PDA

View Full Version : NETGEAR model DG834PN WPA-PSK connection problem with Squeezebox 3

shinyspoon
2006-03-04, 16:13
Hello,

First post, new SB3 user, please be gentle..

NETGEAR model DG834PN Firmware V1.03.18 – Latest and only version available.

SLIMSERVER: SlimServer_v2006-03-04.exe Firmware version: 35

WINXP SP2 fully patched, new install.

Successful connections using:

Disable - This will disable the security function. Data will not be encrypted before transmission.

WEP - WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
Authentication Type: default value of "Automatic."
Encryption Strength : 128-bit encryption

If I use WPA-PSK Security Encryption I am unable to connect and get the following message:
“Problem: Can’t connect to wireless network.”
“Press LEFT to go back, RIGHT to try again.”

Simple Network Key: 12345678

From the NETGEAR Wireless Settings Help

For WPA-PSK, you need to enter the Network Key here. The Key must be from 8 to 63 ASCII characters. Your Wireless Stations must use the same key.
WPA Encryption:
Currently, only TKIP is supported. Ensure your Wireless Stations are also using TKIP. Normally, this is the default. If there is no choice of encryption methods for WPA-PSK, then you can assume TKIP will be used.

I sent this to 'support@slimdevices.com' and also posted here,as I found others with similar problems.
Should I also post a bug report?
Does anyone have any ideas on this and how to debug the WPA connection problem?

Thanks
Shinyspoon

goldnet
2006-03-06, 02:29
I've had the same problems - see my thread "Recommended UK wireless ADSL routers?"

Neither Netgear nor SlimDevices has yet come up with a workable solution. Slimdevices are trying to get hold of a DG834PN (which is not available in the US, I believe) to test. In the meantime, I was using 128-bit WEP plus MAC filtering to gain reasonable security.

Mine works OK next to the router but won't get a connection from the room downstairs where the stereo is! The MIMO router is supposed to extend wireless range but there's clearly something wrong.

jeremy
2006-03-06, 02:50
I had a similar problem with my DG834GT when I updated to latest firmware so rolled back to v1.01.28 and now works fine

shinyspoon
2006-03-07, 12:17
Thanks for your responses, Bug 3109: wpa and wpa2 incompatible with Netgear DG834PN has been raised.

Additional information:
A colleague has the SB3 working fine, using WPA-PSK, and a NETGEAR WGT634U.

The NETGEAR description for the 108 Mbps RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router Model DG834PN has "Note: This product is not available in North America"!

I wonder if this has anything to do with the WPA connection problems. I talked to our Network Guru and AFA he knows, the only difference is channel usage.

landingz
2006-03-27, 03:06
Just for information, the Netgear DG834GT also has the same issue with the latest firmware (I think v1.2?). From this I would assume that all '8' series Netgear routers have the issue?

oli
2006-03-27, 07:21
I'm having exactly the same problem with a Netgear DG834GT. Everything was working fine until I reset the player's MAC address in order to connect to SqueezeNetwork. SB2's firmware version is 28. I've tried all the available versions of the Netgear's firmware to no avail. I have been in contact with Slimsuppport for about 2 weeks regarding this issue but have yet to receive any useful advice.

Cheers

Oli

landingz
2006-05-04, 09:55
Hi all,

As this thread seems to have stalled, I thought I would let you know that I have now managed to resolve this issue I experienced with my DG834GT/SB2.

I am now running the formal 6.2.2 release of SlimServer, with the v1.2 NetGear firmware and all works fine. The later version of firmware supplied with SlimServer seems to work a treat!

Simon Still
2006-05-04, 13:14
---Simple Network Key: 12345678

that might be your problem - i found i needed an alpha character in the
string to get it to work.

Grumps
2006-07-10, 10:33
I've had the same problems - see my thread "Recommended UK wireless ADSL routers?"

Neither Netgear nor SlimDevices has yet come up with a workable solution. Slimdevices are trying to get hold of a DG834PN (which is not available in the US, I believe) to test. In the meantime, I was using 128-bit WEP plus MAC filtering to gain reasonable security.

Mine works OK next to the router but won't get a connection from the room downstairs where the stereo is! The MIMO router is supposed to extend wireless range but there's clearly something wrong.

I have the same problem you mentioned regarding the DG834PN and the SB when positioned downstairs next to my stereo. SB works a treat in same small room as the DG but when moved donstairs I have poor connectivity.

I have tried all channels and am using WEP 128-bit(found WPA didn't work). Best signal strength I get is approx 25-30% at SB next to stereo but it drops packets so that when I do get music/speech the sound sort of modulates and is slow.

Have you managed to overcome your problem? If so would you please tell me how?

RichP
2006-07-10, 13:43
I had loads of problems with my DG834PN talking to my SQB when I first got them - initially I had to run a 20M ethernet cable as they just wouldn't talk.

Later versions of the SQB firmware greatly improved things so I'd recommend using the latest SlimServer to get the latest firmware (6.3.0 and 55 I think). If your wireless connection is unreliable I'd go wired for the firmware update.

With the latest firmware on both the DG834PN and the SQB I'm getting 73% signal strength on my SQB downstairs with my DG834PN stuffed in a corner beside a bookcase in my study upstairs.

I am still using 128 bit WEP as that was the first type of security I could get working when the SQB firmware version was back in the mid 30s. Keep intending to try WPA-PSK again but never seem to get round to it...

Rich

Skwark
2006-09-08, 17:37
Anyone using the DG834N?

I just bought one to replace my DG834G, of which the signal no longer stretches far enough in my new home, plus wireless had a tendency to disable itself, requiring a reboot every now and again (fine when wired setup is used, but the DG834G is relying on pure wireless connections now).

I'm presuming the DG834N will sort the deadspots/weak signal with standard g equipment

bonze
2006-09-09, 02:44
I'm using the DG834N, to replace a DG834G :)

The range is very good, all around the house. I was getting 'dead spots', especially in the room directly below the router.

But I was a bit confused with the settings - leaving it on a default of 'Up to 270Mbps' & 'WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK' and the SB wasn't happy.
It kept dropping and reconnecting every few seconds or not connecting at all.

I changed the settings down to 'g&b' and 'WPA-PSK' and it's a lot happier.

I'm using SB with 6.3.1 and router with 1.01.03.

Skwark
2006-09-09, 07:06
Excellent... good to know!

Thanks for the tips to.

Big AAC
2007-10-07, 14:53
does anyobdy have a difinitive answer for the best settings to use with the DG834PN?

I've tried WPA and it doesn't like it. drops every few seconds/ minutes or just simply won't connect.

WEP wasn't much better to be honest.

I currently have it disabled and over wireless the player still drops!!! wired it is fine but wireless is pretty hopeless

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-07, 14:57
Troubleshooting here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

Big AAC
2007-10-07, 15:05
Troubleshooting here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

Hi, thanks for the lnk. My sgnal strength (when connected) is always 100% (SB is stood a foot away from router) but it seems to intermitantly drop the signal!?!

The Server and Network Health is showing 90% at 5000kbps!! also.

It seems the connection is fine when connected, but it just cannot seem to sustain the connection via wireless?

scala
2007-10-08, 06:12
Hello

I'm also experiencing similar problems as those listed by several users with my DG834N. Basically I have good streaming for a while, and then without apparent reasons the music has hiccups. I will try to step down the security level as suggested by some (I'm using full WPA2 now) and keep the community informed.

Big AAC
2007-10-08, 13:48
Hello

I'm also experiencing similar problems as those listed by several users with my DG834N. Basically I have good streaming for a while, and then without apparent reasons the music has hiccups. I will try to step down the security level as suggested by some (I'm using full WPA2 now) and keep the community informed.

That would be good scala because i'm struggling on anything other than 'disabled'

bonze
2007-10-08, 14:14
But I was a bit confused with the settings - leaving it on a default of 'Up to 270Mbps' & 'WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK' and the SB wasn't happy.
It kept dropping and reconnecting every few seconds or not connecting at all.

I changed the settings down to 'g&b' and 'WPA-PSK' and it's a lot happier.

I'm using SB with 6.3.1 and router with 1.01.03.Just to add....
I recently changed the settings back to 'Up to 270Mbps' and the SB3s seem to be fine.

Not sure what changed it.
The router is on version 1.01.06, SlimServer now @ 6.5.1

Empgamer
2007-10-09, 10:06
I have a DG834PN unfortunately. SB works fine on ethernet. Doesn't want to know on wireless at all. Shame as it will likely lead me to going for an alternative player. I just can't be bothered to mess around for hours.

Ethernet is fine but I don't want to do wired or ethernet over power. On wirless the SB won't obtain an IP address as it says it can't find the server (every other device we have using it can) and if I go the static route it gets to 'Connecting to SlimServer and just stalls). Just my luck and I'm sure it's the router but I just can't be bothered to change it.

Siduhe
2007-10-09, 10:56
I have a DG834PN unfortunately. SB works fine on ethernet. Doesn't want to know on wireless at all. Shame as it will likely lead me to going for an alternative player. I just can't be bothered to mess around for hours.

Ethernet is fine but I don't want to do wired or ethernet over power. On wirless the SB won't obtain an IP address as it says it can't find the server (every other device we have using it can) and if I go the static route it gets to 'Connecting to SlimServer and just stalls). Just my luck and I'm sure it's the router but I just can't be bothered to change it.

Have you tried: rebooting the router (not via the web interface, but unplugging the router for a period of minutes). Then boot up only the device which has Slimserver on, don't allow anything else you have to connect wirelessly. Then try to connect the SB. This is just to rule out an IP conflict of some sort which can arise if you've been playing around with settings.

Also, you have added the necessary exceptions in any antivirus/security software program you have like McAfee or ZoneAlarm? It wouldn't hurt to add an exception for "slim.exe" as well for testing purposes (assuming you are using a 6.5 build) just to make sure the reason it can't find the server is because it's being blocked by your PC.

Empgamer
2007-10-11, 00:11
Cracked it now with all security disabled. Will now start to switch on the various security elements. Not sure what was causing the problems.

scala
2007-10-11, 14:54
Hello
So even when setting my router to g-only mode, WEP or no encryption, and testing manually different channels I always have the problem that music is intermittent after some time (and no, it's not the computer, I even disabled the screen saver).
I'm starting to believe it's the DG834N fault, but I don't understand if it's "by design" or if it needs repair. However I never tried my SB3 with another router...I will probably have the chance of testing a friend's over the weekend and I'll see.

mwoodroof
2007-10-15, 10:14
Same problem here with a Netgear DG834PN. Works fine with encryption switched off but no dice with WPA PSK 1 or 2 switched on. Have upgraded router firmware to latest (1.03.30) but still no good. Am running SlimerServer "6.2.2 - 6523 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252".

See my thread here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37290

Decided that next step should be to upgrade my SlimServer to latest version (6.2 is a bit old now I guess), but now can't find the link in the SlimServer interface to upgrade, even though I have seen it there before many times! Can anyone tell me where to find it? Didn't know if downloading latest SlimServer installer and just running it over my existing install was a good idea!?!?

Any more ideas would be appreciated... this is most annoying, I know when the Squeezebox works it is awesome, as it was on my last wireless router (which sadly died!)

Thanks in advance!

Empgamer
2007-10-15, 13:40
Does anything in this thread help?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39062

Big AAC
2007-10-15, 14:14
Same problem here with a Netgear DG834PN. Works fine with encryption switched off but no dice with WPA PSK 1 or 2 switched on. Have upgraded router firmware to latest (1.03.30) but still no good. Am running SlimerServer "6.2.2 - 6523 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252".

See my thread here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37290

Decided that next step should be to upgrade my SlimServer to latest version (6.2 is a bit old now I guess), but now can't find the link in the SlimServer interface to upgrade, even though I have seen it there before many times! Can anyone tell me where to find it? Didn't know if downloading latest SlimServer installer and just running it over my existing install was a good idea!?!?

Any more ideas would be appreciated... this is most annoying, I know when the Squeezebox works it is awesome, as it was on my last wireless router (which sadly died!)

Thanks in advance!

having just gone through this i would suggest the following changes:

1. Downgrade your NETGEAR firmware to V1.03.18
2. Change your wireless channel (mine was 11 and is now 2).
3. upgrade Slimserver to the latest release (i'm currently using 6.5.2)
4. Try using WEP first (WPA is a little jumpy), when you do this enter the key manually in the NETGEAR settings. I tried entering the key via a passphrase that i entered and the SB3 wasn't liking it.

Its worth nting that this time last week i was having a whole host of problems with the DG834PN which now seem to be sorted so a little perseverance and logical problem solving and you'll get it cracked in no time!

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-15, 16:58
Decided that next step should be to upgrade my SlimServer to latest version (6.2 is a bit old now I guess), but now can't find the link in the SlimServer interface to upgrade, even though I have seen it there before many times! Can anyone tell me where to find it?

I'm away from SS at the moment, but it's in Server Settings somewhere, the option is to check for updates but all it will do is tell you a new one is available.

To download the new version, go to www.slimdevices.com/downloads.

Didn't know if downloading latest SlimServer installer and just running it over my existing install was a good idea!?!?

No, there were lots of changes between 6.5.0+ and earlier versions. You'd best uninstall 6.2.2 completely, including deleting any remaining folders.

Note you will need new plugins for 6.5+.

Also note that it's not SlimServer that will determine how the SB behaves in a wireless environment, it's the SB firmware contained in SS.

karma mechanic
2007-10-17, 09:58
I just went upstairs to confirm that my router is a Netgear DG834PN, and the firmware is at 1.03.30.

I'm using WPA-PSK, and the Squeezebox has never had any problems with it. I recently changed to channel 13 (from 11) and it all still works.

There's always one isn't there...!

Georgetownguy
2008-10-18, 13:24
Guys

I just bought a new router

Hardware Version WNR2000
Firmware Version V1.1.3.9NA

I enabled various security on it but when I try to connect the SB2 to the Network I ultimately get to the Screen:

Enter WEP2 Password (or variant for WEP etc).

At this point the SB won't let me enter anything. I try using the up down arrows and nothing happens. In about 5 seconds the screen goes blank and it reboots. I have the latest Firmware. Help!

venus light
2008-10-18, 13:44
Guys

I just bought a new router

Hardware Version WNR2000
Firmware Version V1.1.3.9NA

I enabled various security on it but when I try to connect the SB2 to the Network I ultimately get to the Screen:

Enter WEP2 Password (or variant for WEP etc).

At this point the SB won't let me enter anything. I try using the up down arrows and nothing happens. In about 5 seconds the screen goes blank and it reboots. I have the latest Firmware. Help!

I'm having the same issue. Had no problems before - using the same router that I always have. I get the same issue if I am using WEP or WPA.

Please help.

Georgetownguy
2008-10-18, 19:28
I'm having the same issue. Had no problems before - using the same router that I always have. I get the same issue if I am using WEP or WPA.

Please help.

Venus - what preceded the issue. Did you change config, router, software, anything? When did it occur?