PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver - multiple music folders possible?

mwoodroof
2006-03-08, 10:01
Hi again, I know I seem to be going for a record for the highest number of newbie questions posted in a week, but please forgive me. I even tried to search the forums for "slimserver multiple music folders" but it won't return any searches at the moment (glitch in the forum? it has done this to me before!)

This question should be very simple - is there any way to set up slimserver to scan more than one folder for your music collection. When I have all my CDs ripped to FLAC I think I am going to have to spread them across to hard disks. I can't see any way of doing this in "server settings". Surely it must be possible somehow?

aubuti
2006-03-08, 10:03
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToOrganising

mwoodroof
2006-03-08, 10:05
Thanks!!! Now that is what I call service.

So all I do is put a shortcut to the folder on the 2nd drive in the main folder that slimserver is set to scan... simple!

Will try soon...

EDIT:
Or do I have to point Slimserver at a directory just full of shortcuts to my actual directories?

Siduhe
2006-03-08, 10:23
Thanks!!! Now that is what I call service.

So all I do is put a shortcut to the folder on the 2nd drive in the main folder that slimserver is set to scan... simple!

Will try soon...

EDIT:
Or do I have to point Slimserver at a directory just full of shortcuts to my actual directories?

Either should work fine if you just have two directories.

I seem to recall there was an issue if you had lots of directories in different places where it was better to create a single top level directory and put shortcuts only in that directory. Not sure if this was a temporary bug though.

abscissa
2006-03-08, 14:05
I have two different music directories: Lossless and Lossy all under my main Music directory. I store my lossless music in my Lossless folder and created a shortcut to my mp3 folder under Lossy. For some reason SlimServer is not scanning for any music in my mp3 folder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

mwoodroof
2006-03-08, 14:35
Not sure as I haven't tried myself yet, but maybe the shortcut needs to be in the top level of the main directory not in a sub directory?

abscissa
2006-03-08, 14:50
I tried that as well but it doesn't appear to be working. :(

mwoodroof
2006-03-08, 15:20
Have you tried what was suggested earlier in this post - have a folder which just contains shortcuts to your actual folders and point Slimserver at that?

Also, do make sure you are doing a "clear library and full rescan" when updating slimservers library, not just a "new and changed" update as that caught me out!

Hope this helps, otherwise can't add any more until I try multiple folders myself!

abscissa
2006-03-08, 21:04
I followed the directions provided in the link below and it now recognizes my music on another hard drive.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume

Here's what I think happend: for whatever reason my music directory is associated to my user account on my computer which makes it inaccessible to anyone else. If SlimServer is run as a Windows service then it does not have permission to access that folder. Changing SlimServer as a user would fix the problem.

Hopefully this will help the next person who runs into the same problem I do.

Some keywords for future reference: multiple directories, multiple folders