PDA

View Full Version : Correcting wrong artwork

brookheather
2006-03-06, 06:57
I noticed that the artwork for one of my albums (Fat Boy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry) has the wrong artwork displayed in SlimServer (it actually shows Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons). Where does SlimServer retrieve the artwork from and how can I get it corrected or add additional albums?

I have managed to override the artwork by placing the correct picture in cover.jpg in the music folder. When I updated the music files with the artwork (e.g. using iTunes) then the correct picture is displayed when viewing the album but not the thumnail in view artwork page. If there is artwork stored in the music file then surely it should use that instead?

- Simon.

NWP
2006-03-06, 08:15
I'm not sure how slimserver selects the artwork it uses. I've had problems with it showing the wrong image too and I have no idea where it is getting the image.

For downloading cover art and storing it in the tag, I like this program:

http://kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/

jwylot
2006-03-06, 08:36
I noticed that the artwork for one of my albums (Fat Boy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry) has the wrong artwork displayed in SlimServer (it actually shows Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons). Where does SlimServer retrieve the artwork from and how can I get it corrected or add additional albums?

I have managed to override the artwork by placing the correct picture in cover.jpg in the music folder. When I updated the music files with the artwork (e.g. using iTunes) then the correct picture is displayed when viewing the album but not the thumnail in view artwork page. If there is artwork stored in the music file then surely it should use that instead?

- Simon.

A quick test tells me that slimserver checks the tag first and only looks for cover.jpg if no artwork is stored in the tag. Have you actually checked that the correct cover is stored in your tags?

brookheather
2006-03-06, 09:17
A quick test tells me that slimserver checks the tag first and only looks for cover.jpg if no artwork is stored in the tag. Have you actually checked that the correct cover is stored in your tags?

Yes it showed the correct artwork when I clicked on the (wrong) thumnail. I have now upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.5.11 and this seems to be working in that it uses the images from the music files in preferences to its mysterious source.

- Simon.

brookheather
2006-03-06, 09:28
I'm not sure how slimserver selects the artwork it uses. I've had problems with it showing the wrong image too and I have no idea where it is getting the image.

For downloading cover art and storing it in the tag, I like this program:

http://kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/

Nice program - it looks like it just puts the selected image in the directory as folder.jpg but there is no option to actually apply the image to the MP3 files for display on a video iPod?

- Simon.

moby_uk
2006-03-06, 10:02
FYI - just found a wiki on how slimserver deals with album art: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AlbumArtwork

NWP
2006-03-06, 11:01
Nice program - it looks like it just puts the selected image in the directory as folder.jpg but there is no option to actually apply the image to the MP3 files for display on a video iPod?

- Simon.

I think it is putting it in the MP3 file too, but I'm not absolutely positive.

The reason I think this is that if you double click the album, it expands the songs below it and you can have diferent images for each song. Also, if you change the artwork, it takes a few seconds to write the change. It seems to be writing them into the MP3 files one at a time.

JJZolx
2006-03-06, 12:32
Yes it showed the correct artwork when I clicked on the (wrong) thumnail. I have now upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.5.11 and this seems to be working in that it uses the images from the music files in preferences to its mysterious source.
You pretty much have to do a complete library rescan ("Clear library and rescan everything") as SlimServer only populates the database with an album's artwork when it does a scan. Display of the thumbnailed images use the database to find the artwork file, but for some reason the album information page does not use the library, instead searching again for a file. Which is all very confusing.

Your upgrading to 6.5 caused SlimServer to rescan the library, since there were some changes to the database structure. That's how it picked up the changed artwork.

brookheather
2006-03-07, 12:21
I think it is putting it in the MP3 file too, but I'm not absolutely positive.

The reason I think this is that if you double click the album, it expands the songs below it and you can have diferent images for each song. Also, if you change the artwork, it takes a few seconds to write the change. It seems to be writing them into the MP3 files one at a time.

Yes I've confirmed it writes the artwork to MP3 (and FLAC I think) files but not AAC (.m4a) files which is a shame - maybe this will be fixed in a later release.

- Simon.

heinkraanen
2006-03-08, 08:57
Hi People,

Many frustrations later I found how to solve the issue with adding or correcting the artwork. I just google on the picture I want, and save this as thumb.jpg, album.jpg, cover.jpg and folder.jpg in the specific music or albumfolder. Sometime it says that for example folder.jpg already exists. The funny thing one doesn't see this file. But...... if you have Nero, you can see those already existing file(s), i.e. AlbumArt__Large.jpg or AlbumArt__Small, AlbumArtSmall.jpg or Folder.jpg. Just rename those and then save the picture you want via windows explorer as thumb.jpg, album.jpg, cover.jpg and folder.jpg. Sometimes those files have a name with a numberstring. Change this name and copy the name to the right file.

Finally rescan your whole slimserver library.

Good Luck,

Hein

PS I'm not sure if you need als the files thumb, folder, cover and album. But at least the cover show up in all menus now.

- Simon.

JJZolx
2006-03-08, 11:50
Many frustrations later I found how to solve the issue with adding or correcting the artwork. I just google on the picture I want, and save this as thumb.jpg, album.jpg, cover.jpg and folder.jpg in the specific music or albumfolder. Sometime it says that for example folder.jpg already exists. The funny thing one doesn't see this file. But...... if you have Nero, you can see those already existing file(s), i.e. AlbumArt__Large.jpg or AlbumArt__Small, AlbumArtSmall.jpg or Folder.jpg. Just rename those and then save the picture you want via windows explorer as thumb.jpg, album.jpg, cover.jpg and folder.jpg. Sometimes those files have a name with a numberstring. Change this name and copy the name to the right file.

Finally rescan your whole slimserver library.

Good Luck,

Hein

PS I'm not sure if you need als the files thumb, folder, cover and album. But at least the cover show up in all menus now.
You should only need to have a single file for cover art. I've just always named mine 'cover.jpg' and SlimServer sees 99% of them. Every once in a while it misses one or two, but they always show up on a later rescan.

Something is seriously screwed up on your system if you have to go through 1/10th as much work as all that. Where did all those other files come from? Were those names that you were using previously to save images, or did you run some program to download artwork? Were they (for some reason) hidden files?

MrC
2006-03-08, 12:21
Hi People,
Sometime it says that for example folder.jpg already exists. The funny thing one doesn't see this file. But...... if you have Nero, you can see those already existing file(s), i.e. AlbumArt__Large.jpg or AlbumArt__Small, AlbumArtSmall.jpg or Folder.jpg. Just rename those and then save the picture you want via windows explorer as thumb.jpg, album.jpg, cover.jpg and folder.jpg. Sometimes those files have a name with a numberstring. Change this name and copy the name to the right file.

Hello Person,

These files are created by Windows for its various thumbnail views. By default, Windows does not show you these files. You can change your Folders Options control panel settings to enable seeing them. View tab, Advanced Settings:

select "Show hidden files and folders"
deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"
deselect "Hide protected operating system files"

and Apply.

Then, all the hidden windows thumbnails will be visible. The IDs you see are used by Windows Media Player.