PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

jonneve
2006-03-09, 10:52
Hi,

What exactly is SqueezeNetwork, and how does it differ from the SqueezeBox?

Thanks!
Jonathan Neve.

snarlydwarf
2006-03-09, 10:55
Squeezenetwork isn't hardware.

Effectively it's a remote SlimServer with links to various online music sources. If you just want to listen to net radio, you can turn your PC off and use SqueezeNetwork. Very useful for people who don't want to leave their server running 24/7.

You need a Squeezebox2 or Squeezebox3 to use it, though I think SoftSqueeze works, too.

jonneve
2006-03-09, 10:58
Squeezenetwork isn't hardware.

Effectively it's a remote SlimServer with links to various online music sources. If you just want to listen to net radio, you can turn your PC off and use SqueezeNetwork. Very useful for people who don't want to leave their server running 24/7.

So, it's a web-based radio service?

You need a Squeezebox2 or Squeezebox3 to use it, though I think SoftSqueeze works, too.

What's SoftSqueeze?

snarlydwarf
2006-03-09, 11:23
Well, radio and a bit more, since you can choose stations from the remote, and add your own stations, alarms, rss newsfeeds, and control it from your Squeezebox. Oh, and if you're in the US, you can use Pandora from it.

Softsqueeze is a java based Squeezebox emulator. It does a reasonable job of pretending to be a hardware squeezebox. It comes with Slimserver. I'm using it right now -- at work, listening to my music from my home server. (And sync'd with the SB in the livingroom for no real reason other than to make it sound like I'm home, I guess.)

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-09, 11:38
SqueezeNetwork has been described as "the big SlimServer in the sky". :-)

It's a series of Linux servers running modified versions of SlimServer.

Obviously since it can't see your SlimServer computer, you don't have access to your music library, but you do have access to any Internet audio stream or RSS feed, plus other content like a repository of sounds (natural sounds, sound effects, and musical) for alarms plus access to the Live Music Archive at http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php All this is available through your local SlimServer as well, except for the alarm sounds.

You also, of course, have Pandora, and that's not available on SlimServer yet.

The advantage is that SqueezeNetwork is running over the Internet so you don't need a local SlimServer running to access all this. It all goes from the Internet through your router directly to your Squeezebox2/3.

Skunk
2006-03-09, 12:19
(And sync'd with the SB in the livingroom for no real reason other than to make it sound like I'm home, I guess.)

Heh. With Netlinx home automation CLI interface you could have:
trip of motion sensor = play dogbarking.wav ..
Very Ferris Bueller.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-09, 15:22
If I'm not mistaken, SqueezeNetwork would be a nifty way to utilize your Squeezebox in a motel room or other remote location where you don't have access to your personal server. All you need is a 'net connection and you're good to go.

Skunk
2006-03-09, 20:39
If I'm not mistaken, SqueezeNetwork would be a nifty way to utilize your Squeezebox in a motel room or other remote location where you don't have access to your personal server. All you need is a 'net connection and you're good to go.

i thought that was called http streaming, not squeezenetwork :p

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770

jonneve
2006-03-10, 02:17
SqueezeNetwork has been described as "the big SlimServer in the sky". :-)

It's a series of Linux servers running modified versions of SlimServer.

Obviously since it can't see your SlimServer computer, you don't have access to your music library, but you do have access to any Internet audio stream or RSS feed, plus other content like a repository of sounds (natural sounds, sound effects, and musical) for alarms plus access to the Live Music Archive at http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php All this is available through your local SlimServer as well, except for the alarm sounds.

You also, of course, have Pandora, and that's not available on SlimServer yet.

The advantage is that SqueezeNetwork is running over the Internet so you don't need a local SlimServer running to access all this. It all goes from the Internet through your router directly to your Squeezebox2/3.

I see, that sounds interesting. So this is basically an internet-based SlimServer providing divers channels and sounds. Nice. Is access to the SqeezeNetwork included with the purchase of a SqueezeBox, or is it something extra?

funkstar
2006-03-10, 08:51
Squeezenetwork is a free service. because you can use it with SoftSqueeze i guess you could use it without buying any hardware at all. SlimDevices also have an agreement with Pandora, there is a subscription fee for using that part of it though. Have a look at the Slimdevices home hape for more information (or any of the threads and stickies on the forums too)

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-10, 11:41
Is access to the SqeezeNetwork included with the purchase of a SqueezeBox, or is it something extra?

You can access SqueezeNetwork at www.squeezenetwork.com, but you need to have a PIN number your Squeezebox will report.

As funkstar indicated, Softsqueeze (a Java Squeezebox software emulator) can generate one as well.