PDA

View Full Version : Problems Scanning large library in OS X with SS



Christopher Biscoe
2006-03-04, 20:10
Hi,

I was an old SB2 user that eventually abandoned it because of chronic
issues with the box and the server software. This was about 9 months
ago. Recently, lured by both Squeezenetwork (generally) and Pandora
(specifically) I jumped back in and bought 2 lovely new black SB3s.
Connecting to the Squeezenetwork is a breeze and Pandora works
brilliantly.

Problem I am having, and it was an intermittent problem before that
seems to be worse now, is scanning. I have aa large CD collection
and about 2500 are ripped to two Buffalo SAN boxes (which I highly
recommend after being burned by LaCie, TWICE). When I scan, I end up
with 340 albums and 602 songs by 216 artists. Many albums are one or
two songs long, despite having the entire album available on the SAN.
My Itunes database is correct, and everything is fully playable off
of the Mac (that is, I have tested that the music is still there in
Itunes with success). To begin with, I have just instructed Slim
Server to reference my Itunes file, rather than going through the
trouble of mapping the drives in SS (although I can be persuaded
otherwise). Am running 6.2.1 Slim Server (which seems to be the
latest version, unless I have missed something on the slimdevices
website).

I am running a Dual 2.5 Mac G5 (latest OS X) with 4gb of ram. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited with the look
and performance of the new boxes (and have already helped sell two
more to friends through my enthusiasm), but this problem definitely
rubs some of the polish off of my experience, and any help you can
provide would be dearly appreciated...

Chris

Dan Sully
2006-03-04, 22:21
* Christopher Biscoe shaped the electrons to say...

>I was an old SB2 user that eventually abandoned it because of chronic
>issues with the box and the server software. This was about 9 months
>ago. Recently, lured by both Squeezenetwork (generally) and Pandora
>(specifically) I jumped back in and bought 2 lovely new black SB3s.
>Connecting to the Squeezenetwork is a breeze and Pandora works
>brilliantly.

Glad to have you back, Christopher!

>Problem I am having, and it was an intermittent problem before that
>seems to be worse now, is scanning. I have aa large CD collection
>and about 2500 are ripped to two Buffalo SAN boxes (which I highly
>recommend after being burned by LaCie, TWICE). When I scan, I end up
>with 340 albums and 602 songs by 216 artists. Many albums are one or
>two songs long, despite having the entire album available on the SAN.
>My Itunes database is correct, and everything is fully playable off
>of the Mac (that is, I have tested that the music is still there in
>Itunes with success). To begin with, I have just instructed Slim
>Server to reference my Itunes file, rather than going through the
>trouble of mapping the drives in SS (although I can be persuaded
>otherwise). Am running 6.2.1 Slim Server (which seems to be the
>latest version, unless I have missed something on the slimdevices
>website).

Try setting the iTunes Rescan Interval to 0.

-D
--
<noah> I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.

Christopher Biscoe
2006-03-05, 05:10
Thanks Dan,

Have set it to 0. Unfortunately, same essential problem. Scan stops
at 340 Albums, 609 songs (a seven song improvement), and 216 artists.

When it gets to these numbers, SS is no longer saying that it is
rescanning...

Very weird. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Chris

On Mar 5, 2006, at 12:21 AM, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Christopher Biscoe shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> I was an old SB2 user that eventually abandoned it because of
>> chronic issues with the box and the server software. This was
>> about 9 months ago. Recently, lured by both Squeezenetwork
>> (generally) and Pandora (specifically) I jumped back in and
>> bought 2 lovely new black SB3s. Connecting to the Squeezenetwork
>> is a breeze and Pandora works brilliantly.
>
> Glad to have you back, Christopher!
>
>> Problem I am having, and it was an intermittent problem before
>> that seems to be worse now, is scanning. I have aa large CD
>> collection and about 2500 are ripped to two Buffalo SAN boxes
>> (which I highly recommend after being burned by LaCie, TWICE).
>> When I scan, I end up with 340 albums and 602 songs by 216
>> artists. Many albums are one or two songs long, despite having
>> the entire album available on the SAN. My Itunes database is
>> correct, and everything is fully playable off of the Mac (that
>> is, I have tested that the music is still there in Itunes with
>> success). To begin with, I have just instructed Slim Server to
>> reference my Itunes file, rather than going through the trouble
>> of mapping the drives in SS (although I can be persuaded
>> otherwise). Am running 6.2.1 Slim Server (which seems to be the
>> latest version, unless I have missed something on the slimdevices
>> website).
>
> Try setting the iTunes Rescan Interval to 0.
>
> -D
> --
> <noah> I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
>

Dan Sully
2006-03-05, 11:17
* Christopher Biscoe shaped the electrons to say...

>Have set it to 0. Unfortunately, same essential problem. Scan stops
>at 340 Albums, 609 songs (a seven song improvement), and 216 artists.
>
>When it gets to these numbers, SS is no longer saying that it is
>rescanning...
>
>Very weird. Any thoughts?

First of all, try downloading the 6.2.2 nightly build, which has bug fixes
since the 6.2.1 official build. http://slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

Secondly, could you run slim.exe on the command line? Possibly with the
--d_itunes flag? Hopefully that will give some indication of what's
happening. Do you have any iTunes Music Store songs? Those won't show up in
SlimServer, and will affect the song count.

Thanks.

-D
--
<dr.pox> NO, NETBSD IS NOT REALLY BUILT WITH ELITE FORTRAN77!!@$#$

agentsmith
2006-03-05, 18:51
* Christopher Biscoe shaped the electrons to say...

>Have set it to 0. Unfortunately, same essential problem. Scan stops
>at 340 Albums, 609 songs (a seven song improvement), and 216 artists.
>
>When it gets to these numbers, SS is no longer saying that it is
>rescanning...
>
>Very weird. Any thoughts?

First of all, try downloading the 6.2.2 nightly build, which has bug fixes
since the 6.2.1 official build. http://slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

Secondly, could you run slim.exe on the command line? Possibly with the
--d_itunes flag? Hopefully that will give some indication of what's
happening. Do you have any iTunes Music Store songs? Those won't show up in
SlimServer, and will affect the song count.

Thanks.

-D
--
<dr.pox> NO, NETBSD IS NOT REALLY BUILT WITH ELITE FORTRAN77!!@$#$

I am pondering the Mac option and watching this thread with interest. You mentioned command line. Is there a command line option for Mac? That would greatly enhance my desire for getting a Mac

Dan Sully
2006-03-05, 19:21
* agentsmith shaped the electrons to say...

>I am pondering the Mac option and watching this thread with interest.
>You mentioned command line. Is there a command line option for Mac?
>That would greatly enhance my desire for getting a Mac

Yes - OS X has a Terminal which enables a bash shell by default.

It's just BSD + Mach underneath. 20 years of research and a nice UI.

-D
--
There was supposed to be a big kaboom.

Christopher Biscoe
2006-03-06, 05:24
Dan,

Thanks for your help. Downloading the new build didn't work
initially, but I went ahead and deleted the Itunes Library Files and
rescanned them. Doing so meant that the scan on Slimserver was
successful.

Many thanks for your help. As an owner of both Squeezebox and Olive
Musica, I have to say that one of the key differentiators (and a
significant source of comfort) is this interested community of users
listening to, learning from and helping one another

Kind regards,

Chris



On Mar 5, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Christopher Biscoe shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> Have set it to 0. Unfortunately, same essential problem. Scan
>> stops at 340 Albums, 609 songs (a seven song improvement), and
>> 216 artists.
>>
>> When it gets to these numbers, SS is no longer saying that it is
>> rescanning...
>>
>> Very weird. Any thoughts?
>
> First of all, try downloading the 6.2.2 nightly build, which has
> bug fixes
> since the 6.2.1 official build. http://slimdevices.com/
> dev_nightly.html
>
> Secondly, could you run slim.exe on the command line? Possibly with
> the
> --d_itunes flag? Hopefully that will give some indication of what's
> happening. Do you have any iTunes Music Store songs? Those won't
> show up in
> SlimServer, and will affect the song count.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D
> --
> <dr.pox> NO, NETBSD IS NOT REALLY BUILT WITH ELITE FORTRAN77!!@$#$
>