PDA

View Full Version : Forum suggestion

DrNic
2006-03-07, 07:57
Greetings all
What would users of this forum think to the ability to add a "fixed" line to a topic/thread??
We see lots of thread saying things like "Can't connect to slimserver" "Can't save playlists" etc etc and if you go through (the sometimes many pages) the thread you find the problem has been rectified..
Now, I remember seeing on another forum (sorry can't remember which one though!) threads that have had a conclusion marked with the "answer" to the original post, this answer linking to the post that states the solution.

Would this be desirable/possible on this forum?
It would be good particularly for the Beginners forum...

Nic

bklaas
2006-03-07, 08:11
I second that motion.

the gentoo users forum does that (it uses the same underlying software for the forums), and it's very very helpful.

#!/ben

andyg
2006-03-07, 08:17
I think all you need to do is have the original poster edit the title of the thread (or an admin).

DrNic
2006-03-07, 08:25
I think all you need to do is have the original poster edit the title of the thread (or an admin).

I think, therein, lies the rub!...

Admins probably don't have the time to do this, and the original poster may not find this intuitive, or even realise this should be done without it being specified as a rule of the board..
I wonder whether Ben might help me out here, but I think the other board just had a "select this as the answer to my problem" type of control for the original poster...

Nic

See here for a classic example... :) http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21771

bklaas
2006-03-07, 08:38
I dinked around Gentoo's forum pages to see if I could figure out if there was such a feature, but it doesn't look like there is.

I think the users there just have a culture of marking threads with a prepended [solved] when they have a solution. I think the chances of developing that culture here are, pardon the pun, slim.

cheers,
#!/ben

DrNic
2006-03-07, 08:59
I dinked around Gentoo's forum pages to see if I could figure out if there was such a feature, but it doesn't look like there is.

I think the users there just have a culture of marking threads with a prepended [solved] when they have a solution. I think the chances of developing that culture here are, pardon the pun, slim.

cheers,
#!/ben

The macromedia forum (now under Adobe) has the ability - took a bit of searching!! ( http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=189&threadid=1122853&enterthread=y )
Though I guess this will be moot point anyway!!

Nic