PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where are my music files?

Kyle
2006-03-08, 18:54
I just finished copying a bunch of music files from one external hard drive to another (Windows XP). But the files do not show up on the new hard drive. Some went into existing artist folders, and some were new folders. There's only one folder in the new drive, named FLAC Files. Odd thing is the properties for that folder show it to contain 96.2 gb, while the properties for the drive itself show the drive has 107 gb of used space. I moved 11 gb of music files, so they must be there somewhere, but I can't see them. The drive from which I moved the files if FAT32, while the drive to which I moved them is NTFS. How do I find the missing files?

Khuli
2006-03-09, 02:17
Have you tried doing a search for all files called *.flac ?

It's possible (though bizarre) that they might have been saved as hidden or system files, in which case the default setting for Windows Explorer won't show them - you'll need to change this in the Folder Options setting.

As you say, it looks like they are there somewhere!

Kyle
2006-03-09, 15:46
Apparently, they got corrupted somehow. Some of the folders are there, but when I try to open the folder, it says it cannot open because the file is corrupted or unreadable. It also says it cannot delete the folder for the same reason. Is there any way to get it out of there?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-09, 16:12
Apparently, they got corrupted somehow. Some of the folders are there, but when I try to open the folder, it says it cannot open because the file is corrupted or unreadable. It also says it cannot delete the folder for the same reason. Is there any way to get it out of there?

There are tools out there for repairing damaged files and folders.

A very large selection is at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html

Hope you solve your problem. It really sucks to have this happen!