PDA

View Full Version : Why is rescan playlists taking so long?

dborn
2006-03-07, 08:03
Hi,

I'm working on a Perl script to copy MusicMagic generated playlists from my WinXP PC to be copied and converted to a Linux SlimServer-like playlist. Once the playlist is generated, my script will notice it, convert it and copy it in the proper directory for the slimserver and then it requests the slimserver to rescan the playlist folder through the CLI interface.

My music collection is large (~17000 tracks) but my playlist directory contains 1 test playlist of 10 songs and yet, slimserver will be busy rescanning the playlist folder for several minutes (10 or more?).

It seems it might be scanning more than just the playlist folder. is this normal and if so, why?

Is there a better way to get that new/modified playlist into the slimserver (using the CLI interface from within my script)?

I'm running a 6.2.2 nightly from about a week ago.

Thanks,
Daniel

dborn
2006-03-07, 17:44
Also,

I know there is a way for SlimServer to use MusicMagic directly from the Squeezebox but is there a way to specify that the MusicMagic server is actually located on a different box? (such as SS on Linkstation and MMM on a WinXP PC?)

Thanks,
Daniel

Fred
2006-03-07, 17:55
Is there a better way to get that new/modified playlist into the slimserver (using the CLI interface from within my script)?

I guess you could try building the playlist on a player (without playing it) and then save it.

HTH

Fred

agentsmith
2006-03-07, 18:01
I have been having similar problems with slow and sometimes unreliable scans.

Re-Scanning is generally slow for me since I access the drive from an NAS.

However I delete and rescan everytime I add songs because often times the scan only (no delete) option do not register the changes.

It would be really helpful if there is a counter/indicator that shows how many songs are read, how many changed and how many added etc. Or something like a % indicator. Also would be helpful if it shows where it is reading the data from Etc.

I remember in the non GUI days, I see exactly what is going on with from the command line.

dborn
2006-03-07, 20:22
Resanning everything is understandably slow in my case but doing a "rescan playlists" should take only seconds with a single playlist of 10 songs...?

dborn
2006-03-07, 20:26
I guess you could try building the playlist on a player (without playing it) and then save it.

HTH

Fred

Yes but that would be no fun... The whole idea is to let MusicMagic generate a mix and, within a few clicks and a few seconds, have this playlist playing on my SB2...

Siduhe
2006-03-08, 03:47
Resanning everything is understandably slow in my case but doing a "rescan playlists" should take only seconds with a single playlist of 10 songs...?

Yes, AFAIK it should take under a minute. Have you tried enabling the d_scan debugging output and running a "playlists only" rescan ? If you look at the log output, this may give you an idea of why it's taking so long. It may be that there's a file reference that Slimserver doesn't like. I used to have problems with playlists because they were created with "T:My Music/filename" whereas SS wants to see "//usr/My Music/filename".

You can also zip the output file up and post it here and others can advise.

dborn
2006-03-08, 08:02
Good suggestion, thanks!

I see that the rescan starts at 09:44:15 and ends at 09:44:27 so a total of 12 seconds...

However SlimServer is still doing something (not showing in the d_scan log). Then at 09:52:20 it seems it started scanning my playlists once again until 09:52:25.

At 09:58, the web interface is still showing "SlimServer is still scanning your music library..." (even after doing refreshes).

At 09:59 the web interface returns to normal and no additionnal debugs were seen in the log file.

Strange.

Thanks,
Daniel

JJZolx
2006-03-08, 14:13
Whatever happened to Slim Devices participation in these forums? Anyway...

Are you using the MusicMagic plugin? If so, do you _need_ to if you take your approach to integrating the playlists into SlimServer? I don't use Music Magic or the plugin, so this is just speculation, but maybe you're triggering SlimServer to do some kind of MusicMagic synch.

dborn
2006-03-08, 18:49
I'd LOVE to use the MusicMagic plugin but unfortunately they don't have a version that runs on my Linkstation (only x86) so I have to use the MusicMagic Mixer on my WinXP PC, save the playlist on my Linkstation in a Samba share. Then I have a Perl script that checks every 30 seconds for new/modified playlists. If it finds some, it will copy the playlist in the proper slimserver playlist folder and converts the windows "M:\folder\file.mp3" format into "/mnt/music/folder/file.mp3" format and then my script uses the SlimServer CLI to trigger a "rescan playlists". Which seems to take way too long to complete considering that the playlist folder only has 1 playlist containing 10 songs...

Thanks,
Daniel