PDA

View Full Version : Podcast or Podcasts

barcar
2006-03-07, 13:12
I subscribe to some iTunes Podcasts with (surprise, surprise) a genre of "Podcast".

When SlimServer 6.2 scans my library some tracks are listed under the "Podcasts" (plural) genre and some under "Podcast".

Looking at the raw tags on the files, they seem to be tagged "Podcast".

Anybody got any idea why this might happen?

Thanks.

kdf
2006-03-07, 13:35
Quoting barcar <barcar.24bfyz1141762502 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I subscribe to some iTunes Podcasts with (surprise, surprise) a genre of
> "Podcast".

not all iTunes podcasts mark the genre as "podcast"

> When SlimServer 6.2 scans my library some tracks are listed under the
> "Podcasts" (plural) genre and some under "Podcast".

the iTunes scan adds a specific "podcasts" genre to all tracks found
in the "podcasts" iTunes playlist. As each track can have multiple
genres, this allows teh server to provide an "iTunes Podcasts" menu
item that searches for those items and provides them as an instant
listing.

-k

barcar
2006-03-07, 14:45
Thanks for the quick response kdf.

not all iTunes podcasts mark the genre as "podcast"

I've just checked the tracks in question and all seem to show in iTunes with genre "podcast".

the iTunes scan adds a specific "podcasts" genre to all tracks found in the "podcasts" iTunes playlist. As each track can have multiple genres, this allows teh server to provide an "iTunes Podcasts" menu item that searches for those items and provides them as an instant listing.

I ran the following SQL against my slimserver database:

SELECT distinct t.title, g.name
FROM tracks t
LEFT JOIN genre_track gt ON t.id = gt.track
LEFT JOIN genres g ON gt.genre = g.id
where g.name like 'Pod%'
order by t.title, g.name

And it returns a list of tracks with either "podcast" or "podcasts" genres but none with both.

kdf
2006-03-07, 15:24
I've just checked the tracks in question and all seem to show in iTunes with genre "podcast".
ok. That is entirely possible. But, your subscribed podcasts does not mean every single podcast that iTunes makes available. When the feature was created, 6 test podcasts, 3 were non-"podcast" genre. They ARE however, listed as an iTunes playlist. Until, of course, Apple goes and changes the xml format yet again.

I ran the following SQL against my slimserver database:

And it returns a list of tracks with either "podcast" or "podcasts" genres but none with both.

Check Plugins/iTunes, handlePlaylist(). Please feel free to submit a patch that you feel will better please everyone.

-kdf