencing songs that are cutting out mid-song and jumping right to the next song. Pandora has worked fine for months and months on my two SB2 units. This is a new issue to me. I have not noticed it on direct play on my PC from the Pandora website, but really don't listen to it much. We listen to the SB2 almost constantly. No such problems exist when listening to music from my SlimServer or internet radio stations such as Radioio, Live365, and others. The problem seems to be specific to Pandora when playing through the SB2.

andyg
2006-09-13, 11:43
I have seen this problem as well while working on a rewrite of the Pandora plugin.

The problem is that the Pandora audio server sometimes just drops the streaming connection. There is nothing we can do in this situation except go on to the next track.

Vic @ Pandora
2006-09-13, 12:20
Hey gang, Vic at Pandora here.

This issue appears to be happening a bit more frequently as of late. We have been making some changes in our load balancer and our network lines, which could be causing dropped audio. This is all part of our scaling process to ensure that we can keep up with future bandwidth demands.

I would definitely be curious to hear whether or not the web version of Pandora exhibits the same problem, if it is more frequent during certain parts of the day/week, or if using your squeezebox wired vs. unwired makes a difference.

Please drop us a line at pandora-support@pandora.com with details if you are experiencing this issue. We watch the frequency of these reports very carefully and try to figure out what's going on here.

Thanks!