PDA

View Full Version : New Message Board



John Quirk
2003-11-11, 04:48
Hi all,

I notice in the deluge of emails I got over the weekend from this list that
people have been sharing their thoughts on it. My two penneth (=10c) is that
an email based list is a bit limited in these web days. I would have
preferred something YABB-ish, it's a pain to have to wait at lease a day to
get a reply to anything you've posted in the daily digest. Having said that
I hated the Yahoo! Group and have never understood why anyone would use them
when running something through a message board provider (proboards.com) is
just as easy and a lot more elegant. I suppose we'll have to suck it and
see.



JQ

Mikko =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4nninen?=
2003-11-11, 10:37
Frank <FIR (AT) frank (DOT) net> wrote on Tue, 11 Nov 2003:
> I, on the other hand, greatly prefer email delivery to any web based system.
> I am subscribed to 30+ mailing lists. Who has time to go one at a time to
> thirty different web sites multiple times each day to check for new
> messages?

Agreed, and exactly for the same reason.

It seems web boards are the trend now, and they are easier to access
for random people of course, but I think for regular users mailing lists
work much better.

Of course, there's no (technical) reason why one couldn't combine the
two functions and leave the access method up to the subscriber, which
is what YahooGroups attempts to do, in a way... Just could be done a
whole lot better on the web side (but I do like their system, except
for the spam and ads).

Hopefully the web-archive of this list will be well implemented (I
haven't checked, and don't even know if one is available yet).


Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu // sig (AT) wizzu (DOT) com // http://www.wizzu.com/
// The Corrs list maintainer // net.freak // DALnet IRC operator/
// Interests: roleplaying, Linux, the Net, fantasy & scifi, the Corrs/
This sentence contains ten words, eighteen syllables, and sixty-four letters.

Nicolas Guillemain
2003-11-11, 13:17
Le 11/11/2003 à 19:00:02, Sean Adams écrivait :

> Mikko, archives are available:
>
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/
>
> I'll be adding a search facility soon.
>
> Personally I think the threading and sorting of archived messages could
> use a little work too...

Sean, while you're at it, how about using a bigger font? Reading the
archives on my 21" monitor requires a good amount of squinting...:-)

Be seeing you,
Nicolas
--
http://www.grenouille.com - la météo du net

Jack Coates
2003-11-11, 13:45
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 12:17, Nicolas Guillemain wrote:
> Le 11/11/2003 à 19:00:02, Sean Adams écrivait :
>
> > Mikko, archives are available:
> >
> > http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/
> >
> > I'll be adding a search facility soon.
> >
> > Personally I think the threading and sorting of archived messages could
> > use a little work too...
>
> Sean, while you're at it, how about using a bigger font? Reading the
> archives on my 21" monitor requires a good amount of squinting...:-)
>
> Be seeing you,
> Nicolas

Mozilla > Edit Preferences > Advanced > Mouse Wheel, pick a modifier and
associate it with "make text larger or smaller.

I think IE has something similar?
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...

Diego Zamboni
2003-11-12, 07:31
> Hopefully the web-archive of this list will be well implemented (I
> haven't checked, and don't even know if one is available yet).

A good solution might be to add the list to http://gmane.org/, they have
nice view and search features.

--Diego

dean
2003-11-12, 08:41
We'll be turning gmane support soon.

-dean

On Nov 12, 2003, at 6:31 AM, Diego Zamboni wrote:

>
>> Hopefully the web-archive of this list will be well implemented (I
>> haven't checked, and don't even know if one is available yet).
>
> A good solution might be to add the list to http://gmane.org/, they
> have
> nice view and search features.
>
> --Diego
>
>
>

Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D.
2003-11-12, 12:39
Kevin, Dean,

Was just wondering if it was at all possible to change the 'Discuss'
that gets prepended to message subjects to something more detailed. Many
people are on a lot of mailing lists, and 'Discuss' is very generic...
maybe 'SlimDiscuss' or 'SP3-Discuss' or anything, really, that gives a
reader more of an idea what to expect with just a glance.

Thanks!
rjw

Ron Thigpen
2003-11-12, 13:26
Robert J. Wygand, III, Esq., D. D. wrote:

> Was just wondering if it was at all possible to change the 'Discuss'
> that gets prepended to message subjects to something more detailed. Many
> people are on a lot of mailing lists, and 'Discuss' is very generic...

or for consistency's sake, why not stick with [slimp3-users]?

i love the change to private e-mail listserv BTW. fast, efficient and
spam free. yip!

--rt

Rob Studdert
2003-11-12, 17:53
On 12 Nov 2003 at 12:43, Jeff Shanholtz wrote:

> Actually, I'd rather see nothing. It just clutters up the message line to
> me. If you just filter the messages into its own folder in your mail client,
> then there is no benefit to seeing [slim].

IMHO any prefix is just clutter on the subject line. All of the other email
lists to which I subscribe (mature lists 5+ years old) either provide a
subscription option which precludes the subject prefix or they have just
dropped it all together.

They also truncate nested "RE:" or "SV:" so that simple subject lines don't
start getting out of control like "RE: [slim] New Message Board"

Cheers,

Rob