PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Slimserver on a Mac Mini?

agentsmith
2006-03-05, 06:40
The Mac Mini is looking more and more attractive.

Is anyone, especially Windows users, running Slimserver on a Mac Mini?

Is there a dummies guide for running Slim Server on a Mac Mini?

e3954
2006-03-05, 08:43
The Mac Mini is looking more and more attractive.

Is anyone, especially Windows users, running Slimserver on a Mac Mini?

Is there a dummies guide for running Slim Server on a Mac Mini?
I am using a Mac Mini, although relatively recently (since yesterday). I actually started using it out of desperation: I'm a brand new squeezebox owner in the UK and I could not get into the slim server using my PC. I switched to the Mac, entered the exceptions on the firewall and I was in. I've had no problems since then other than I can't get into the squeezenetwork on either computer. Anybody else had problems getting into squeezenetwork?

kanoot
2006-03-05, 11:15
I use a mac mini exclusively for slimserver (in conjunction with itunes). I haven't had any problems except with the AlienBBC plugin but I'm still trying to work through those issues. Its a great (and inexpensive) way to have a dedicated slimserver. For what its worth I am using one of the g4's with 512GB RAM. I imagine the new intel-based ones would be even better.

BTW, e3954 - squeezenetwork has nothing to do with your computer. you don't even need your computer or slimserver running to access squeezenetwork. You must some other problem.

agentsmith
2006-03-05, 18:48
I use a mac mini exclusively for slimserver (in conjunction with itunes). I haven't had any problems except with the AlienBBC plugin but I'm still trying to work through those issues. Its a great (and inexpensive) way to have a dedicated slimserver. For what its worth I am using one of the g4's with 512GB RAM. I imagine the new intel-based ones would be even better.

BTW, e3954 - squeezenetwork has nothing to do with your computer. you don't even need your computer or slimserver running to access squeezenetwork. You must some other problem.

It sounds promising, but are you a seasoned Mac user? My experience is with PCs only and I know nothing about Macs. Is there a steep learning curve? I also plan on using MusicMagic.

One more issue, is the interoperability with Windoze PCs on the network transparent?

Matthew Fusfield
2006-03-05, 18:58
I use one of the "older" G4 based mini's for my SlimServer. I have 2
original SLIMP3 players and 1 Squeezebox2 connected to it and for the most
part it works great. I do have occasional dropouts on the SLIMP3's if I
leave iTunes running, but the Squeezebox works great and if I exit iTunes, I
can have all three going at once with no problem.

Matt

On 3/5/06, agentsmith <
agentsmith.2478kz1141566301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> The Mac Mini is looking more and more attractive.
>
> Is anyone, especially Windows users, running Slimserver on a Mac Mini?
>
>
> Is there a dummies guide for running Slim Server on a Mac Mini?
>
>
> --
> agentsmith
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> agentsmith's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1838
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21777
>
>

kanoot
2006-03-05, 20:11
It sounds promising, but are you a seasoned Mac user? My experience is with PCs only and I know nothing about Macs. Is there a steep learning curve? I also plan on using MusicMagic.

One more issue, is the interoperability with Windoze PCs on the network transparent?

I'm actually a seasoned UNIX/Linux user and the Mac is incredibly easy, no hard learning curve at all.

Sorry, I don't have any windows machines so I can't speak to networking issues.

Jungle
2006-03-06, 05:46

I have been happily running SlimServer on a Mac Mini since last Oct. It's a doddle on the Mac - even easier (IMHO) than on a PC. The mac Mini runs quiet/near silent so I can leave it on all the time.

I have a fair few of the plugins installed and, while AlienBBC took some time to get configured, once I worked through the issues all ran fine. I documented my methods on this and they are available on the Alien BBC install page.

I have just started with MusicMagic - you need to ensure you have the latest version - and Pandora. Both fantastic.

Only gotcha I have experienced is problems connecting to SqueezeNetwork but this is (I think) down to DNS issues on my Netgear router (DG834G). Aside from that, I would really recommend this setup.

As for Windows interoperability, you can run SoftSqueeze on a PC and access SlimServer if that's what you mean. As for moving files around/sharing printers etc, this is all pretty straightforward in OSX.

Hope this helps.

agentsmith
2006-03-06, 07:20
I have been happily running SlimServer on a Mac Mini since last Oct. It's a doddle on the Mac - even easier (IMHO) than on a PC. The mac Mini runs quiet/near silent so I can leave it on all the time.

I have a fair few of the plugins installed and, while AlienBBC took some time to get configured, once I worked through the issues all ran fine. I documented my methods on this and they are available on the Alien BBC install page.

I have just started with MusicMagic - you need to ensure you have the latest version - and Pandora. Both fantastic.

Only gotcha I have experienced is problems connecting to SqueezeNetwork but this is (I think) down to DNS issues on my Netgear router (DG834G). Aside from that, I would really recommend this setup.

As for Windows interoperability, you can run SoftSqueeze on a PC and access SlimServer if that's what you mean. As for moving files around/sharing printers etc, this is all pretty straightforward in OSX.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this is all sounding very promising. And with he new Intel processor and built in wifi and Gigabit Ethernet, the Mac Mini is sounding more and more it should come home and accompany my new plasma.

One inevitable thing to ask, with the new Front Row software and remote, it can at least have a part time job of doing what the Slim is doing?

Jungle
2006-03-06, 10:18
Thanks this is all sounding very promising. And with he new Intel processor and built in wifi and Gigabit Ethernet, the Mac Mini is sounding more and more it should come home and accompany my new plasma.

One inevitable thing to ask, with the new Front Row software and remote, it can at least have a part time job of doing what the Slim is doing?

My Mac Mini happily runs SlimServer in the background and spends the rest of its time running iTunes, email, web browsing, file & print stuff and anything else I want to throw at it. As with all macs, the more RAM you throw at it, the happier it becomes. Mine has 512MB and copes with pretty much anything except for when I want to simultaneously watch a DVD, convert other video content for iTunes, print my kids' homework, have my email client running and run about 10 Safari windows while keeping SlimServer and other stuff going on.

Not sure about the new Intel based Macs other than the fanboy sites have been waxing lyrical about speed. You should do a quick search on the forums here about running SlimServer on the Intel variants - I *think* it now all runs fast but I do remember a thread when they first came out.

stokessd
2006-03-06, 17:14
I love the mini, I just wish it had a 3.5" disk drive. The mini would be a bit less mini, but a whole lot more mini than a mini and an external HD.

Sheldon

kanoot
2006-03-06, 18:21

I haven't played too much with Front Row but from what I have seen so far I don't think I would spend more than a day playing with it.

My mac mini stays in the closet happily running slimserver and backups to my digi music collection. I hardly do anything else with it. My powerbook on the other hand does most of my computer work these days.

max.spicer
2006-03-09, 07:24
What's your disk situation? I've been tempted by a MacMini to replace my noisy server, but I need around 200GB of storage space for my collection, and also want to be sure I can easily add more disks if necessary. With the mini, I'm guessing that means external USB2 drives.

Max

Patrick Dowling
2006-03-09, 07:49
I've been also looking at using a mini for my music server to replace
my current aging, noisy and large server. I found several options
for external storage that match the foot print of the mini. The one
I liked best was the miniStack from newertechnology which can be
found at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/. From the reviews
that I read the fan in it is virtually silent and it's firewire based
so they can be daisy chained to add more if the 500GB storage limit
per device isn't enough.

Pat

On Mar 9, 2006, at 8:24 AM, max.spicer wrote:

>
> What's your disk situation? I've been tempted by a MacMini to replace
> my noisy server, but I need around 200GB of storage space for my
> collection, and also want to be sure I can easily add more disks if
> necessary. With the mini, I'm guessing that means external USB2
> drives.
>
> Max
>
> Jungle Wrote:
>> I have been happily running SlimServer on a Mac Mini since last Oct.
>> It's a doddle on the Mac - even easier (IMHO) than on a PC. The mac
>> Mini runs quiet/near silent so I can leave it on all the time.
>
>
> --
> max.spicer
>
> The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible
> teeth
> and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
> but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> max.spicer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=23
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21777
>
>

Jungle
2006-03-09, 09:50
What's your disk situation? I've been tempted by a MacMini to replace my noisy server, but I need around 200GB of storage space for my collection, and also want to be sure I can easily add more disks if necessary. With the mini, I'm guessing that means external USB2 drives.

Max

Although the Mini only came with 80GB, this has been OK for the short term and I'm just starting to look at options. Because I'm a curious sort, I dismantled my Mini to change the RAM and could see that a disk upgrade wasn't going to be too tricky. You could therefore look at an internal upgrade - the cheapest and neatest option. If this isn't your idea of fun, then an external drive would be even easier you'd be able to use either firewire or USB.

If you want to see photos of a Mac Mini without its top on, the hardcore stuff can be seen here: http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/how_back_up_upgrade_the_mac_mini_hard_drive_051011 43/

Hope this helps

kanoot
2006-03-09, 13:12
I found several options for external storage that match the foot print of the mini. The one I liked best was the miniStack from newertechnology which can be found at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/. From the reviews that I read the fan in it is virtually silent and it's firewire based so they can be daisy chained to add more if the 500GB storage limit per device isn't enough.

I have a Lacie drive that is just like the ministack - also firewire. Super fast, super quiet, and very large. My music collection lives on this drive and all my peripherals plug into it as well. Makes a great slimserver machine.

kanoot
2006-03-09, 13:14
Oh - and I also opened my mini up and swapped out the Ram for a 1GB chip as well as putting in a 7200rpm drive. Its snappy but I'm sure its not as snappy as the new Intel-based ones.

rtronick
2006-03-09, 14:22
Got my Squeezebox(wired)today and I'm running Slimserver on a MacMini 1.25GHz w/512Mb ram & a 250GB external hard drive. No problems setting up or running.

synergicity
2006-03-26, 02:35
I have a G4 mac mini and a ministack with a 320 gb western digital drive in it. I boot off the WD via firewire and it is *way* faster than the notebook drive in the mac mini. Slimserver runs just fine on this system, no dropouts, quick response.

davidcotton
2006-03-26, 04:51
So a system comprising a mac mini>wired SB3>usb external hd of any make/capacity would work fine?

trebejo
2006-04-03, 19:21
So a system comprising a mac mini>wired SB3>usb external hd of any make/capacity would work fine?

Yes. I would recommend using firewire instead of USB (about a $10-20 markup on cost per external drive) for two reasons:

1. Firewire daisy-chains in a more straightforward manner.
2. USB hits harder on the cpu.

With only one external drive, and with it dedicated solely to music, it may be a push between usb and firewire. However, I predict that at some point in the future you will be tempted to expand the external connection both in size and function. :)

I was looking into this a few months ago (dear, has it really been only about three months??), and my last post in this thread is close to where I ended up:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18555

The main difference is that I went with these cases instead,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145657

because of their whisper-quiet and efficient fan-cooling systems.

At the moment I've daisy-chained five of these and the performance has been excellent. Firewire is quirky so we'll see if it holds up on the scale of years, but if I decide that it's too flaky, I can always take out the drives and I'm only out the expense of the cases (for which there will often be some use).

And yes, I went with a mini instead of linux and it ended up being a 1.5ghz g4 with 1 gig of RAM. It's not just the music server, it is also my desktop machine and I have to work pretty hard to make it do dropouts on the slimserver (dvd2onex is usually one of the ingredients). As long as the app is not keen on hijacking the cpu instructions, slimserver just keeps on running.

One thing that happens is that the refresh page on "Browse Albums" takes a while (sometimes a minute or two). However that may have something to do with the size of my collection. :)

The bandwidth off the firewire arrays is currently at about 100-120 MbPS (i.e. 12-13 MBPS), which is huge compared to what is needed for music (about 60x-100x for flac files). What that means in practice is that even if you are reading off one of the drives as you play songs, you can use that drive in all the usual ways such as intensive reading and writing from it and not have a problem.

mrtaber
2006-05-20, 11:26
I'm in the same boat. Now the question is--is the Intel Core Solo model adequate (I'll be getting an external FW drive), or should I go for the bit faster Core Duo? Choices, choices....

Mark :)