X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saturn
    • Mar 2006

Problem: Can't open file from

Hi,

I have the SB3 for about 4 weeks and I like it a lot! But there is one minor thing when playing music from my mp3 library.

For example: in a directory it will play only the first 2 or 3 songs. But when I skip to the next track the SB3 gives this error message: Problem: Can't open file from.

When using Slimserver the problem is still there.

This problem isn't occuring at a specific track but in the whole mp3 library. The music is ok because I can play it on the computer with winamp. Is there anyone with this sort like error?
    Last edited by saturn; 2006-03-05, 18:27.
  • vain4
    • Jan 2006

this may no be the case for you but when ever i get the error message it's because slimserver is trying to play a song purchased from the itunes music store. i would assume other DRM music would behave the same

Comment

• saturn
      • Mar 2006

Thnx for your answer. I do not use iTunes. I've just specified in slimserver where it can find my mp3 files.

The files are free of DRM so that should not be the problem.

Comment

• Michaelwagner
        • May 2005

Is there any chance you moved the files?

The message means it can't find (or open) the file where it expects the file to be.

Another way this can happen is if you created a playlist and then either moved the playlist to another directory or else moved some of the files in the playlist.

If none of the above, check the file attributes to see if they've been marked system or hidden or something.

Failing all of that, we'll need more information about your setup before we can start to be of help.

We'll need to know what computer, what operating system, what version of slimserver, where your music library is located, and then we can start.

Comment

• saturn
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Michaelwagner
          Is there any chance you moved the files?

The message means it can't find (or open) the file where it expects the file to be.

Another way this can happen is if you created a playlist and then either moved the playlist to another directory or else moved some of the files in the playlist.

If none of the above, check the file attributes to see if they've been marked system or hidden or something.

Failing all of that, we'll need more information about your setup before we can start to be of help.

We'll need to know what computer, what operating system, what version of slimserver, where your music library is located, and then we can start.

I said earlier the error message is 'Problem: Can't open file from' but it is actualy 'Problem: Can't open file for:'

I do not use playlists but choose the mp3 file on the SB3 I want to listen to.

File attributes are correct.

Computer specs:
          Amd Athlon XP 2800
          1024 MB Ram
          SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

All the mp3 files are stored on a external harddisk connected through usb.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
            • Oct 2005

You've rescanned, including the "clear library and rescan" option?
            Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• saturn
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mark Lanctot
              You've rescanned, including the "clear library and rescan" option?
              Yes I did that more than once.

Comment

• dwc
                • Oct 2005

Whenever I've seen that error, it meant missing information in the DB for that track.

Comment

• Michaelwagner
                  • May 2005

Can you, from the web interface, see the song attributes for the songs that fail?

I looked through all the ways that message can be created, and they all seem fairly unlikely:
                  Certain failures in remote streaming (but you said these files were local)
                  Certain types of conversion errors (but you shouldn't be converting)
                  DRM (but you said that doesn't apply)
                  The file has zero size or zero duration (but they play with Winamp)
                  Song is of unrecognized type ...

If you can see the song attributes, see if any of these get mentioned.

If not, do you know how to turn on debugging and get a log? If so, turn on d_source and play one of these files, get the log and paste it into this thread. Thanks.

Comment

• dakotadave
                    • Mar 2006

I am having this same problem. I have done rescans also. I am using flac files and have put them in a directory. I am able to play them all using J. River Media Center or other media players. Most of my flacs were ripped with either J. River or EAC. However, I get this error of "can't open file" and then the box plays another track in that album. For example, with Counting Crows, "Films...." I try to play from the top but, first, it does not even see track 1, rather it sees track 17 twice. Then, it will only play track 2 or 17 and if you skip it plays those two and loops. If you try to play any other song on the album you get "Can't open....."

Anyway, since ripping with EAC the only thing I have done to this album is I have used J. River Media Center to give the tracks an individual rating of 1-5, so I can play all songs rated 3 or better, for e.g. But that is it.

Comment

• dakotadave
                      • Mar 2006

I have a log file but it is too many characters to be accepted so I have made an attachment. You will have to look down a ways to see the errors associated with failed attempts to play tracks off of the Counting Crows album. Additionally, the beginning of this file seems to indicate I had a bunch of errors during my rescan. I am not sure what all that is about either.

Comment

• bigmdime
                        • Apr 2006

hate to bump an older thread but has anyone solved this? i'm having the same problem and it's driving me mad and holding up the ripping process of my collection indefinitely until it's solved.

Comment

• Nick Lewis
                          • Dec 2005

Re: Problem: Can't open file from

This problem has been reported by a number of people over the past week. Can
                          anyone help out? I have a couple of CDs I have just ripped to MP3 which I
                          am waiting to move into my music directory.

If there are any diagnostics that could be run at each stage (move files,
                          rescan, play via MP3 tag, play via browse music folder) to help identify
                          what is going wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,
                          Nick

-----Original Message-----
                          From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
                          [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of bigmdime
                          Sent: 15 April 2006 18:35
                          To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
                          Subject: [slim] Re: Problem: Can't open file from

hate to bump an older thread but has anyone solved this? i'm having the same
                          problem and it's driving me mad and holding up the ripping process of my
                          collection indefinitely until it's solved.

--
                          bigmdime
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          bigmdime's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4956
                          View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21776

Comment

• Nick Lewis
                            • Dec 2005

Re: Problem: Can't open file from

Should have added, that I am also experiencing the problem.

Nick

[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Nick Lewis
                            Sent: 16 April 2006 07:54
                            To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
                            Subject: RE: [slim] Re: Problem: Can't open file from

This problem has been reported by a number of people over the past week. Can
                            anyone help out? I have a couple of CDs I have just ripped to MP3 which I
                            am waiting to move into my music directory.

If there are any diagnostics that could be run at each stage (move files,
                            rescan, play via MP3 tag, play via browse music folder) to help identify
                            what is going wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,
                            Nick

[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of bigmdime
                            Sent: 15 April 2006 18:35
                            To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
                            Subject: [slim] Re: Problem: Can't open file from

hate to bump an older thread but has anyone solved this? i'm having the same
                            problem and it's driving me mad and holding up the ripping process of my
                            collection indefinitely until it's solved.

--
                            bigmdime
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            bigmdime's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4956
                            View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21776

Comment

• bigmdime
                              • Apr 2006

I seem to have - if not solved the problem - found a way to make it go away after the fact (although it's not an ideal solution). By erasing the db file, and then rescanning completely, it seems the "missing files" have reappeared. That said, i'm not 100% confident this will work in all cases, or if i won't see it again...

can someone with "missing files" try this?

Comment

Working...