PDA

View Full Version : slimserver vs. Windows Share

rcrh
2006-03-05, 13:18
I'm sure this is a VERY noob question, but...

I have my entire MP3 collection on an XP desktop and have been accessing it using a Compaq iPaq PPC and a software package called PocketPlayer. Until recently I had simply used a shared folder on the XP box and pointed PocketPlayer to the folder across my network.

This worked fine for about 80% of my music collection. But, most of my newer mp3's have been encoded using a relatively high VBR rate. None of these songs would play without skipping, stuttering, and burbing.

Today I found and installed slimserver and now the same songs play just fine.

Can anyone explain what bit of digital magic slimserver is performing to get these songs to stream without stutter?

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

radish
2006-03-05, 15:36
A couple of things come to mind. Firstly, the network protocols are different (SMB vs HTTP) - it's possible one works better in your particular circumstances. Secondly, depending on your settings it's possible SlimServer is transcoding your mp3s back down to a lower bitrate.

rudholm
2006-03-05, 15:42
I'm sure this is a VERY noob question, but...

I have my entire MP3 collection on an XP desktop and have been accessing it using a Compaq iPaq PPC and a software package called PocketPlayer. Until recently I had simply used a shared folder on the XP box and pointed PocketPlayer to the folder across my network.

This worked fine for about 80% of my music collection. But, most of my newer mp3's have been encoded using a relatively high VBR rate. None of these songs would play without skipping, stuttering, and burbing.

Today I found and installed slimserver and now the same songs play just fine.

Can anyone explain what bit of digital magic slimserver is performing to get these songs to stream without stutter?

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

I think CIFS (Window's native filesharing protocol) might not be as efficient or unidirectional as a simple http stream. My slimserver is actually running on a server I have co-located at a commercial datacenter. The Squeezeboxes in my house can play FLAC files off of it just fine but CIFS clients in my house cannot. NFS clients seem to work fine too, so I suspect CIFS is just a little bit of a network hog.

So it's probably the extra overhead of CIFS pushing you over the limit of your network.