PDA

View Full Version : SB2 + ssh-tunnel

elo
2006-03-08, 09:56
Any chance my SB2, in the future, be able to ssh-tunnel to my SlimServer... like SoftSqueeze does, but without the laptop. It would kinda be like my own personal SlimNetwork.

Why?: Vacation. I'm not allowed to bring a laptop on vacation. In fear of getting any work done. But I would love to access my music collection in full flac-quality (if network available). Portable players just don't meet the requirments.

The SB2 already has a tcp-stack... that's half way there. I guess the decryption-requirments may out-do the available horsepower on the unit.

Anyways, just an idea.

m1abrams
2006-03-08, 11:42
If they do attack this I would strongly recommend they try to have some way of storing the ssh private key in the SB. Maybe in a firmware load or something.

However seeing as how little this feature would be used, I would not expect to see it high on the development list.

A solution for the orignal poster would be maybe get a linksys router that you can load a hacked firmware on. Get two. Then you can setup VPN between the two routers. Then when you go on vacation just bring the SB and one of the routers and have the routers create the VPN network for you

fuzzyT
2006-03-08, 12:35
elo wrote:

> Why?: Vacation. I'm not allowed to bring a laptop on vacation.

Answer: Nokia 770 + SSH client + SS 770 skin + streaming media player.

and you might want to bring along one of those travel sized wireless APs.

--rt

MrC
2006-03-08, 12:37
Any chance my SB2, in the future, be able to ssh-tunnel to my SlimServer... like SoftSqueeze does, but without the laptop. It would kinda be like my own personal SlimNetwork.

Why?: Vacation. I'm not allowed to bring a laptop on vacation. In fear of getting any work done. But I would love to access my music collection in full flac-quality (if network available). Portable players just don't meet the requirments.

It is highly unlikely you would be able to stream flac via your internet connection at home to some random vacation spot, and that probability drops with an SSH encrypted tunnel added to the mix.

The SB2 already has a tcp-stack... that's half way there. I guess the decryption-requirments may out-do the available horsepower on the unit.

I think you underestimate the requirements.

Mr. M1abrams' suggestion is an excellent one - get VPN-capable (not just VPN passthru) router to create your own encrypted session, and let the SlimDevices boys focus on streaming quality music.

No matter what your encryption, you'll find that you will likely need to limit your sreaming bandwidth.

rudholm
2006-03-08, 23:11
It is highly unlikely you would be able to stream flac via your internet connection at home to some random vacation spot, and that probability drops with an SSH encrypted tunnel added to the mix.

I think you underestimate the requirements.

Mr. M1abrams' suggestion is an excellent one - get VPN-capable (not just VPN passthru) router to create your own encrypted session, and let the SlimDevices boys focus on streaming quality music.

No matter what your encryption, you'll find that you will likely need to limit your sreaming bandwidth.

My slimserver is not in my house. My Squeezeboxes (a 2 and a 3) access the slimserver via OpenVPN. I don't have any problems playing FLAC files without limiting bitrates. My Internet connection is a 3Mb/256kb cable modem. I can even use both SBs simultaneously. FLAC files tend to be about 800-900kbps so this isn't really surprising.

The only tip I have to offer for anyone using OpenVPN is to disable the default compression. It will profit you nothing and cost CPU and latency.

m1abrams
2006-03-09, 04:41
What is the bandwidth of the connection serving the FLAC files?

If it is also only 3mb/256k then I do not see how you could stream 900kb FLAC over it.

radish
2006-03-09, 07:00
If it is also only 3mb/256k then I do not see how you could stream 900kb FLAC over it.

Why not?

*this is for the benefit of the short message filter*

m1abrams
2006-03-09, 07:19
Why not?

*this is for the benefit of the short message filter*

Because 900k is greater than 256k. On the server side the upload rate is the limiting factor.

radish
2006-03-09, 08:01
Apologies - I didn't notice the "also" in your original post.

I had assumed the server was in a colo and so had decent upstream. The 3mb/256k connection is in his home, thus he's using the downstream (3mb) to stream the FLACs.

elo
2006-03-09, 08:32
Thanks, All, for the suggestions.

m1abrams
2006-03-09, 09:04
Apologies - I didn't notice the "also" in your original post.

I had assumed the server was in a colo and so had decent upstream. The 3mb/256k connection is in his home, thus he's using the downstream (3mb) to stream the FLACs.

I would be so impressed by the person who has enough music to justify the cost to colo their collection.

rudholm
2006-03-09, 12:52
What is the bandwidth of the connection serving the FLAC files?

That would be a pretty poor place to put a server that had to talk to things off the LAN.

My server is in a commercial datacenter and is limited by its 100Mb/sec local Ethernet connection.

m1abrams
2006-03-09, 12:56
That would be a pretty poor place to put a server that had to talk to things off the LAN.

My server is in a commercial datacenter and is limited by its 100Mb/sec local Ethernet connection.

Well since you did not say what bandwidth the server had, I had no other assumption to work with. I would hazard to guess MOST slim users do not colo their slimserver at a datacenter with a nice fat pipe.

Do you mind me asking why you do that? Does your slimserver function a business need?

rudholm
2006-03-09, 13:28
Well since you did not say what bandwidth the server had, I had no other assumption to work with. I would hazard to guess MOST slim users do not colo their slimserver at a datacenter with a nice fat pipe.

Do you mind me asking why you do that? Does your slimserver function a business need?

No business need. The server serves a number of purposes in addition to slimserver including; DNS, email, http, VPN, PBX, silcnet, file server, persistent VNC and 'screen' contexts, etc, etc. But all of these are personal things, not business-related. I co-located the server because none of these things would really work well if I tried to run them from home.

As I mentioned, FLAC files play just fine even with the server being remote, so there was no real drawback and many advantages to this setup.

MrC
2006-03-09, 16:59

Hmmm, remotely aren't you limited by all the downstream routers and final ISP? My point earlier, since your request was really about SSH support so that you can stream FLAC whilst on vacation, was that most vacation destinations (hotels, hotspots, etc.) or WLAN would have a difficult time delivering sustained 800+Kbps per user.

rudholm
2006-03-09, 19:16
Hmmm, remotely aren't you limited by all the downstream routers and final ISP? My point earlier, since your request was really about SSH support so that you can stream FLAC whilst on vacation, was that most vacation destinations (hotels, hotspots, etc.) or WLAN would have a difficult time delivering sustained 800+Kbps per user.

Oh, the original question about using SSH tunnels was from another poster. A responder suggested solving the problem with a VPN, so I offered my configuration as a working example of slimservice over VPN from a far-away slimserver.

I've accessed my slimserver from various places; work, parents' house, friends' houses, even over Verizon's EVDO network and was able to use uncompressed FLAC in all cases except EVDO (where I had to turn the bitrate down to <=128 kbps). Slimserver uses http to stream music data, which is nice because it's relatively low overhead.

I agree with your point though, that you do need a decent broadband connection for this to work without bitrate limiting.

Since the SB doesn't support ssh directly, an ssh tunnel would require a laptop, which is apparently vacation contraband for the original poster...

m1abrams
2006-03-10, 05:50
Oh, the original question about using SSH tunnels was from another poster. A responder suggested solving the problem with a VPN, so I offered my configuration as a working example of slimservice over VPN from a far-away slimserver.

I've accessed my slimserver from various places; work, parents' house, friends' houses, even over Verizon's EVDO network and was able to use uncompressed FLAC in all cases except EVDO (where I had to turn the bitrate down to <=128 kbps). Slimserver uses http to stream music data, which is nice because it's relatively low overhead.

I agree with your point though, that you do need a decent broadband connection for this to work without bitrate limiting.

Since the SB doesn't support ssh directly, an ssh tunnel would require a laptop, which is apparently vacation contraband for the original poster...

Slim does not use http to stream music to the slimdevice clients. And I would not call http "low overhead" since it is TCP and TCP has a good bit of overhead native to it. Slim I believe uses its own custom TCP protocol to stream music to the clients.

Jacob Potter
2006-03-10, 08:22
On 3/10/06, m1abrams
<m1abrams.24gfln1141995301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Slim does not use http to stream music to the slimdevice clients. And
> I would not call http "low overhead" since it is TCP and TCP has a good
> bit of overhead native to it. Slim I believe uses its own custom TCP
> protocol to stream music to the clients.

All the Squeeezeboxes use a custom TCP protocol (port 3483) for
control, but the actual audio data comes over HTTP on port 9000. You
might be thinking of the old SLIMP3, which does both control and audio
over UDP.

- Jacob

m1abrams
2006-03-10, 09:02
On 3/10/06, m1abrams
<m1abrams.24gfln1141995301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Slim does not use http to stream music to the slimdevice clients. And
> I would not call http "low overhead" since it is TCP and TCP has a good
> bit of overhead native to it. Slim I believe uses its own custom TCP
> protocol to stream music to the clients.

All the Squeeezeboxes use a custom TCP protocol (port 3483) for
control, but the actual audio data comes over HTTP on port 9000. You
might be thinking of the old SLIMP3, which does both control and audio
over UDP.

- Jacob

Hmm see I thought it was the other way around. Control was over 9000 via http and the data was over a custom TCP on port 3483. I guess I was wrong.