PDA

View Full Version : I had an idea... Possible to read books on my SB3?

Sam Lowry
2006-03-08, 11:47
After learning about reading RSS feeds on my SB3, I started to wonder if there was a way to make books (from sites like http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/) readable with a Sqeezebox. They have .txt file versions, so the question is, how to get those files into a form readable by the SB. Anybody have an idea?

BTW. I'm not sure I want to read long books in such a way. But it does seem like it would benefit certain disabled people, or could provide something for people to do while waiting in lines, or something. I could read books with the lights off!

Thanks,
SL

JJZolx
2006-03-08, 12:04
After learning about reading RSS feeds on my SB3, I started to wonder if there was a way to make books (from sites like http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/) readable with a Sqeezebox. They have .txt file versions, so the question is, how to get those files into a form readable by the SB. Anybody have an idea?

BTW. I'm not sure I want to read long books in such a way. But it does seem like it would benefit certain disabled people, or could provide something for people to do while waiting in lines, or something. I could read books with the lights off!
Waiting in lines with a Squeezebox? I don't get it.

I'm not sure it's even been established that there's much of a demand from people to read books on computers, yet alone a two or three line device that can display maybe 100 characters at a time.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-08, 13:48
the question is, how to get those files into a form readable by the SB. Anybody have an idea?

I can think of a couple of ways to do it. You could create a local web page with an RSS feed.

Or just take a nice instrumental audio file that would be good to play in the background as you read, and save the txt as an embedded comment. You could even have a different audio file containing each chapter if you wanted to.

tom permutt
2006-03-08, 14:15
I take it you are thinking of having the books "read aloud," rather than scrolled on the SqueezeBox display. If so, yes, there is active work on "text-to-speech" programs, both commercially and in the free software community. Once you know that "text-to-speech" is the accepted jargon, you should have no trouble finding information on it.

And, of course, there are several sources of recordings of human beings reading books. Some are in formats that can be easily transcoded to something SqueezeBox will play, others less so.

Sam Lowry
2006-03-08, 14:40
I take it you are thinking of having the books "read aloud," rather than scrolled on the SqueezeBox display. If so, yes, there is active work on "text-to-speech" programs, both commercially and in the free software community. Once you know that "text-to-speech" is the accepted jargon, you should have no trouble finding information on it.

And, of course, there are several sources of recordings of human beings reading books. Some are in formats that can be easily transcoded to something SqueezeBox will play, others less so.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I would like to see the text scrolled on the display. I thought maybe if there was a way to convert .txt files into RSS feeds, that might work. Haven't found a way to do that.

And to respond to the other poster, I was envisioning a Squeezebox in a waiting room, not portable (though that would be cool).
-SL

tom permutt
2006-03-08, 19:35
Ah. Well, then, I agree with the others. The interface to scroll whatever you like seems to be well documented, whether by RSS or otherwise, but the device is not really optimized for such an application.