PDA

View Full Version : Defaulting to the clock when SlimServer shuts down

benthos
2006-03-02, 19:54
Hi all,

I am using an SB3 with a laptop computer that I turn off regularly - I try to be conservative in my power usage. Whenever I shut off the computer, my SB3's screen goes blank. I'm wondering if there's any way to get the SB3 to automatically go into "clock" mode whenever it can't connect to the SlimServer.

I like the clock display, and since I haven't got any other clocks in my living room, it would be a nice option. I realize that I could get the clock to show by connecting to the Squeezenetwork, but I never think to do this (I am lazy), and think it would be a great benefit if the SB3 just somehow defaulted to clock mode of its own volition. I take it that it has to get the time from either the SlimServer or Squeezenetwork, and that it can't just store the time on its own, correct?

Chris (who is enjoying the new Pandora option)

snarlydwarf
2006-03-02, 20:23
Yes, the clock comes from the server... the SB doesn't have a clue that it's even displaying a clock, the server drives the display.

benthos
2006-03-02, 20:26
Yes, the clock comes from the server... the SB doesn't have a clue that it's even displaying a clock, the server drives the display.

Well, all the more reason why it should be able to display the clock without SlimServer being connected, don't you think?

snarlydwarf
2006-03-02, 20:47
Or more the reason it can't...

It doesn't even know it -has- a clock.

It's just displaying lit and unlit pixels, depending on what the server sends it... it has no idea what the time is... just that it was told to display a bunch of bits.

Ben Sandee
2006-03-02, 20:58
On 3/2/06, benthos <benthos.242rgz1141357505 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> snarlydwarf Wrote:
> > Yes, the clock comes from the server... the SB doesn't have a clue that
> > it's even displaying a clock, the server drives the display.
>
> Well, all the more reason why it should be able to display the clock
> without SlimServer being connected, don't you think?

I don't. -1. I want my device slim.

kdf
2006-03-02, 22:22
On 2-Mar-06, at 7:26 PM, benthos wrote:

>
> snarlydwarf Wrote:
>> Yes, the clock comes from the server... the SB doesn't have a clue
>> that
>> it's even displaying a clock, the server drives the display.
>
> Well, all the more reason why it should be able to display the clock
> without SlimServer being connected, don't you think?
>
no....you don't get it. no server, no display.
all the more reason for explaining why nothing happens if you have no pc

you CAN connect to squeezenetwork nad get a clock if you want. for
now, this is a manual operation, but the intent to to make this more
seemless.
regardless, some sort of outside interraction is required to have a
clock.

personally, I don't support the use of limited resources in firmware to
simply display a clock. there are already too many bloody clocks all
over the place.
-k

aubuti
2006-03-03, 07:20
<snip>
I realize that I could get the clock to show by connecting to the Squeezenetwork, but I never think to do this (I am lazy) <snip>

Connecting to squeezenetwork takes what, 3 presses on the remote? If you're too lazy for that, why the urgent need to know the time? :=D

Or then there's my 10 year-old, who wants me to leave the NAS running slimserver on 24/7 because he wants to know hh:mm:ss, and SQN only displays hh:mm.......

kyleki
2006-03-03, 09:27
you CAN connect to squeezenetwork nad get a clock if you want. for now, this is a manual operation, but the intent to to make this more seemless. regardless, some sort of outside interraction is required to have a
clock.I think if this were made an automatic operation, as suggested here, it would accomplish the desired result (provided a power-on signal returned the device back where it was before). Is this a difficult thing to accomplish?

personally, I don't support the use of limited resources in firmware to simply display a clock. there are already too many bloody clocks all over the place.Agreed, that's why I think automatically grabbing it from Squeezenetwork is a good comprimise. It still requires a server of sorts, but doesn't leave the user with a blank squeezebox.

Eserim
2006-03-03, 13:10
Sort of on topic, does anyone know the life expectancy of the display units in SB2/3s?

benthos
2006-03-03, 13:15
I think if this were made an automatic operation, as suggested here, it would accomplish the desired result (provided a power-on signal returned the device back where it was before). Is this a difficult thing to accomplish?

Agreed, that's why I think automatically grabbing it from Squeezenetwork is a good comprimise. It still requires a server of sorts, but doesn't leave the user with a blank squeezebox.

Exactly. I'm not suggesting that the SB3 be equipped in future versions with a clock in the hardware.. as I understand it, the less stuff in the box, the less noise on the signal, so in response to some earlier posts, I agree that it shouldn't have a built-in clock.

But if the firmware can be adapted to allow the SB3 to automatically pull up the clock from the Squeezenetwork when I shut off my computer, that would be cool. Right now, it seems kind of awkward that the SB3 goes blank whenever I shut off my computer.

Chris

kyleki
2006-03-03, 13:36
Sort of on topic, does anyone know the life expectancy of the display units in SB2/3s?This has been discussed a lot elsewhere in these forums. Here's what a few searches revealed:

Any Risk of screen damage? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18563&highlight=display+life)
Need to worry about display "burn in"? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=7614&highlight=display+life)
Screen saver question? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15334&highlight=display+burn)
Graphic display: will it burn in or wear out? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=10573&highlight=display+burn)

(The Search function is your friend) ;-)

superbad
2006-03-03, 22:34
I can't believe there are people who shut off their computers. I seriously haven't turned my computer off (apart from when I've had to move or replace it) since I first got DSL in 1997. How do you people get your email (or check the weather, or look stuff up)? I know it saves power, but so does shutting off the heat and putting on a sweater, or turning off the lights and burning candles, and nobody does that. I'd go crazy if I had to wait for the computer to start up every time I wanted to listen to some music.

kyleki
2006-03-03, 22:43
I run slimserver on the Linux side of a dual boot machine. Sometimes I do boot into Windows which leaves my SB2 display blank until I boot back to Linux. The machine is always running, but not always in a 'slim-friendly' way. ;-)

The main reason I don't also run slimserver from the Windows side is all the music is currently stored on a logical volume under Fedora Core 4, which Windows can't mount/see. Plus, I'd really hate to deal with running perl under Windows... yuck!

stinkingpig
2006-03-03, 22:53
kyleki wrote:
> I run slimserver on the Linux side of a dual boot machine. Sometimes I
> do boot into Windows which leaves my SB2 display blank until I boot
> back to Linux. The machine is always running, but not always in a
> 'slim-friendly' way. ;-)
>
> The main reason I don't also run slimserver from the Windows side is
> all the music is currently stored on a logical volume under Fedora Core
> 4, which Windows can't mount/see. Plus, I'd really hate to deal with
> running perl under Windows... yuck!
>

Perl is fine on Windows -- a bit annoying to deal with the filename
conversion issues until you realize you should use / instead of \,
otherwise it's no biggie. I haven't seen any performance difference. I
don't run Slimserver on Windows because my Windows boxes are all
laptops, but I do write Perl scripts on Windows.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996

mikeb
2006-03-03, 23:11
kyleki wrote:
> I run slimserver on the Linux side of a dual boot machine. Sometimes I
> do boot into Windows which leaves my SB2 display blank until I boot
> back to Linux. The machine is always running, but not always in a
> 'slim-friendly' way. ;-)
>
> The main reason I don't also run slimserver from the Windows side is
> all the music is currently stored on a logical volume under Fedora Core
> 4, which Windows can't mount/see. Plus, I'd really hate to deal with
> running perl under Windows... yuck!
>
>

You could either lay down $100 or so for a machine to run Slimserver
in Linux, or just convert the share with the MP3s to something both
OSes can mount and run slimserver on both sides.

Or.. just do the logical thing and stay in Linux =).

--mikeb

pfarrell
2006-03-04, 06:18
superbad wrote:
> I can't believe there are people who shut off their computers. I
> seriously haven't turned my computer off (apart from when I've had to
> move or replace it) since I first got DSL in 1997.

Mine go down periodically, have to change batteries in the UPS,
upgrade the OS, etc. My slimserver's current stats are:

(beatles)/home/pfarrell> uptime
08:15:04 up 257 days, 20:26, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.07, 0.08

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html