PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Nokia 770

gbruzzo
2006-03-03, 10:38
Dear All,

I am thinking about buying the nokia 770 to get over the childish lack-of-sonos-remote-syndrome.
I currently use a linkstation to store my music/run slimserver 6.2 and stream it via belkin wireless router to the squeezebox.
Is this setup compatible with using a nokia 770 as a remote, and if so what steps should I undertake?

I am aware the questions are general in scope, but your help is much appreciated.

Giacomo

jimdibb
2006-03-03, 10:42
Search will find you many threads.

On 3/3/06, gbruzzo <gbruzzo.243u4n1141407601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am thinking about buying the nokia 770 to get over the childish
> lack-of-sonos-remote-syndrome.
> I currently use a linkstation to store my music/run slimserver 6.2 and
> stream it via belkin wireless router to the squeezebox.
> Is this setup compatible with using a nokia 770 as a remote, and if so
> what steps should I undertake?
>
> I am aware the questions are general in scope, but your help is much
> appreciated.
>
> Giacomo
>
>
> --
> gbruzzo
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> gbruzzo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3633
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21715
>
>

bklaas
2006-03-03, 10:58
You'll need to use slimserver 6.5 to use the Nokia770 skin.
cheers,
#!/ben

Kyle
2006-03-03, 11:15
Search will find you many threads.

Couldn't you have not answered his question in less space?

jimdibb
2006-03-03, 11:52
No, I couldn't because I didn't know the answer. Not having a Nokia 770
(but rather an AXIM x50V - which I tried telcanto on but do not generally
use because I don't have it handy at all times) I don't know what's required
for a Nokia 770. But after following the email list for quite some time I
know there is at least one exhaustive thread on using it.

Have a nice day.

So, I gave the best advice I had.

On 3/3/06, Kyle <Kyle.243vzb1141410001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> jimdibb Wrote:
> > Search will find you many threads.
> >
> Couldn't you have not answered his question in less space?
>
>
> --
> Kyle
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Kyle's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2541
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21715
>
>

Kyle
2006-03-03, 12:13
So, I gave the best advice I had.

Apologies for any offense. I thought you were giving the kneejerk "search the threads -- why are you wasting bandwidth" response when, IMHO, such responses simply waste more bandwidth, particularly when they include the original post. Cheers.

kdf
2006-03-03, 12:21
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.243yiz1141413301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> IMHO, such responses simply waste more bandwidth, particularly when
> they include the original post. Cheers.

If it was simple enough to expect that people had already taken the
effort to do a search, then it certainly wouldn't need to be said.
However, it does seem that many do need to be reminded to search. It
is better (ie less "waste" of bandwidth to simply say "do a search"
than to retype, at length, what has already been said a dozen times.
Stick around long enough, and you'll get far more annoyed at having to
do that, than reading posts that remind users of the search function.
-k

jimdibb
2006-03-03, 13:02
> IMHO, such responses simply waste more bandwidth, particularly when
> they include the original post. Cheers.

That is one point I could have done better with. The gmail interface
somewhat makes me forget the quoted text is even there because it's hidden
automatically on incoming messages and the compose window is generally
somewhat small. Quoted text quickly scrolls off the bottom of the window if
the reply is of any length.

bklaas
2006-03-03, 13:16
re-hijacking this thread for its original purpose:

check out the wiki I wrote up on this
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770

as for your Belkin router and Linkstation, they will be irrelevant to the equation so long as they do their job. Nokia770 supports 802.11b and 802.11g.

cheers,
#!/ben

Kyle
2006-03-03, 13:34
Ben, having read your opinions about Internet Explorer, can I assume you won't have any interest in developing a plugin for Microsoft's new Origami device?

bklaas
2006-03-03, 13:40
Ben, having read your opinions about Internet Explorer, can I assume you won't have any interest in developing a plugin for Microsoft's new Origami device?

I would be very interested in a standards-compliant Internet Explorer running on an Origami device that also can run open-source software.

Here's the problem: not a single part of that last statement exists.

;)

I have fun following all the gadgets that hit the market, even from the Evil Empire. Origami could be very interesting, but it's an unknown quantity at this point. There is all kinds of innovation that comes out of Microsoft, but they hamstring everything with propietary THIS and DRM THAT. I tend to stay clear of THIS and THAT.

cheers,
#!/ben

#!/ben

moby_uk
2006-03-03, 13:48
Well said !

BTW, my 770 is en-route and I am looking forward to trying out this skin. Does anybody have any comments on Slimserver 6.5? Is it stable?

Kyle
2006-03-03, 14:03
Origami could be very interesting, but it's an unknown quantity at this point.
Well, at least you haven't ruled it out altogether! ;) I'd be more interested in a Nokia 770 if it had more than just a marginally larger screen than my Sony CLIE. Seems like the Origami might have enough additional screen real estate to make it worth considering. I do like the potential of AJAX-related features. Keep up the good work.

Kyle
2006-03-03, 14:10
Stick around long enough, and you'll get far more annoyed at having to
do that, than reading posts that remind users of the search function.
-k
Props to your post count and development work, kdf. I agree the response can be warranted, I just don't like it when people throw it out over and over with little or no regard to the question or the questioner.

bklaas
2006-03-03, 14:25
Well, at least you haven't ruled it out altogether! ;) I'd be more interested in a Nokia 770 if it had more than just a marginally larger screen than my Sony CLIE. Seems like the Origami might have enough additional screen real estate to make it worth considering. I do like the potential of AJAX-related features. Keep up the good work.

this kind of depends what you mean by 'real estate'. The Nokia's screen is 800x480, which I believe should be quite a bit larger than your CLIE. Physically it isn't much bigger than the CLIE (in other words, the pixels are small), but the tradeoff is you get a device that fits in your pocket.

Honestly, physically the Nokia is a bit small for what I want to do with it, but it's a one-of-a-kind right now. Maybe that niche will become a bit more crowded with Origami, but again, nobody truly knows what it is yet.

#!/ben

Nikhil
2006-03-03, 14:30
I have two unrelated questions that are only partially related to this thread, so apologies if I am hijacking, but this seems as good a forum as any.

1) Before the Nokia 770 came along, I really had no need for album art and the likes. Not knowing its effect on the performance of slimserver (v 6.1) running on a Buffalo Linkstation (PPC 200 Mhz, 1.4x firmware), I left it out. However now it seems like it would be a nice addition. Does anyone have experience with and without album art on slimserver resource usage particularly on a platform like the linkstation? Will it make a difference at all? I have about 450 albums, mostly in FLAC and a few in high bitrate mp3s, so no server side transcoding.

2) How hard would it be to actually create a standalone app for the nokia 770 that would function like say a sonos controller (i.e. use the hardware buttons on the nokia etc). I find that the squeezebox itself, or even softsqueeze on a 3rd computer is far more responsive and zippy, than using the web interface which cause slimserver to be taxed a bit more.

Thanks,

Nikhil

bklaas
2006-03-03, 14:43
2) How hard would it be to actually create a standalone app for the nokia 770 that would function like say a sonos controller (i.e. use the hardware buttons on the nokia etc). I find that the squeezebox itself, or even softsqueeze on a 3rd computer is far more responsive and zippy, than using the web interface which cause slimserver to be taxed a bit more.

I'm not sure how difficult a standalone app would be, but that's only half the equation: you also need to convince someone to write it. If you want to be that person, far be it for me to hold you back. Check out http://maemo.org to learn about the open source development platform for the Nokia 770.

That said, I'm not a big believer in going to unnecessary lengths to accomplish a goal. If you want responsive and zippy, my answer to that is: Web Interface + Ajax = Repsonsive and Zippy

It's a work in progress, but Responsive and Zippy is my focus in the Nokia770 skin development.

cheers,
#!/ben

cshaida
2006-03-03, 14:51
appears to the admittedly non-technical eye to be pretty stable. more data if it helps-- I've got 3 sb3s, all operating wirelessly. a moderately size library (~700 cds). run wxp. use the sb remotes and the nokia770 with ben's skin. play radioparadise, kcrw and for the past several days pandora at some point most days in addition to stored music. have been running 6.5 for two weeks. haven't had a problem with it yet. in practice as stable as the official version I was using.

JimB
2006-03-15, 11:35
One relatively simple question ( I think). Why does the Nokia require Slimserver 6.5?

Couldnt the Nokia 770 just browse to the IP of the squeezebox and navigate it like any other PC in the house does? I assume I am missing something big here because I was confused by all the steps in the wiki.

kdf
2006-03-15, 11:45
Quoting JimB <JimB.24q4wn1142448001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> One relatively simple question ( I think). Why does the Nokia require
> Slimserver 6.5?

The device itself doesn't. The skin that is optimised for use with
the Nokia770, however, is only in 6.5. 6.2.2 builds are for bug fixes
only. The new skin is a feature, not a fix. The skinning
requirements ar every different between 6.2 and 6.5 so it is not a
simple effort to port.

> Couldnt the Nokia 770 just browse to the IP of the squeezebox and
> navigate it like any other PC in the house does?

absolutely it can. You would simply have to choose from the supported
skins in 6.2.x.

-kdf

JimB
2006-03-15, 12:20
Thank you, very helpful!

One additional question on response speed. I have tried to use a relatively new HP pocket PC over wifi and the transmission speeds are REALLY slow. I dont think its a wifi issue but rather a processing power issue, maybe RAM????

How is the response time, download time with this device?

bklaas
2006-03-15, 12:36
You will find the 770 somewhere in between a PC and a Pocket PC for performance. I find it responsive enough to not be annoyed, which is truly the threshhold of interest here. That annoyance threshold will vary amongst people though.

One of the key improvements of the 770 over other handheld devices is that it has a pretty full-featured browser. It supports Ajax, advanced javascript, and renders (most) complicated webpages beautifully (e.g., nytimes.com). The browser is a big reason why this device kicks the butt of pocketPC-type-things.

cheers,
#!/ben