PDA

View Full Version : Sonus pretty controller!!!

Timbo
2006-03-04, 05:58
Have just been to the Bristol hi-fi show and it looks like Sonus are bringing out a streaming device along the lines of SB that doesn't have built in amps (thier existing system is more a multi-room solution) but still features their incredible hand held controller...now that's interesting.

I also wonder is there a handheld PDA or something that could do the same job for SB3 or a future Squeezebox? I have such a job reading my SB display from across the room - and when you put it in large type its awful! The Sonus controller is exceptionally cool (although it costs a small fortune I think!)

:-)

cshaida
2006-03-04, 06:52
I also wonder is there a handheld PDA or something ...

Yes there is. It's called a Nokia 770 (with Ben Klass's skin available now in slimserver beta version 6.5). It's not cheap (though cheaper than the the single-purpose sonos remote)at $350 but you do also get the added benefit of its use as a lovely handheld internet browser.

Search the wiki and these forums for a ton of additional information. There appears to be a rapidly growing group of delighted sb+770 users.

rudholm
2006-03-04, 09:34
Have just been to the Bristol hi-fi show and it looks like Sonus are bringing out a streaming device along the lines of SB that doesn't have built in amps (thier existing system is more a multi-room solution) but still features their incredible hand held controller...now that's interesting.

I also wonder is there a handheld PDA or something that could do the same job for SB3 or a future Squeezebox? I have such a job reading my SB display from across the room - and when you put it in large type its awful! The Sonus controller is exceptionally cool (although it costs a small fortune I think!)

:-)

The Sonos approach has its drawbacks as well. One generally has fewer remotes than music players (they're 400$ each, so most people have only one or two) so you'll find that you're carrying the thing around with you a lot and they're neither small nor light. Also, even though they are somewhat ruggedized and "splash resistant" I still don't think I'd want 400$ remote controllers in a home with children.